Directions please - Stony Creek Leanto

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
I've been down Coreys Road (from Rt. 3) in the past but only as far as Axton Landing.
Passing Axton landing, it looks as if Coreys Road crosses Stoney Creek, correct?...and then continues on for a while...

I'm looking to get to the Stony Creek Leanto.
Pretty sure I need to park at the Raquette Falls Trailhead (Raquette River Horse Trail?) on Coreys Road and then hike south (s.w.) for a short distance...soon coming to a right turn that will take me to the leanto.
Does that sound correct?
From trailhead to leanto...what is the approximate distance?
Thanks a lot!

You are correct. Look for the right fork in the trail which doesn't have a sign, as I remember. It takes about five minutes from the parking area to the lean-to. There is room for tents at the LT site, also. The LT is used more by canoeists and kayakers than hikers, so it could be occupied even if noone is signed in for it at the trailhead.

teejay

That's great. Thanks a lot!
Good point on the "signing in." Will keep that in mind and have a backup plan in case it is occupied by paddlers.
This Stony Creek leanto is where I would like to start a paddle trip actually.

So, this map is wrong, right?
That's Coreys Road crossing Stony Creek.

Last edited:
Your map appears to be correct compared to the National Geographic map. Your map also shows a trail following the creek bank to the lean-to. The trail is there but isn't used much and it would probably be easier to park at the Horse Trail PL. Or, of course, you could put in at the bridge and just paddle to the lean-to. No more than 10 minutes.

teejay

Your map appears to be correct compared to the National Geographic map. Your map also shows a trail following the creek bank to the lean-to. The trail is there but isn't used much and it would probably be easier to park at the Horse Trail PL. Or, of course, you could put in at the bridge and just paddle to the lean-to. No more than 10 minutes.

teejay

Thanks a lot teejay. Thought about paddling to it but it'll probably be like midnight by the time I get to Axton so I think I'll hike it. Unless of course the sky is clear and the moon has everything illuminated on the night I get there. I should look that up and see what phase it'll be in.
Thanks again!

teejay don't help Chris, I picked up a bottle of Omegang after I left you 2 weeks ago and he tells me he's waiting 27 more days to open it :eek: I drove app 250 miles with it in the car into hurricane winds and he tells me this? :confused:

Now he's planning a trip to Axton without me :mad: Glad he goes back to work tomorrow :p but me too :(

Thx for showing me around a few weeks ago. Chris, it's gonna stink meeting my car poolers tomorrow at 6:55 am :(...maybe it's time we go back to wed night paddles! ;) of course check the gates first ;)

Now he's planning a trip to Axton without me :mad: Glad he goes back to work tomorrow :p but me too :(

No way man...just saving you the leg work. Start packin'! ;)

Chris, it's gonna stink meeting my car poolers tomorrow at 6:55 am :(...maybe it's time we go back to wed night paddles! ;) of course check the gates first ;)

I think you are right! And another Caumsette breakfast!
Fall is coming...think of all the great Fall seasonal beers just arriving on the store shelves!...better than Christmas!

There is room for tents at the LT site, also.

The DEC's official stance is that tents are not permitted next to lean-tos. There is a designated campsite a little bit further down the trail beyond the lean-to, however. (In fact, the campsite is nicer than the lean-to!)

The DEC's official stance is that tents are not permitted next to lean-tos. There is a designated campsite a little bit further down the trail beyond the lean-to, however. (In fact, the campsite is nicer than the lean-to!)

Thanks DSettahr...had a feeling.
And yes, sometimes, a tent is a lot nicer than the leanto but this time I think I'm gonna try the leanto. Maybe give it a sweep first and light a fire. I don't know what it is...I just can't stand breaking down a tent in the morning. I'm lazy.

Never actually made it to Stony Creek since I started this thread. After three years, I think I'm finally going to paddle Stony Creek this weekend, then over into the Saranacs. Saturday's weather looking pretty good ;)

Anyway...anyone been to the Stony Creek Leanto lately? I'm guessing not much has changed.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Chris

Just noticed your post Chris. Hope you had a good trip.
Brought back memory from 1975 when I was in college at St Lawrence Univ. During spring melt, my girlfriend and I launched the canoe in Axton. Had to portage over the Stony Creek bridge because there was so much water there was no way a canoe could fit under the bridge. When we camped at the Stony Creek leanto, the water was about 3 feet from the front of the leanto.

Wow that's crazy about the water level! We didn't actually stay in the leanto but checked it out quick...couldn't imagine the water up so high!

Thanks Mike...had a great trip. We had plenty of water too the first day...rained nonstop pretty much.
But the next two days were awesome! Had some fun fishing as well!
Going through the locks was real different...I imagine this area is PACKED in the summer months.
Glad to have finally paddled through this area. Will definitely be going back there for more Northern Pike action ;)

DSCN8107.jpg
DSCN8153.jpg
3lbs 4oz.jpg

Last edited: