Mahoosuc Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty E

Reaction score
Hey with all the recent traverse records going on, is there a standard set for a Mahoosuc Traverse?? Or is that trail considered too tough for a traverse attempt??

My late Dad, Albert List Jr., always told the story of doing it in 10:15 with Brookie Dodge back in the late 40's when he was a hut boy, eating only oranges which they pealed as they ran. He claimed they set the record. The quasi-official "Fastest Known Time" site for such things at:
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/
lists no FKT for the Mahoosucs Traverse.
10:15 sounds like a good time, but I have no doubt some of the fast guys could go a lot faster.

But what, exactly, constitutes a Mahoosuc Traverse? If a Fastest Known Time is to be set (not by me), this would have to be defined.

Seems to me like it should start on the Old Speck Trail at Rt. 26 in Grafton Notch, and first hit the summit of Old Speck before starting on the Mahoosuc Trail.

But what about at the end? The current AMC guide has the Mahoosuc Tr. ending at Hogan Rd. in Gorham. But you can still find your way to Rt. 16 north of Gorham, which is where it used to end, I think, although the route is different than what it was in the past. So is the end of a Mahoosuc Traverse at Hogan Rd. or Rt. 16?

Unless it has changed this year, the south end of the Mahoosuc trail ends officially at the Hogan Road. The owners of the hyrdo station that fenced off the old route, have posted signs to route hikers away from the old route across the dam but then dumps them on the east side of the river with no trail signs or blazes.

There is a logical reroute via the combined natural gas/ line powerline clearing but there doesnt seem to be a lot of interest to do this reroute or blaze the bypass. At least the pedestrian bridge was replaced at RT 16 last year, although you still need to duck under the cross braces.