Let's Discuss Traction Aids

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Micro-spikes vs. snowshoes

Micro-spikes are a great invention that has nicely filled a niche, but I think they're being overused as a substitute for snowshoes. The niche they fill involves ice--or at least hard-packed slippery snow, but I see many people using them in regular-old snow. I spent Sunday trying to avoid postholes on the Avalon and A-Z Trails up Tom & Field. Avalon up to A-Z was fairly well broken out, but it wasn't hard-packed and it wasn't icy. There was 3-4 inches of loose snow on A-Z and it was unevenly packed under that.

I saw seven hikers all day: three wearing snowshoes, three wearing only Micros, and one with no traction at all (OK, well, he was a dog).

Many of the post-holes had nice, pointy Spike-marks cut down into them.

Not that anybody is waiting breathlessly more my review on these (VERY) inexpensive traction aids...BUT: I spent the better part of the day yesterday snow-blowing and shoveling while wearing these. I tried them on 2 different hiking boots, one has the heel lip for crampons/bindings. They worked well while on but one or the other fell off both sets of boots after a while. I think they'd be great as back-up/give aways if you rigged a secondary strap from the toe to the heel back to the toe with some cord or straps. I'm going to try that next on trail runners for road and trail and see what happens. They're definately not MicroSpikes.

As a new MicroSpike owner I agree they're wonderful but I still see the flat screw heads of Stabilicers are still my gear of choice for snow blowing/shoveling in the icy paved driveway and wood deck. The MS are a touch too long for that stuff damaging both the spike and the surface.

As a new MicroSpike owner I agree they're wonderful but I still see the flat screw heads of Stabilicers are still my gear of choice for snow blowing/shoveling in the icy paved driveway and wood deck. The MS are a touch too long for that stuff damaging both the spike and the surface.

completely agree, I was cross-referencing uses, not intending to recommend microspikes for the driveway or road. these cheap things lashed up should be good for driveway, road, and friends, though.

I'd be concerned that Stabilicers would damage wood decks.

Doug

I'd be concerned that Stabilicers would damage wood decks.

Doug

Not really that bad and much less damage then the MicroSpikes would have done. With a layer of ice on it from the previous storm better a few scratches than a few trips on my "lower regions" and the Stabilicers were the lesser of two evils.

What's the ADK rule for snowshoes, etc, and for what time period?

What's the ADK rule for snowshoes, etc, and for what time period?

Flotation--either snowshoes or skis--are required by law if there is 8" or more of snow. If you're using crampons or other traction instead, and they're not required for safe travel, then you can still be ticketed.

Micro-spikes are a great invention that has nicely filled a niche, but I think they're being overused as a substitute for snowshoes. The niche they fill involves ice--or at least hard-packed slippery snow, but I see many people using them in regular-old snow. I spent Sunday trying to avoid postholes on the Avalon and A-Z Trails up Tom & Field. Avalon up to A-Z was fairly well broken out, but it wasn't hard-packed and it wasn't icy. There was 3-4 inches of loose snow on A-Z and it was unevenly packed under that.

I saw seven hikers all day: three wearing snowshoes, three wearing only Micros, and one with no traction at all (OK, well, he was a dog).

Many of the post-holes had nice, pointy Spike-marks cut down into them.

I also went up that trail yesterday. I barebooted up to A_Z without any problem. In fact I noticed that the MSRs of the person who preceded me actually dug up the trail more than my spikes did. MSRs are great snowshoes, but they are not always real trail friendly. After that on A_Z I put on my MSRs because that part of the trail was not as well packed. Coming down I must have passed twenty some people. Interestingly, I noticed that while some were wearing spikes, the trail had actually improved because of the number of folks with snowshoes or skis who had gone through and packed out the trail. I also noted that while Lauky was able to walk along on the top of the snow some of the larger dogs were postholing. The thought occurred to me that a large dog moving quickly down hill could suffer injury with a posthole like that.

