FYI: Northern Pass High Voltage Transmission Project

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree NP played this one well. Somewhat like the previous failed Ride the Wilds deal, they didn't care on the damage that would occur to their partner. Unfortunately it doesn't play as well for the Balsams. Large developments like this live or die on how they are perceived by the finance community. The goal is to establish a "feeding frenzy" where less sophisticated investors feel that they have to get in at the bottom floor or they will miss out. Les Otten is a pro at spin and contrary to his stated love of the north country commutes up from his place in the Locke Mills area. This is a retirement project for a bored developer. Dan Dagesse (the person who did the one page ad) is not as skilled (but his background in auto sales implies he also should have some spin skill). His commentary hinted of panic. By indirectly linking the future of the Balsams with NP, other potential investors may shy away as there is now a big "if" associated with the project. As before it was full speed ahead open winter 2016, now its "if NP get approved and continues funding the project" then its full speed ahead. A big IF like that really can dampen down the feeding frenzy. Allowing the schedule to slip to a 2017 start will most likely doom it.

The stated kickoff date for the project has already slipped from "working through the winter (2015 to 2016)" to spring 2016 to now "summer of 2016". The state SEC committee hearing process for NP with 161 interveners is going to be by far the most complex case ever held by the SEC and despite NP optimistically forecasting/demanding a permit by the end of 2016, other individuals are pretty sure at best the process could be done by Mid 2017 with SPNHF shooting for late 2017. This case is not a class action, there are now effectively 160 plus parties all with their own agendas that have the individual right to bring NP reps to the stand and grill them. One or two mistakes in the process and it can reopen the entire case for appeal. Any investor in the initial phase of the Balsams will decidedly be reticent to invest until the NP permitting process is settled as even the developer admits that to get to critical mass to draw in the target users, the project needs to be built out far in excess of the initial phase. Hard to sell Century Club Memberships when there is no assurance when the owner can get his 100 days.

There already is already some local pushback on the Balsams at local hearings on some subsidiary deals that the state made to support the project. The state had agreed to rebuild several local roads and hand them over to the resort and locals are questioning that if the state can come up with cash to rebuild roads for the developer at no charge why cant they fix many other roads in far worse condition that the public can use? If the anti NP folks come out against this, politically it becomes a tar baby for the local elected officials (although Eversource has been pretty effective at buying them off).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the insight PB. This is a very fascinating (to me) saga and, as in most cases like this, there will probably be no clear winners.

The state had agreed to rebuild several local roads and hand them over to the resort and locals are questioning that if the state can come up with cash to rebuild roads for the developer at no charge why cant they fix many other roads in far worse condition that the public can use?

Perhaps b/c the state is more willing to spend the money if it has assurances that there will be increased tax revenue to pay for it down the line.

There is an agreement that I haven't cared to delve into where the majority of the increased taxes due to the development are spent for the project and to pay off the state development bond that will be issued. I believe they have used the Pease Redevelopment Authority approach as a guideline. Where it can get tricky is if Coos county needs to make improvement outside of the development district to support the project. As an example there is very minimal fire and ambulance coverage in this area and I expect someone is going to have to upgrade it to support the ski area.

Another full page ad, this time from Dan Dagesse and Les Otten in the 3/26 Berlin Daily Sun (free registration required to view). http://www.berlindailysun.com/
Dan Dagesse is one of the two owners who had bought the resort from the estate and as or will swap his ownership for minority share in the resort development group. The prior full page letter was by him.

I find the statement "Northern Pass is already supporting North Country Non Profits and economic development groups , and is helping the Balsams stay on track to begin construction this summer". (my underlining). I guess my speculation of linkage of future financing with NP is pretty well confirmed.

There have been several groups in the north country who have returned offers of funding when it was revealed that NP was behind it. There is the somewhat infamous cell tower in the Groveton area built partially with NP funds by one regional non profit that was blocking a regional telecom plan by another non profit, it was resolved but it took a lot of public shaming to force all parties to resolve the mess.

The Request for Proposal for the renewable generation for southern New England has set off a "gold rush" of proposals from all over New England. It changes the economics of NP considerably.

NP is probably in a quandary. The current option of limited burial and insisting upon using the meandering route to justify the massive land purchase in the north country is most likely going to take far longer than they would like. With the recent comments by EPA and DES and potential litigation from multiple fronts means they really cant guarantee a delivery date to move power. They can elect to go full burial which should (but no guarantees) speed up the process to meet the requirements of the southern New England utilities. Unfortunately if they do that and don't win the RFQ process than they are stuck with the more expensive project funded out of their pocket.

The state of Mass is now a major NP supporter (if it becomes law) http://www.utilitydive.com/news/mas...for-12-gw-each-of-offshore-wind-hydro/420698/

Up until this, the Commonwealth of Mass, deliberately defined Canadian hydro as not counting towards the renewable portfolio standard. This was based on long term claims the projects impacted local native tribes and more recently significant environmental impacts associated with landscape level pumped storage hydros. Should this become law, CT will most likely jump on the bandwagon. This makes the NP project far more valuable. Optimistically NP throws in the towel and goes 100% underground but if they pull it off as currently designed its windfall for Eversource.

The sooner they do this the better..3 reasons
1. Cheaper power for New England
2. No more reading about it here..way too much useless info..
3. My stock portfolio wil gain significantly..

Wow more insightful commentary by Drewski. At least this one has a shred of cogent thought with respect to lowering New England power prices, of course fully buried or above ground would reduce power prices. so

It tough seeing someone who actually used to post occasionally rational thoughts degrade to filler like this but when I click on his profile and look at recent posts it looks like they stopped about 5 years ago.

The state of Mass is now a major NP supporter (if it becomes law) http://www.utilitydive.com/news/mas...for-12-gw-each-of-offshore-wind-hydro/420698/

Up until this, the Commonwealth of Mass, deliberately defined Canadian hydro as not counting towards the renewable portfolio standard. This was based on long term claims the projects impacted local native tribes and more recently significant environmental impacts associated with landscape level pumped storage hydros. Should this become law, CT will most likely jump on the bandwagon. This makes the NP project far more valuable. Optimistically NP throws in the towel and goes 100% underground but if they pull it off as currently designed its windfall for Eversource.

Thanks for nothing, Governor Baker.

Why isn't Mass doing more to reduce consumption? I would think that would be a better use of tax dollars than paying corporations money to buy energy...oh wait, I think I answered my own question.