Thread: Mahoosuc Traverse

Mahoosuc Traverse

Hey with all the recent traverse records going on, is there a standard set for a Mahoosuc Traverse?? Or is that trail considered too tough for a traverse attempt??

My late Dad, Albert List Jr., always told the story of doing it in 10:15 with Brookie Dodge back in the late 40's when he was a hut boy, eating only oranges which they pealed as they ran. He claimed they set the record. The quasi-official "Fastest Known Time" site for such things at:
    http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/
    lists no FKT for the Mahoosucs Traverse.
    10:15 sounds like a good time, but I have no doubt some of the fast guys could go a lot faster.

A quick search got me to this site which lists the Mahoosuc Traverse record at 20:55.
    For special purposes a hunting knife is superior, as are double-bitted axes, cavalry sabers, Gatling guns, and dynamite, but the modest mountaineer contents himself with a modest blade. -The Mountaineers (from second edition of FOTH)

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. -Mitch Hedberg (1968-2005)

Quote Originally Posted by woodsxc View Post
    A quick search got me to this site which lists the Mahoosuc Traverse record at 20:55.
    That is the book time, not the record which, I suspect, is substantially faster

But what, exactly, constitutes a Mahoosuc Traverse? If a Fastest Known Time is to be set (not by me), this would have to be defined.

Seems to me like it should start on the Old Speck Trail at Rt. 26 in Grafton Notch, and first hit the summit of Old Speck before starting on the Mahoosuc Trail.

But what about at the end? The current AMC guide has the Mahoosuc Tr. ending at Hogan Rd. in Gorham. But you can still find your way to Rt. 16 north of Gorham, which is where it used to end, I think, although the route is different than what it was in the past. So is the end of a Mahoosuc Traverse at Hogan Rd. or Rt. 16?

Unless it has changed this year, the south end of the Mahoosuc trail ends officially at the Hogan Road. The owners of the hyrdo station that fenced off the old route, have posted signs to route hikers away from the old route across the dam but then dumps them on the east side of the river with no trail signs or blazes.

There is a logical reroute via the combined natural gas/ line powerline clearing but there doesnt seem to be a lot of interest to do this reroute or blaze the bypass. At least the pedestrian bridge was replaced at RT 16 last year, although you still need to duck under the cross braces.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Ellozy View Post
    That is the book time, not the record which, I suspect, is substantially faster
    My bad. I thought 21 hours sounded pretty darn slow...
    For special purposes a hunting knife is superior, as are double-bitted axes, cavalry sabers, Gatling guns, and dynamite, but the modest mountaineer contents himself with a modest blade. -The Mountaineers (from second edition of FOTH)

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. -Mitch Hedberg (1968-2005)