brake for moose!!!! let's all be careful!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true, Stan, thanks for the reminder. I often help a snapper in the spring; they go back to wherever to find a mate and taking them to the wrong side will only put them in danger once again.

As for moose, living in Canuckistan and being a life long out of doors man I have a few stories, but I shall spare you all but one.

A former colleague and good friend was out with her boyfriend, who was a friend, and his father. They were driving him home on a four lane divided highway when a tractor trailer going the other way clipped a moose and it jumped, ran and bounced in front of their car. What saved her life is that she was sitting on the back seat out of defference to her friend's father. Both men were killed instantly and she was very badly hurt. This was in Rigaud, Quebec where you would never think to see a moose; we have deer, but, due to parasites specific to each species they are seldom in proximity.

As with horses of similar build to moose, due to their long legs and high body, unlike deer, will hurtle into your windshield faster than an airbag can save you.

Just a thought,

Doug (the other one)

Moose are also out in full daylight. Friday about 1pm I passed someone field-dressing roadkill on 16, roughly Wakefield. Hope he got there in time to save some meat, as it was a warm day.

Last night around 10:30 our group passed several moose wandering the side of 302 just between Mt. Clinton Rd. and Twin Mountain.

I saw a turtle crossing rt. 113 in North Sandwich. There were signs warning about turtle crossings ... wonder why they wanted to leave the wetlands on one side to go bushwhack up a hill on the other? Gotta be a hiker riddle in there.

Challenge accepted and riddle solved. (Well, I knew this already.)

Life in the slow lane