Essentials for bushwhacking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was marveling at all the new names on this thread - then I realized that I was actually looking at 10 year-old postings! A modern technology-related addition to the list: a SPOT beacon. It enables me to periodically report my location and status to my family, and serves as an additional safety measure in the event of adversity. Given the amount of time I spend in the woods, it's a steal at $100/yr (grandfathered; new plans start at $150).

I go in shorts and t-shirt, carry one water bottle and a pack of Nutter Butters. Navigate by dead reckoning and Kentucky windage. Come out of the woods looking like I spent a day wrestling with a bobcat. Makes those "Survivor" dudes look like they spent a day at Club Med. :D

The best Survivor description I heard was "yuppies on a bad Memorial Day camping trip"

essentials for bushwhacking

That whistle is good for emergencies, but in my opinion your group should not get so far apart that they can't see each other. Especially on a bushwhack. That is how people get lost. If you go out as a group, stay together. But also remember that each person should be equipped individually.