New record for the Rock Pile

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See? Subaru IS the brand you need. Try that in your F150 pickup... :D

Ummmm, don't some hiking paths cross over the auto road? This seems really unsafe.

Did they close the entire auto road down for this?

Have to admit it's still pretty cool though =)

Last edited:
See? Subaru IS the brand you need. Try that in your F150 pickup... :D

I'd give it a shot, in someone else's pickup! :D I took mine to the top the traditional way and can imagine I'd be fighting (and likely losing) against a lot of tail-wag especially on the upper sections.

That's a dang impressive time, but I'd like to see Sprongl do it in the same "specially prepared WRX-STI".

no kidding Smitty. So would I.

June 22-26 2011. I'll be there.

"That's a dang impressive time, but I'd like to see Sprongl do it in the same "specially prepared WRX-STI".

Sue

" Breeze", my heart dog of 15 years, has moved to RFD Rainbow Bridge. I'll keep the screen name, but sign my own.

no kidding Smitty. So would I.

June 22-26 2011. I'll be there.
NICE, right on my birthday! I'll have to put that one on the calendar.

Both cars were AWD (Sprongl did his run in an Audi Quattro) but I imagine suspension technology and AWD systems in general have come a long way in that last 12 years.

Some real differences, as would be expected for a 12 year span of time.....

A couple miles of the Auto Road have been paved since Frank made his run in 1998.

Frank's Quattro was a left-foot-clutch-shift manual, not the thumb-tab +/-on -the- wheel-sport shift on the WRX.

Frank had a history of racing on the MWAR, Travis saw it first on Tuesday 9/7.

Red Bull is going to have some vid of Travis' run on the web on Monday, there are some pics on the MWAR Facebook page.

Sue

( ETA IMHO the next record will probably be had by shaving after-the-decimal places from 6:20.47.)

Last edited:
Frank's Quattro was a left-foot-clutch-shift manual, not the thumb-tab +/-on -the- wheel-sport shift on the WRX.

I noticed that watching Sprongl's run on the auto road website. Just the difference in the paddle-shifter gearbox would be enough to shave that much time off of the record. Nothing against Pastrana as he IS certifiably nuts and a heck of a dirt bike racer (and now auto racer), but I have a feeling that record won't stand for long.

Wonder how Sebastian Loeb or other World Rally Championship drivers times would be? have a funny feeling they would break it.

My gut feeling is any one who wants to show Travis the gate now is going to be looking at 6.20.30 or better, and good fricking luck with that.

It is Up for grabs and all weather dependent

Frank Sprongl laid down a tough act to follow in a venue that is not in the least forgiving.

Sue

Last edited:
Bump!

For those interested, I just read that the record drive will be shown on NBC's World of Adventure Sports this Sunday, 10/31 at 3:00pm.

He took 22 seconds off David Higgins' 2014 record (6:06 IIRC). Crazy. Higgins went off course and crashed on the hairpin at the Nelson Crag trail intersection with the auto road. If you have a chance, it's a fun day to hike NC to the hairpin. The race returns same weekend in 2020. Even if you are not a rally race person (I'm not), it's quite interesting to watch and the spectating at the start is free for the practice runs until the last day and then $10 on race day.