Can I carry Microspikes on board my flight ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has always had to pack her hiking poles in checked luggage, for US Air, Delta, and Jet Blue. In fact we always check our hiking gear because of knives, crampons, etc., so we've never tried to sneak microspikes aboard.

Never had a problem with a stove or fuel bottles in checked luggage, although I've probably jinxed myself now.

My wife has always had to pack her hiking poles in checked luggage, for US Air, Delta, and Jet Blue. In fact we always check our hiking gear because of knives, crampons, etc., so we've never tried to sneak microspikes aboard.

Never had a problem with a stove or fuel bottles in checked luggage, although I've probably jinxed myself now.
Sneak? I would never attempt to sneak metal spikes thru a metal detector! :confused:

In any case, the trip is underway, and the M.S. are at home...

Never had a problem with a stove or fuel bottles in checked luggage, .

I made the stupid-ass mistake of answering truthfully when I was asked if I had a stove. I had it out of my pack, in a new padded water-bottle holder, clearly marked "campstove" so nobody would rummage through my carefully packed pack, and everything was tucked into a larger duffle duffle bag (along with other items that were not pack-bound, i.e. poles & boots).

If I just said "no" there was no way she was going to dig through my pack.

Live in learn...lying is the way to go....:rolleyes:

Microspikes on Airlines

Have you considered wearing them around your neck as jewelry, like a hiker style spiked collar?

Seriously, check them or send them ahead in a package using USPS or Fedex.

did anyone find out about the microspikes in carry on? going to colorado tomorrow--not sure if i will need them or not-not a hiking trip but hope to do a dayhike in denver area...

I've flown twice to Reno with microspikes in an old nalgene bottle in my checked-in baggage w/o any issue. Usually my boots go in my pack as a carry on as it would be harder and more expensive to replace worn-in hiking boots than $60 microspikes...

Jay

I've never flown anywhere that I took Microspikes that I didn't also take poles (so I had to check something). That said, having flown into and out of DEN >50 times now, the TSA people here are quite reasonable, more than most I've met. So if you can get them in, you can likely get them back out again.

If you wear them around your neck in Boulder, you might actually get some admiring looks. :)

PS- Microspikes are perfect for a lot of conditions around here right now, as snow cover is still pathetically thin. You would have to look long and hard to find any avy danger this week.

One thing to keep in mind too for those mailing gear and supplies ahead, rules regarding fuel in the mail have drastically changed over the years. A little over ten yers ago, you could have it shipped from EMS etc. not so easy now. Multifuel stoves or making sure the fuel you need is available near your destination make life a little easier.

OK at LaGuardia

Is this doable? Are they permitted? Any first hand knowledge? (Flying American Airlines if it matters)

What about collapsible hiking poles?

Any other common hiking items that are forbidden?

Hi Tom -

First hand knowledge: I successfully flew out of LaGuardia this past Monday November 11, 2013. I had a lot of extra time in case I had to go back through security and check a bag, and I put the micro-spikes in their box in a tub with just a few other things in it so that they easily could be identified and rejected if they cared. But there was no problem. I did the usual opt-out of the backscatter X-Ray machines and that took some time; but my luggage was a non-issue.

It was handy I didn't check baggage, because I was able to switch to an earlier flight, and not miss my connection in Chicago to Alaska. I think the fact after I made it through security that I flew United, and the fact that my final destination was Alaska were irrelevant to the judgment of the guy at the metal detector.

- Stefan (a.k.a. Team Danger Girl's GPS)

Hi Tom -

First hand knowledge: I successfully flew out of LaGuardia this past Monday November 11, 2013. I had a lot of extra time in case I had to go back through security and check a bag, and I put the micro-spikes in their box in a tub with just a few other things in it so that they easily could be identified and rejected if they cared. But there was no problem. I did the usual opt-out of the backscatter X-Ray machines and that took some time; but my luggage was a non-issue.

It was handy I didn't check baggage, because I was able to switch to an earlier flight, and not miss my connection in Chicago to Alaska. I think the fact after I made it through security that I flew United, and the fact that my final destination was Alaska were irrelevant to the judgment of the guy at the metal detector.

- Stefan (a.k.a. Team Danger Girl's GPS)

And 11/18/2013 they let me leave Anchorage with microspikes as carry-on, no problem. One of the TSA employees mentioned that she had just bought her second set as the first broke. And indeed this is my second set too, as my first set is on its way out.

At Lukla airport in Nepal a few weeks ago, I witnessed official bag checkers removing peach-sized rocks from duffle bags heading back to Kathmandu and pitching them into a cardboard trash basket. My own Everest Base Camp rock escaped detection.

And 11/18/2013 they let me leave Anchorage with microspikes as carry-on, no problem. One of the TSA employees mentioned that she had just bought her second set as the first broke. And indeed this is my second set too, as my first set is on its way out.

Just some data points from 2014; this time went via Newark successfully with carry-on microspikes to Alaska. Went from AK to Hawaii, no problem. Went from Hawaii back to JFK, also no problem.

For what it's worth, a search on the current TSA website says crampons are permitted in carry-on. If crampons are ok, micros must be. I plan on trying in two weeks. If the TSA agent is on a power trip, I'll try showing them the TSA site on my phone.

For what it's worth, a search on the current TSA website says crampons are permitted in carry-on. If crampons are ok, micros must be. I plan on trying in two weeks. If the TSA agent is on a power trip, I'll try showing them the TSA site on my phone.

I have always shipped ahead to a 24/7 Fedex Depot. UPS hasn't heard of that concept, afaik. For instance I sent my microspikes ahead when hiking the grand canyon.

The problem with carry-on is that everything is left to the judgement of the xray operator and the kind of training they had. I can't see the point in arguing with them, even if you are "right".

Why not just ship everything ahead by Fedex, insured, hold for pickup with ID.

On the other hand, on my last set of flights, the airlines wanted to know that there were no lithium batteries in checked baggage.

The problem with carry-on is that everything is left to the judgement of the xray operator and the kind of training they had. I can't see the point in arguing with them, even if you are "right".
Last I checked (and it's been awhile), there was no definitive written source for TSA travel rules. The website is "guidelines" but the actual rules were conveyed to each airport by phone on a regular basis, no paper trail. I haven't heard of anybody arguing with a checkpoint screener and winning.

On the other hand, on my last set of flights, the airlines wanted to know that there were no lithium batteries in checked baggage.

I would also like to add that they tried to check my carry on (put it in the luggage hold because there was no room in the cabin), but when i told them i had video camera batteries, they grimaced and found space in the cabin.

Lithium batteries are a special case--they must be carried in the cabin due to their fire hazard. (Their fires can be fought in the cabin, but not in the cargo hold.) You may be asked to remove them from checked luggage and bring them as a carry-on.

There are new regulations: https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

Doug

Last edited:
Lithium batteries are a special case--they must be carried in the cabin due to their fire hazard. (Their fires can be fought in the cabin, but not in the cargo hold.) You may be asked to remove them from checked luggage and bring them as a carry-on.

There are new regulations: https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

Doug

Right, but the point was that if you end up in boarding zone 3 or 4 and they want to check your carry-ons, telling them that there are camcorder batteries in the bags may keep your bag in the cabin. It usually goes up front.