Colorado's Rocky Mt NP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

Reaction score
Planning a summer trip to Colorado (staying in Grand Lake)...I am astounded at the hiking opportunities in the area.

So, what are the very best hikes? Peakbagging is optional.

One that looks good is a 3-fer: Chapin, Chiquita, and Ypsilon in the Mummy Range, trailhead on the Old Fall River Road.
We have to do one hike in the Never Summer Mountains too. What a beautiful name!
If you are familiar with Granby and Grand Lake, I'd love to hear about restaurants and other attractions as well.

Thanks!

That's another area of Colorado I haven't been too, but since reading "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains" by Isabella Bird. I've yearned to go to Estes Park which is not far from there. The wildflowers at Estes are supposed to be magnificent. Written in the 1850s, from journals and letters home to England, the author of this book finally persuaded Mountain Jim to help her summit Longs Peak. Here's a link to an edition of that book which, I believe, shows a photo of the Grand Tetons on the cover, if I'm not mistaken. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1V5RN5TN4VSCK5K19Y7B#_

I'd recommend Boulder as a stopping point if you have that option. We hiked to Bear Peak near the Flat Irons on a trail that went up from the National Center for Atmospheric Research, which is also an interesting place to visit. The trails we used formed a loop that brought us into a canyon, had a view of the hills to the west of Boulder, and the summit was a sharp point with 360 degree views.

Attachments

• Ellen Heading Down Bear Peak in Boulder.jpg
    Ellen Heading Down Bear Peak in Boulder.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Hiking from Brainerd Lake Recreation Area in to Lake Isabella is relatively easy and absolutely gorgeous. The hike is up the valley of Isabella Glacier, the lake surrounded by the giant ridges of Shoshoni Peak, Arapahoe Peak, and Navajo Peak. Turn off the Peak-to-Peak Highway in Ward. Get a beer at the brew pub in Nederland afterward.

Of course, it's the wrong side of the range from where you're staying, but if you find yourself on the east side, these are "musts" in my opinion.

Hiking from Brainerd Lake Recreation Area in to Lake Isabella is relatively easy and absolutely gorgeous. The hike is up the valley of Isabella Glacier, the lake surrounded by the giant ridges of Shoshoni Peak, Arapahoe Peak, and Navajo Peak. Turn off the Peak-to-Peak Highway in Ward. Get a beer at the brew pub in Nederland afterward.

Isabella Glacier is named after the explorer/writer Isabella Bird, I'm guessing. And the pub in Nederland gets my vote, too. Isn't that where they have Frozen Dead Guy Day (or something like that) in the winter?

Audrey - I have a few favorites as I used to attend conferences with my wife near Estes Park. For examples, I like Hallets and Flattop from Bear Lake within the park itself. You can do one or both, and once you reach the ridge you get good views of the Never Summer Range. I also like Lady Washington, which is the 13er in front of the diamond on Longs Peak. I "discovered" this peak as the conferences were held in October and the route to Longs became a Class III/IV. You skirt Lady Washington on the way to the Boulder Field as part of the route to Longs. Another great destination is Chasm Lake if you're feeling like a less intense hike - it's on this same overall route. And, of course you can do Longs if you're feeling sporty.

'Tis a beautiful area of the country, especially in fall. The range of colors rival the NorthEast. I've often driven to RMNP, and taken I80 thru Nebraska into Laramie, Wyoming and then turned south towards Colorado traveling thru Medicine Bow NF. Exceptionally beautiful drive from Laramie. Lots of pronghorn south of Medicine Bow.

And the pub in Nederland gets my vote, too. Isn't that where they have Frozen Dead Guy Day (or something like that) in the winter?

Yes it is, and it was just this past weekend! Frozen salmon toss and the coffin races, woot! Rocky Mountain Oyster eating competition, anyone?

Nice discussion; I am hoping to move out that way later this year and can't wait to tackle some Rocky mtn magic! :) Was out in RMNP a number of years ago, but didn't do any hiking, can't wait to rectify that.

