Foot Pain While Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case anybody is interested……

The latest test went well. In my boots, along with my feet, were Superfeet greenies, metatarsal pads, and arch supports. The arch supports were the latest addition.

The weekend hike was ~17 miles and 5100 feet of elevation. Previous to adding the metatarsal pads, I was experiencing severe foot pain at around seven miles. It regularly reached the point that required me to stop. This week, I managed to go through the hike without any stops due to foot pain. That’s not to say the day was pain-free, just a tolerable level of discomfort was experienced. This is a huge improvement.

The combination of metatarsal pads and arch supports seemed to really help.

:)

Earl,

Have you considered custom orthotics? You are obviously having some improvement with do-it-yourself orthotics, but professional ones might do better.

My experience: I was having some foot/lower leg problems and got custom orthotics ~30 years ago. The orthotics solved my problem (and may have also allowed it to heal) and I used them until they wore out. However, I had learned what kind of support I needed and was able to find commercial supports that worked well enough that the problem has not reoccurred.

Anecdote #2: A hiking friend just achieved pain free hiking with custom orthotics after years of problems.

They are expensive, but it sounds like they may be worth the cost for you.

Doug

Earl,

Have you considered custom orthotics? You are obviously having some improvement with do-it-yourself orthotics, but professional ones might do better.

My experience: I was having some foot/lower leg problems and got custom orthotics ~30 years ago. The orthotics solved my problem (and may have also allowed it to heal) and I used them until they wore out. However, I had learned what kind of support I needed and was able to find commercial supports that worked well enough that the problem has not reoccurred.

Anecdote #2: A hiking friend just achieved pain free hiking with custom orthotics after years of problems.

They are expensive, but it sounds like they may be worth the cost for you.

Doug

Hey Doug,

You're probably right with regard to your recommendation. Custom orthotics have been suggested by a couple others that have also had good results with them. At this point I'm trying to learn more about the causes of the discomfort and the effects of various approaches intended to provide relief.

At this point in my current experiments, I have roughly $25 tied up in the metatarsal pads and arch supports. I believe progress is being made but eventually will most likely need to either go for a custom orthotic or an off-the-shelf model that meets my needs. I'm happy to learn you have been able to move from a custom model to an off-the-shelf model and get the job done.

Thanks for your comments. They are very helpful and encouraging.

;)

The final solution is probably simple.....

Custom orthotics, and drop ~50 pounds.

Yeah, simple.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, simple.

Earl - I sometimes wonder what I'd weigh if I didn't hike, especially since I hike a lot and still weigh too much.

I am a big guy to earl ( must be that nashua city water) and I had those same problems with my asolo 520tpv's and my cheap timberland boots I started hiking in. I bought the asolo's cause I thought my foot pain was the result of cheap boots it wasnt. I believe it was Boots in general. The last Hike I did in my boots was cannon and when I was going down the lonsome lake trail I wanted to cut my feet off and crawl the rest of the way. I out about two weeks later and did the kinsmans in my trail runners (merril moab goretex) and my feet felt great I did 7 miles yesterday in them with 40lbs on my back and also felt great. I think the lighter shoes make it easier on you legs and the flex of the sole works well rockhoping you feet mold around the rock instead of smashing them. I do have lynco insoles for my flat feet and those help too

check out this post

Big Earl, I replied to a post regarding foot pain a few years ago. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29012&highlight=footbeds&page=3 check out post #36 in the thread.

It looks like you're on your way to making custom footbeds for your boots.

In addition to what's been mentioned regarding boots I prefer to use a boot with a full shank. I find my feet feel better after hiking on the rocky paths in the whites.

PM me if you want. I make custom footbeds in North Woodstock, NH. It takes about 1 1/2 hours from analysis to have the footbeds in your boots.

Jim

Earl - I sometimes wonder what I'd weigh if I didn't hike, especially since I hike a lot and still weigh too much.
A couple years ago I stopped hiking for about nine months. My weight shot up ~fifty pounds. My doctor told me to get back on the trail. It’s easier to stop hiking than it is to stop eating. It didn’t take long to get back to where I was, but there’s still ~50 hanging around that I’d really like to unload.

I am a big guy to earl ( must be that nashua city water) and I had those same problems with my asolo 520tpv's and my cheap timberland boots I started hiking in. I bought the asolo's cause I thought my foot pain was the result of cheap boots it wasnt. I believe it was Boots in general. The last Hike I did in my boots was cannon and when I was going down the lonsome lake trail I wanted to cut my feet off and crawl the rest of the way. I out about two weeks later and did the kinsmans in my trail runners (merril moab goretex) and my feet felt great I did 7 miles yesterday in them with 40lbs on my back and also felt great. I think the lighter shoes make it easier on you legs and the flex of the sole works well rockhoping you feet mold around the rock instead of smashing them. I do have lynco insoles for my flat feet and those help too
Thanks.

I wouldn’t know about the water, I’m on a well. :)

I’ve used various types of boot and found the problem remains generally unchanged. Boot type doesn’t seem to make a difference, as long as the sole offers adequate protection from rocky trails. If it’s too pliable my feet take a real beating. The primary difference between the clunky leathers and the lighter models is durability. Boots like the Merrell you mentioned last only about three months. Another leather boot (Vasque Summit GTX) gave me over three years of service and will be ready to go again as soon as they’re resoled. The Asolo Powermatic 500’s are going into their third year and still in great shape. I plan to resole them as well. I'll get at least one more year from them before sending them to the shop.

