The Catskill 67: A Hiker’s Guide to the Catskill 100 Highest Peaks under 3500’

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
CATSKILL%25252067%252520-%252520Covers%252520-%252520final%2525201-4-12.jpeg

For those forum members who hike in the Catskills, or for those who have been thinking about doing so, there is a new guidebook in town. Forum member Alan Via’s book, The Catskill 67: A Hiker’s Guide to the Catskill 100 Highest Peaks under 3500’, has finally been published. Alan asked me if I would write a review for the forum and I agreed. Let me be upfront: Alan and I are friends and frequent hiking companions, so a certain bias may be inevitable.

My first thought in writing this was to ask myself what I would like to see in a guidebook. At a minimum, I believe the author should have a strong first-hand knowledge of the subject, and the book should be clearly written and accurately researched. Is the book easy to navigate? Is there an easily searchable index? Ideally there will be a map and some photos and descriptions of the area. I believe this book passes muster on all counts, and then some.

Much goes on “behind the scenes” before a book goes into print. Alan goes to great lengths to credit the many people who assisted and influenced him. In the section titled “Why This Book?” he points out that the book builds on the 3500’ peaks by offering a new set of mountains and geographical areas to hike which go unseen by many. Standard information one might expect to find is offered (GPS, mileage, elevation, trail and peak descriptions, etc.). Alan also writes about the flora and fauna, view spots, photo ops, some history, and possible activities in the area other than hiking such as canoeing, fishing, biking, and camping. However, many of “the 67” are either in part or entirely on private land. In the section titled “Respect for the Mountains, Their Stewards, and Private Property” Alan tackles this sensitive topic head-on, encouraging the hiker to “do your homework” by seeking permission before walking on someone else’s land, respecting the land when walked on, and avoiding such practices as route marking. It should be noted that summits, trails and paths are not indicated for any peak that is on private land. All of these issues are broached throughout the book when necessary, not merely in an introductory chapter.

The Catskill 100 Peak List includes a numerical ranking both within the list of all 102 peaks and the 67 by themselves, with elevation. It is coded to indicate whether the peak has rough roads, ski areas, whether the peak is trailed, has an un-maintained trail, or if it is a bushwhack. In the Section titled “Before You Begin” Alan offers tips on GPS coordinates, hunting season hiking, and bushwhacking.

The principal body of the book divides the hikes into nine geographical regions. A map precedes each section. These full-page topo maps are in color and indicate whether peaks are over or under 3500 feet. The map is laid out with 100-foot contour lines, and includes cities/towns, road/trail/water body names, state/county/local/DEC Maintained roads, trail colors, scenic trails, county lines, trail access parking areas when appropriate, scenic views, cemeteries, fire towers, and whether the area is open to fishing, biking, paddling, swimming, cross-country skiing, camping, or picnicking. There is also a “Mapfinder” in the back pocket of the book. Descriptions for each peak include a “schematic” map showing the relationship of each region to the greater Catskill Park.

The book offers a concise but thorough overview of each geographical area, as well as highlights and a summary of each of the peaks. Each peaks is also given a score of 1 through 5 for view, interest, hiking difficulty, and difficulty of bushwhack. Admittedly these ratings are subjective, but they are a good relative comparison of the peaks.

Throughout the book Alan’s writing style is clear, concise, and down-to-earth. Far from being a mere objective presentation of facts, one gets the feeling that an experienced guide is talking to you. Those who have hiked with Alan know of his wry sense of humor, which shines through his writing and personalizes it nicely. Many photos are sprinkled throughout the book and are all in color. These photos were taken by several of Alan’s hiking companions.

There are three appendices to the book. In the first, titled “Bushwhacking Basics,” Alan is careful to point out that this is not a “how-to” book. Nevertheless, helpful important tips are offered. The second appendix, “A Subjective Look at the Peaks,” offers a short list of the “most, least, best, and scrappiest” peaks. The third appendix is titled “Tandem Peaks” and suggests possible “two-fers” and even a couple of “three-fers” for hikers.

A “Glossary” of terms is included. Many of these entries are not mere one-sentence definitions, but offer valuable paragraphs of information. The “References and “Suggested Reading” section includes books, maps, and websites, all of which are annotated. Finally, and perhaps most important, there is a thorough index in which many terms, persons, and peaks may be easily referenced throughout the book.

In summary, The Catskill 67: A Hiker’s Guide to the Catskill 100 Highest Peaks under 3500’ is a welcomed addition to the array of guidebooks available today and deserves a place on the bookshelf of anyone who is interested in exploring the Catskills.

I am SO excited about this book. We've been hiking some of these mountains........Plattekill with the old quarries and following an old road on Sleeping Lion, following Condon Hollow Road with it's amazingly beautiful stone walls and finding parts of an old car at the top of the ridge and wondering where the rest of it went, finding the hidden lean-to in Turk Hollow and wondering who the Turk was and then back over to S.Vly, amazing cinnamon fern meadow full of butterflies this summer on Millbrook Ridge....spent the night in the lean-to at Beaver Meadow, fishing in Alder Lake surrounded by purple iris, Huckleberry loop trail past Dry Brook Ridge with the trail covered in trout lilies and spring beauties. I sit here sometimes and read the VO map like a book and ponder things like Barkaboom Mountain and Elk Bushkill.

Let me know if you would like some company on any of your forays. Would love to see some of the things you've found... I might be able to show you a couple of places....John Burroughs wrote about the Millbrook ferns.

Obviously, I need to read more John Burroughs. Thank you for that information. That fern meadow is a seriously beautiful place. We were there in the spring and it was full of butterflies, swallowtails, I think, the black and yellow ones.

For anyone who might be going to the ADKhighpeaks gathering and traveling the Northway in the Lake George area, the book is available at the ADK Headquarters in Lake George, just off the Lake Luzerne exit.

Dick

Ah yes, what a great guidebook! Alan's knowledge of the Catskills and sense of humor are totally evident and spread throughout this enjoyable read. He points us in the direction of so many beautiful and quiet corners that even we Catskill veterans find unfamiliar. The book is beautiful and well organized with maps and color photos. This along with Alan's detailed and accurate descriptions, really tug at you to get out there! Hope there will be some at the 3500 club dinner!

You made the Schenectady Daily Gazette top books of 2012!

Excerpt:

The Catskill 67: A Hiker's Guide to the Catskill 100 Higest Peaks under 3500 by Alan Via (Rowen) -- Via introduces readers to lightly visited Catskill peaks just a day trip away. His extensive experience hiking the region, strong writing and vivid artwork make it easy for hikers at any skill levels to choose a memorable expedition.

full article (requires username/password)

Congratulations,
Tim