Pretty good no-cook power bar recipe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this no-cook power bar recipe. I picked it up on a fitness blog at some point but can't give credit where it's due. don't recall whose it was - it was posted publically at least. Anyway, I thought this one was really good and I'm not tired of them. I can spend a fortune on power bars if I'm not paying attention, but these give me another cheaper option and they were easy to make.

I've wanted to find a home recipe for bars that have more of the store-bought consistency, like Power Bar Protein Plus or some of the others with a "taffy-like" consistency but less gooey if anyone has any good ones.

4 cups oats (not instant, uncooked)
6 scoops protein powder
3 heaping tsp cocoa
1/3 cup sugar free syrup
½ cup applesauce (I needed another 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
3 tsp cinnamon
2 cups slivered almonds
1 cup lowfat peanut butter

Mix everything well in a bowl. Spread out evenly on a cookie sheet and cover with wax paper. Press or roll with rolling pin until even and dense. It's worthwhile to do this part well and press hard. Make them as even as possible and dense. Cut into 18 bars with pizza/pastry cutter, separate with wax paper.

You could use honey instead of syrup or add a mashed banana or more applesauce and skip the syrup. You’ll know you have the right consistency if it feels like a really good arm workout by the time it’s mixed. It doesn’t pour. They’ve kept their taste and shape in the fridge over a week so far but not much experience with them otherwise. I also used the peanut butter jar on its side to roll out the bars flat; easier to manage in the pan than the rolling pin.

Enjoy. Warning, the writer of this post used utensils that may also process peanuts.