I agree, Stableicers are much better for the type of conditions you mention. I've been told that many oil companies issue them to their drivers, albeit with copper non spark cleats. I also think Stableicers have a bit of an advantage when descending steep, soft unconsolidated snow. The type of condition where you might go sailing off into the wild blue yonder with snowshoes.

Flotation--either snowshoes or skis--are required by law if there is 8" or more of snow. If you're using crampons or other traction instead, and they're not required for safe travel, then you can still be ticketed.

I know the rule but who has ever gotten a ticket?

I picked up a pair of Hillsound trail crampons a few weeks back and got a chance to test them in varying conditions in the last few weeks. As otheres have experienced, the Hillsounds have better grip on water ice. There were reports of them being more prone to balling up with snow. I hiked with a friend who had microspikes in conditions very well suited for balling up with snow and didnt see any significant difference. Two others with us had standard crampons and they had to take them off once off an icy section due to near immediate snow build up.

I have used them on 5 hikes so far and no durability issues. They do take a bit longer to put on and get them positioned correctly.

At this point I regard them as an improvement over Katoohla microspikes. Their availlability is more limited than microspikes.(I bought them over the web from a shop in Bar Harbor). I do like the velcor strap as it keeps them on a bit tighter. By observing microspike users, I think the chain damage is higher when the chains are loose from the rubber ring sliding down on the foot while hiking, the velcro strap counters this tendency to slide down so I speculate they may be less prone to link seperation.

I
At this point I regard [Hillsound] as an improvement over Katoohla microspikes. Their availlability is more limited than microspikes.(I bought them over the web from a shop in Bar Harbor). I do like the velcor strap as it keeps them on a bit tighter. By observing microspike users, I think the chain damage is higher when the chains are loose from the rubber ring sliding down on the foot while hiking, the velcro strap counters this tendency to slide down so I speculate they may be less prone to link seperation.

So, given Grouseking's recent loss, it might be a good idea for Katoohla owners to add those velcro strap things you can buy to add gear...

If you search ADKHPs, you might find a thread about same, perhaps deleted by now. But yes, they DO give tickets, and let's just say especially to those who provoke the authorities.

I know about "that one" but that's the only one I've heard about. Never heard or met anyone else gotting a ticket and god knows I've seen lots of violators.

I know about "that one" but that's the only one I've heard about. Never heard or met anyone else gotting a ticket and god knows I've seen lots of violators.

A violator would soon feel the burning death-ray stares of compliers, which have been theorized as the actual cause of post-holes, sort of like grounding out after being struck by lightning.

A violator would soon feel the burning death-ray stares of compliers, which have been theorized as the actual cause of post-holes, sort of like grounding out after being struck by lightning.
There were lots of violators in the Catskills recently! At least right now, the snow is so hard, they would really have to try hard to post hole! :D

This rule only applies to the High Peaks Wilderness. It does not apply to the rest of the Park (including the High Peaks in the Giant and Dix Mountain Wilderness Areas, as well as Whiteface and Esther), nor does it apply to the Catskills (AFAIK, the regulations state that it is specifically for the High Peaks Wilderness only). That's not to say that it's not a bad idea to use snowshoes or skis when the conditions require them in other areas.

I know the rule but who has ever gotten a ticket?

Most people are either asked to put their snowshoes on (if they are carrying them) or to leave the woods (if they didn't bring them in with them at all) when encountered by a ranger. I've only ever heard of those that acted negatively towards the ranger when approached getting ticketed.

Last edited:
T'is the Season!

BUMP! (Lots of good stuff above here to read).

Does anyone know of any new gadgets that are available?

I'm still waiting for the push-button, retractable crampon spikes for my boots! :D

My usage is similiar to Tim's. I carry only Micro-spikes like from now until full blown winter, then I add snowshoes and crampons. Sometimes I use crampons, sometimes microspikes in the winter, I used to dump the micros when i added crampons, but the micros are so much better for hiking its worth the weight to carry both and use whats appropiate, my dam packs so heavy anyway its a moot point.

Bump, on a recurring thread.

Newbies, there is some good stuff here, and most of it written by people other than me! :D Take the time to skim thru it.

This is not just a gear review thread, it's a preparedness thread as well.