Winter nh 48 canine finishers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the great pictures, I've reposted them here.

Marley on Jackson

MarleyonJacksonbis_zps02118e6c.jpg

Marley on Agony Ridge

MarleyonJackson_zpsa8796c1a.jpg

Marley doing some trail work

Marleyrockybranch030_zpsbd8abdfa.jpg

Marley supervising the shoveling of the driveway

Marleyonagonyridge_zps07f64fea.jpg

On two occasions while breaking trail going slowly up a steep trail even with a coat Lauky started shivering. Both times we just turned around and headed down. Moving faster down hill warmed him up and guess what. The trail was still there when we went back the next time and made it up. Also, with a dog like Lauky, the tale is in the tail. He always carries his tail straight up. If I notice that the tail is down even at half mast I can tell that he's not comfortable. And if he starts to slow down, I can tell he's getting cold. While Duffy never got cold, he did have problems in the heat and I had to be very careful in the hot heat of summer. He did get over heated once on Madison. We rested for a long time that day until he cooled down.

In the end, I would neither encourage nor discourage anyone from attempting this with their dog. I would ask that your dog’s comfort and safety be first and foremost in your mind when hiking in any season, but especially in winter. We turned back on hikes where snow was clumping on her fur more than once, and on other hikes where wind, weather or sheer frigid temps made conditions dangerous. I would hope that all would consider the risk of winter hiking fully before pushing on in tough conditions merely to bag a peak which will still be there when the weather is nicer.

The AMC 4k Club decided not to list winter dogs because of potential abuse by owners but it seems that owners instead are extra careful - I know I have done plenty of winter hikes that I wouldn't subject a dog to :)

Maybe a new HikeSafe rule should be added: Bring a dog, it will make you behave more carefully :)

The AMC 4k Club continues to list winter finishes by people under 18 which could be disallowed by the same logic, that is in line with society in general where animal welfare organizations thrived long before concern about cruelty to children and spouses

One of the things I've learned from correspondence with some very serious winter hikers is that those who are the most into winter hiking are the most careful with their dogs. They understand the risks and don't take them with their dogs. I think the biggest risk to a dog comes from the casual hiker who goes out often unprepared and puts both himself and his dog in danger. This is true in the summer as well. :(

Yup, I'll bet a lot more dogs have died hiking in NH from heat problems than cold, often out-of-shape pets on easy peaks - and this may be true for people too

The AMC 4k Club continues to list winter finishes by people under 18 which could be disallowed by the same logic, that is in line with society in general where animal welfare organizations thrived long before concern about cruelty to children and spouses

Where? The following pages summarize and detail finishers but not by age.

http://www.amc4000footer.org/faq.htm#finish
Q. How many people have finished the lists?

A. As of April 14, 2012, 10,098 people (and 138 dogs) have reported finishing the White Mountain 4000-footers, but only 550 have done them all in winter. 2,557 people have reported completion of the New England 4000-footers (148 in winter) and for the 100-Highest, the numbers are 761 and 94 respectively. A detailed tabulation of finshers by year is available online.

http://www.amc4000footer.org/finishers.htm

Tim

Smallest canine finisher

I met Bob, Geri and Dusty on the trail Saturday. We got to talking about the smallest canine finisher. I just checked with John Sobetzer about Pepper and he's 30 lbs. Lauky is 24 lbs. Therefore to date, we figure the smallest finisher right now is Atticus who was probably about 20 lbs when in full trail condition.

Dusty weighs 18 lbs. right now and when he finishes next year he could well be the smallest. There is one factor John and I were discussing. Pepper put on close to 8 lbs of mostly muscle over the years of hiking and Lauky at one year was 20 lbs. At two years he was 22 lbs and at 4 years he was 24 lbs. The vet told me that normally he wouldn't like that kind of weight gain but he could see that it was all muscle and he had no problem with it.

All that being said, watch out Bob, if Dusty starts putting on those weight lifter quads he may get bigger than Atticus. :)

As for all season finishers I'm wondering if Emma might be the smallest finisher. I met a fellow on South Twin this fall with a Min Pin. He was saying that he thought when his dog finished she might be the smallest finisher ever.

As for the largest finisher I doubt there will ever be one bigger than Brutus, the undisputed heavy weight champion. :D

If Thor and I get Monroe through Adams this weekend he will have finished the all-season and will have just ten winter peaks left for next year. We lay low in July because the heat is tough on both of us. i also have been waiting for snow on the Northern Presis because he is not into booties and its the only time I will take him to that rock haven!

Israel Buddha Cano ("Izzy")

Here's a photo of the magnificent IZZY and his owner Tim Muskat

TimandIzzy_zpsc7ddec28.jpg

Izzy completed his first winter round on March 16, 2011. He completed eight full rounds of the WM 4,000-footers -- four of them in consecutive seasons -- and 393 overall.

Wow, that's very impressive.:)

Last edited:
Good thing that Dusty started when he was 15 pounds! Don't need to give Geri any ideas on putting him on a diet :eek:

FYI - Toby who hikes with Larissa (Lriz) finished his Winter 48 last Sunday!

Good thing that Dusty started when he was 15 pounds! Don't need to give Geri any ideas on putting him on a diet :eek:

FYI - Toby who hikes with Larissa (Lriz) finished his Winter 48 last Sunday!

Actually Larissa has Toby posted back on page 4.:) Congratulations again to Toby. No doubt he'll be bagging MANY more peaks before he's done.

Updated list

This is our list as it stands so far. If you know of any other canines who finished their winter round please let me know or just post it here.

Brutus Jan. 18, 2004
Feb. 22(?), 2007
Marley March 16, 2009
Pepper Jan. 29, 2011
Romeo March 15, 2011
Izzy-Israel March 16, 2011
Lauky February 16, 2012
Cinilla March 7, 2012
Quinn March 10, 2012
Kali Feb. 16, 2013
Tobi March 10, 2013

I did receive an E-mail letting me know that in two or three weeks there will be a blockbuster announcement concerning one of our finishers.
It will be probably the most significant canine accomplishment to this point here in the North East. :eek:

Last edited:
I saw the dogs outside as I was walking into the school. I love seeing dogs on the trail who just love the journey...not knowing that their owner is keeping track of their destination. It's great that these "kids" are also being recognized by the AMC 4,000 Committee.

Just giving this thread a bump up to remind the dog people that we want to know of any canine finishers of the W48. I know that Dusty and Thor were very close to finishing and there no doubt are others also.
Here's the list as we have it of the finishers to date:
Brutus Jan. 18, 2004
Feb. 22(?), 2007
Marley March 16, 2009
Pepper Jan. 29, 2011
Romeo March 15, 2011
Izzy-Israel March 16, 2011
Lauky February 16, 2012
Cinilla March 7, 2012
Quinn March 10, 2012
Kali Feb. 16, 2013
Tobi March 10, 2013

If your dog finishes please post it here or shoot me a note and I'll post it. Pictures are welcome.
[email protected]

Last edited:
Dusty has 3 hikes left to finish his Winter list - just need some good weather!

Pemi, who lives with Mike and Lori Innes finished on March 15, 2013 in a single season should be added. Pemi is working on a second single winter season again this year.

pemiinnes2012-2013.jpg