One that looks good is a 3-fer: Chapin, Chiquita, and Ypsilon in the Mummy Range, trailhead on the Old Fall River Road.
Note that FRR is oneway uphill, and the trail doesn't/didn't go to the peaks - scrambling involved
We have to do one hike in the Never Summer Mountains too. What a beautiful name!
Never got there in a dozen visits - the summits are either far away or semi-technical

My favorite easy trail to low peak with substantial elevation for conditioning is Twin Sisters

Funniest thing that happened to me there was on a rainy day with thunderstorms we bushwhacked to Joe Mills and Wuh which are rocky summits below treeline and actually met other hikers! When I said I didn't think anybody from Colo actually bushwhacked to below-treeline peaks, they said they were visiting from Michigan.

We also bushwhacked the length of Forest Canyon, and a ranger told our shuttle driver not to expect us out for a couple more days

We like the Estes Park area of the park but that's where I've been mostly. Hallet and Flattop are great hikes with many others from that side of the park. If you can wait until September the Elk are in rut. All over the place and real close! Check some pics from our trip this past year. Great place, can't wait to go back. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/581111973wbcUpf?vhost=outdoors

If you can wait until September the Elk are in rut. All over the place and real close! Check some pics from our trip this past year. Great place, can't wait to go back.
I've been there in the spring and the Elk are all over the place then too... Driving at night can be very dangerous--the Elk crowd in the grass along the roads and in the intersection islands. There are a number of gathering places--the flats along the Kawuneeche Valley (near the west entrance) and Moraine Park are two such spots.

I've been on all of the paved roads as well as the Old Fall River Road (one way up only). Both sides of the park are worth visiting. (All of the roads including OFRR are worth driving too. There are lots of viewpoints and short hikes/walks off them.)

FWIW 1, staying on the East side will put you closer to more of the park than staying on the West side.
FWIW 2, Estes Park is crowded and traffic is congested--I stayed S of town on Rte 7.

A couple of hikes:
Altitude may slow you down. (I didn't have much time to acclimatize...)
1. Deer Mountain, 2.8 mi to 10K ft
2.. Long's Peak (altitude stopped me at Granite Pass, 12K ft) (It was too early in the season to attempt the summit anyhow.)
3. There is a nice little walk from the Alpine Visitor Center on Trail Ridge Road up to 12K. Good for testing or working on your acclimatization. The views aren't bad either...

Doug

All very true Doug. We stayed just outside (a mile maybe) the Fall River entrance west of Estes Park to avoid traffic. I didn't find the traffic in town much of a problem at all as I was warned about for September. Great place!

Thanks, everyone.

I think it won't be so crowded on the western side and I did see that the Fall River Road is one way, so to access the Chapin Trailhead we'd have to walk down the road from the visitor center which doesn't seem to be prohibited, but I'll call first.

Baker Gulch looks like a great hike in the Never Summers, with lake and peak options depending on stamina and imminent storminess. We'll also be close to the Indian Peaks Wilderness (Roaring Fork Tr looks good with off-trail possibilities), and we may also spend an easy day exploring the Arapaho National Wildlife Refuge, about 1.5 hours away.

3. There is a nice little walk from the Alpine Visitor Center on Trail Ridge Road up to 12K. Good for testing or working on your acclimatization. The views aren't bad either...
Yeah, there's a trail to a little bump in the back yard with a sign on top that says "This Point is Higher Than Mt Hood"

Of course they could have put the sign at the parking lot :)

I think it won't be so crowded on the western side
Yes it will be quiet and traffic should not be a problem. However it is a long way from most of the park and driving back in the dark could be "interesting". Your choice.

Make sure Trail Ridge Road is open if you wish to visit the East side--it is a long way around.

FWIW, I have driven in (from Denver) and exited that way. (Had dinner in Grand Lake, but didn't stay there.)

I did see that the Fall River Road is one way,
It used to be the road over the pass. It isn't paved, but was doable in 2WD when I was there. It is worth driving...

Doug

Flattop is a must

A few others have mentioned this hike too--I wanted to chime in. It's a great day hike up to 12,000 feet and really magnificent once you reach the top. I went in early July last year--be prepared for some snow on the trail and then a glacier crossing too. We didn't use any special equipment/traction, but you do need warm clothing. If you have an extra day to acclimatize in the area, that helps, but even without that, that hike is relatively short length-wise, and can still be doable for flatlanders. (I was surprised--I thought I'd feel the altitude more than I did.)

Also, keep in mind that summer hiking in the Rockies means big thunderstorms in the afternoon. there will be signs to this effect all over the place, but you should aim to be off the high summits by mid-afternoon or earlier. And bring rain gear for rainbursts.