awesome trail for May wildflowers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Star King Trail up to about 2,700' or so is a new favorite for May wildflowers. The forest floor around trail is carpeted with spring beauty, red trillium, trout lillies and dutchman's breeches. Also, rose twisted stalks are soon to bloom. I hiked this trail on Saturday with Karen, Jeb and Rocket21. I hiked with them as far as the summit of Star King. Then I went back down to enjoy the flowers as they went on to the summit of Waumbeck, so I had a couple hours on the trail.

Here's a nice 2 yr old bull calf I saw on the way at dawn. I beleive it's my freind Kezossa, who I've watched grow up over the past 2 years, since he was a couple weeks old. He displayed some brazen behavior very young. Once when he was a few months old ne bluff charged me. He ran right up to me and reared up. Yesterday this calf walked right up to me twice.

IMG_6255aaa.jpg

IMG_6262aaa.jpg

As soon as you're on the Star King Trail you'll see tons of wildflowers...

IMG_9136aaa.jpg

IMG_9162aaa.jpg

red trilliums...
IMG_9178aaa.jpg

spring beauty...
IMG_9151aaa.jpg

IMG_9208aaa.jpg

trout lillies...
IMG_9200aaa.jpg

dutchman's breeches...
IMG_9184aaa.jpg

IMG_9172aaa.jpg

such a wonderful place for anyone who enjoys these flowers...

IMG_9180aaa.jpg

IMG_9210aaa.jpg

happy trails

Last edited:
Wow...looks incredible...I've been told I had to get there in the past...now it's a must on the list for next year!

Thanks for taking us along!

Patrick: Nice running into you last evening on the Kanc. Is the picture of the same moose we were watching last night? As usual great pictures. Larry

Impressive images of wonderful wildflowers and an awesome animal! Thanks for sharing, Patrick!

Thanks very much for nice comments!!! Larry, that may have been even though he was kinda far away. Didn't get nearly as close a look as I did in the morning. I'll compare photos and see.

happy trails :)

Fantastic! BTW those "wood sorrels" are Spring Beauties (Claytonia virginica). I've never seen so many!

What a sweetie...the moose. :D
Very nice pics!

Fantastic! BTW those "wood sorrels" are Spring Beauties (Claytonia virginica). I've never seen so many!

Good catch...was just coming back to post the same. Claytonia is it for sure...sorrels won't be out until summer...

Great post. We saw similar displays on Moose Mountain near Lebanon/Hanover yesterday, though many were closed up because of the weather. The close up of the spring beauty is the best I've ever seen.

I wished I had taken more time for better shots on my trip. Left the tripod at home.

Just spectacular Patrick! Spring has definitely sprung full force in the north country. The trail looks like a wildflower meadow! The moose portraits are beautiful (as always). Kezossa looks happy (and was obviously happy to see you). Clearly all your friends (us included) are glad you're back home for spring.