Down Hill Biking on Mt. Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. X

Reaction score
No I'm not trolling here, but I am going to ask something that may be viewed as controversial. Mt. Moosilauke, the carriage road in particular draws my downhill ego. I want to Mt. Bike down it. Would I look at being fined etc? I know people are probably going to get pissed any way, but I want to do it. I'm just looking at what consequences I may be looking at.

It is not allowed. The trail is specifically posted against biking. Please do not attempt it. I've caught people doing it and just informed them that it not allowed but never did anything beyond that.

-dave-

Mr. X said:
No I'm not trolling here, but I am going to ask something that may be viewed as controversial. Mt. Moosilauke, the carriage road in particular draws my downhill ego. I want to Mt. Bike down it. Would I look at being fined etc? I know people are probably going to get pissed any way, but I want to do it. I'm just looking at what consequences I may be looking at.

Faceplant.

Now to stir the pot a bit...

In the winter, can I ski down the Carriage Road?
If so, how is this different than biking down in the summer? I can go just a fast on skis. (Actually, I go faster...I'm terrible on a mountain bike.)

Just curious...

skiing doesnt contribute to trail erosion however. I am an avid mountain biker, and I know for a fact that bikes cause quite a bit of trail damage on trails intended only for walking. If I were to bike moosilauke, I would bike up pre-dawn, and then bike down after sunrise. This will at least limit the number of people you will piss off, if you must[\i] bike it.

-percious

I am an avid mtn biker and I just have to say that if the trail is posted "no biking" then do not bike it. Period. Poaching trails just leads to getting banned from more trails. Be a responsible biker so you dont ruin it for the rest of us.

- darren

Next logical question would be if one can bike down it in winter (studded tires and all that)... :)

Jay

As others have said, the trail will suffer from mountain bikes. The water bars and rock steps are not designed to handle mountain bike traffic and will erode as a result. I've already fixed up damage as a result of bikers on this and other trails.

Since I contributed a large amount of time building that trail, I really don't want to go back and do it again. Please don't ride bikes on the Carriage Road. No exceptions, no early morning rides, no bikes. It's tresspassing on private land and it's wrong.

Skiing and snow mobiling, which might seem like they would cause damage, actually have little or no effect on the soil. If you could bike down on top of the snowcover I personally wouldn't have a problem, but I don't think it would be much fun.

If you must bike, find places where it is legal and welcome. They are out there, enjoy.

-dave-

Dave Metsky's correct. (Gee, how often does that happen -- Metsky displaying knowledge of trails on Moosilauke?) If you bike Moosilauke, you're damaging a shared resource and potentially hurting bike access to other areas. Plus you just might be stricken with hantavirus for violating Dartmouth's rules. (Sincere apologies if that's not funny.)

It won't fulfill your downhill fix, but Tunnel Brook and the North-South Road offer a nice loop from the Blueberry Mtn trailhead...

"I'm just looking at what consequences I may be looking at."

You mean the obvious tearing up of the trail for your own selfish gain?

Allright, you guy's got me thinking it through more thoroughly and I now realize that, yes it is a bad idea to ride down a hiking trail. The thought crossed my mind and it has now past after reading the responses to this thread. Hey, if I didn't post something controversial, I just wouldn't be Mr. X now would I?

Rock the house y'all!

el-bagr said:

It won't fulfill your downhill fix, but Tunnel Brook and the North-South Road offer a nice loop from the Blueberry Mtn trailhead...
That's actually a nice and fairly well used ride, on a trail that is pretty well suited for bike traffic. The Livermore Road is good as well, plus Loon has (don't know if they still do) offers downhill biking from the ski slopes. I think Waterville ran the Snows Mountain lift for bikers but has stopped that now.

There are many options in the national forest, and many more just outside the boundries.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Skiing and snow mobiling, which might seem like they would cause damage, actually have little or no effect on the soil. -dave-

Hey Dave,

This brings up an interesting topic. Are snowmobiles allowed up there in the winter? Does anyone happen to know if there are good spots where snowmobile-accessed downhill skiing might exist?

Snowmobiles are allowed up the Carriage Road to a point roughly 1000' from the junction with the Glencliff trail. That is where the AT corridor starts and no motorized traffic is allowed there.

Working cooperatively with the Asquam Snowmobile Club we obtained funds for rebuilding the Carriage Road as a multi-use trail. The only forms of non-emergency traffic allowed is foot traffic of any sort and snowmobiles. Bikes and horses are specifically excluded.

Snowmobiles have been riding up the mountain since the 60's, and it was decided that they would continue to have access to the point below the ridge. Previously, they rode all the way to the summit, and while some occasionally still attempt it most obey the rules and stop at the snowmobile turnaround.

I've never seen anyone transported up the mountain for skiing purposes.

-dave-

I never even thought about the erosion issue. That's a great point. I was thinking more about the speed and potential for crashing into an ascending hiker. That would also be...well, bad.

So, how's the traffic in the winter with snowmobiles and skiers and hikers and whatnot?

trailbiscuit said:
I never even thought about the erosion issue. That's a great point. I was thinking more about the speed and potential for crashing into an ascending hiker. That would also be...well, bad.
Both are bad. I think it would be very difficult to share a downhill bike run with up and down hiker traffic. The differing speeds and relative quiet of a bike would be very dangerous, especially on the turns.

So, how's the traffic in the winter with snowmobiles and skiers and hikers and whatnot?
It can get interesting as well, but snowmobiles rarely sneak up on you. They are generally very curtious and slow down while passing skiers. I let them know if there are more skiers ahead of me or behind. We coordinate so all the skiers move to one side of the trail leaving as much room as possible for the sleds.

I haven't had many problems while skiing down. Either just lucky or the sleds are done earlier in the day. Still, it's always important to stay in control so you can stop and get out of the way if needed.

I ski Gorge Brook and Snapper more than I do the Carriage Road.

-dave-

I agree with Post'r Boy, I mean Metsky. Sorry I'm just so used to saying Post'r Boy. Anyway's I had once taken a bomb down a trail on Techuseh and it was super sketchy/bad move. Between that experience and the reaction of the community here I think I will avoid biking on designated hiking trails.

I want no trouble, Ich beendigte :D

Next logical question would be if one can bike down it in winter (studded tires and all that)... :)

Jay

I saw what looked like fat bike ( fat tire mountain bike) tracks on the Summit Ridge yesterday. The tracks were not recent they were in the old frozen crusty layer. So it appears somebody may have given it a go.

I saw what looked like fat bike ( fat tire mountain bike) tracks on the Summit Ridge yesterday. The tracks were not recent they were in the old frozen crusty layer. So it appears somebody may have given it a go.
Interesting development. I'll mention it to the folks at the DOC - might be time to revisit at least part of the policy.