:D

Big Earl, I replied to a post regarding foot pain a few years ago.
……
Jim
Thanks Jim,

I appreciate the link. Interesting information.

;)

About 6 years ago I was having a lot of foot pain and because I was going out to Mt. Rainier I went to a foot doctor. I could hike for about five or six miles before I wanted crutches or a couch! (I've seen people hike in arm casts, but never with crutches, have you?)

The doctor told me he couldn't find anything wrong and said (without my asking) that he wouldn't give me a cortisone shot because I'm a hiker. I think that was because he thought I'd just be back in for more pain killing substances. As it turned out, when on Rainier I didn't have any foot trouble and at the time I thought it was because my feet really liked the cast-like (?) support of my plastic boots.

Turns out my foot pain moved around so much it was determined to be nerve pain from undiagnosed Lyme disease.

Just some thoughts outside the hiking box.

What do you wear on your feet when you're not hiking?

Do You walk around the house bare foot much? I find that's helps me a lot, especially walking up and down stairs barefoot.

Do you do toe-raises or try to grab a piece of paper off the floor with your toes?

On a somewhat related note, both a highly-respected PT that I know & Peter Limmer scoff at arch-support insoles such as Superfeet, saying that, outside of exceptional circumstances, they are unnecessary and their use can lead to weakening of the foot muscles.

OTH, as others have mentioned in this thread, and as Peter Limmer will tell you, a good shank will save you a lot of energy, making your foot more comfortable over the course of a long, hard day's hike.

What do you wear on your feet when you're not hiking?

Do You walk around the house bare foot much? I find that's helps me a lot, especially walking up and down stairs barefoot.

Do you do toe-raises or try to grab a piece of paper off the floor with your toes?

Hey, now you're getting personal.

;)

I usually travel the house with bare feet except in cold months when I'll probably wear socks.

Outside, it's usually sneakers or work boots.

I exercise my toes only if there is no discomfort at all. If there is pain remaining from a prior hike, I'll give them more time to heal up and recover.

Unfortunately, due to medication I am taking for heart issues, NSAIDs are off-limits. Darn!

This weekend I decided to try another test to see what I could learn.

In researching possible problems that are in-line with the symptoms I am experiencing, I have realized the condition could be a neuroma, also known as a pinched nerve. One common condition is known as Morton’s neuroma. As I understand it, this most commonly occurs in the area between the third and fourth toes. The condition can occur in other locations but this is the most common location. Evidently it is caused by the nerves in this area being subjected to irritation, injury, or pressure. If you’re interested in a more detailed discussion of Morton’s Neuroma, Google it.

Assuming this might be the problem, my logic says if I can prevent the irritation, injury, or pressure perhaps I can avoid the pain. If the cause relates to pinched nerves, a possible prevention could be simply a matter preventing the nerves from being pinched. To me this seems logical, and possibly simple.

I considered taping pads to the toes but decided there was probably an easier solution. I went looking for some toe sleeves to keep the toes from being squeezed together. I assumed if I kept the third and fourth toes a minimum distance apart, the associated bones could not cause the pinched nerve condition and resulting pain. I know, there are a few assumptions involved here but that’s all I have to work with. I managed to locate the needed toe sleeves and prepared to use them on this week’s hike.

All day throughout the hike, I could not feel the toe sleeves. In other words, they did not create an uncomfortable condition inside my boots. I wore the same sock combination as usual and tied my boots as usual. I was able to wiggle my toes inside my boots as usual. There seemed to be no real change, except for one. The pain was nearly gone. I was able to hike all day (~17 miles and ~4000 feet) with no significant discomfort. The day wasn’t without foot pain, but I enjoyed a significant change for the better.

It looks like I’m making progress.

Where did you find the toe sleeves, Earl?
Hi Kevin,

The simple answer is Google.

Once I found a large variety of commercial toe sleeve products, I started looking for a local source. To my surprise they are commonly in-stock near the off-the-shelf foot care products in various retail stores.

And, they're cheap. The foam sleeves I purchased were $2.50 for a package of three. Each one can be cut into four sections, which is all I need (two toes on each foot = four sleeves). I believe they can be washed and re-used, but at this price it's not a big deal.

I'm really encouraged by this.

Glad to hear you are making progress Earl. :)

Unfortunately, you already mentioned the solution for my feet but I have confirmed osteoarthritis in both ankles. meh

Thanks, Earl.

Actually, before I posted I did Google them, and got an immediate hit via Amazon. Just wondered it you found them at a local Rite-Aid, etc.

In fact, I found the ones that I'm trying at the Christmas Tree Shop.

The local store has put in a large department of personal care and first aid items. In this department, they have brand name items at very good prices. Their selection of toe sleeves is limited but there are a few different types there.

You travel in fast company, Earl. Do you suppose the elves suffer from Morton’s neuroma, or just Santa? ;)

More accurately - Cheap Company!

Imagine a large junk store, but with clean floors. The majority of stuff at the place has "Made In China" stamped on it. But, they have this large department of personal care and first aid products that are all brand name stuff - and cheap.

They have prices even a hiker would love.

;)