Winter nh 48 canine finishers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread needs photos.... ;-)

Great idea. I remember when Brutus died that Kevin posted some magnificent photos of his winter escapades. Hopefully he'll put them in again here.

I quickly picked out a few of Lauky.

The first was of us on Jefferson when I finished my winter 48.

007-2.jpg

This was of Lauky when he finished his winter 48

015-4.jpg

This one was actually taken this winter in Starr King

IMG_4105.jpg

A couple of years ago checking out Franconia Ridge up on Cannon. We were just up there this past Friday, the snow is nowhere that deep right now.

006-6.jpg

John...if you want to send me any pictures of Pepper I'd be glad to post them for you.

Great idea. I remember when Brutus died that Kevin posted some magnificent photos of his winter escapades. Hopefully he'll put them in again here.

Thanks for mentioning Brutus, Ed. The pictures you referenced can be found here.

Off hand, I can name 6 people who I know have done the SSW48 but are not listed on the web site... many are by choice so I won't enumerate them here.
Ed's grid website puts in anonymous placeholders for those who have finished but don't want their name listed, I'm not sure why this site doesn't also as that would make it more of an information resource

I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want their dog's name listed but if there are any "anonymous" dogs out there that have done the 48 in the winter I'd be more than happy to list them anonymously here. I'd like to make the list as accurate as possible.

Back in April 2007 Tom and Atticus attended the awards ceremony. Here is a picture I took of them then. I love it. I think you can see the pride and love in Tom's face as the two pose there together. Atticus is so cute. Also, I might mention that there is hardly a hike goes by but Lauky and I are asked if we are Tom and Atticus.

Last edited:
Oooh, I remember some of those Brutus pics. Love his massive eclipse-like form. Newfs rock!

Great Tom and Atticus pics too. I still haven't read his book but look forward to doing so; my 87 year old grandfather just read ad LOVED it. He is almost deaf so it was cool to be able to give him a book that not only captured his heart/attention, but kind of explained the whole hiking thing to him. Communication has been increasingly difficult but now he always asks me if I've been on any good hikes lately and it gives us something concrete to talk about. :)

Last edited:
I mentioned that we're often asked if we're Tom and Atticus. But I've also been asked if we're John and Pepper. John Sobetzer just sent me this picture of Pepper. I think you can see why the question is asked.

PICT00972_zps34bc271a.jpg

We're hoping to have some pictures of Cinnillia posted soon.

Last edited:
This is a great thread and a showcase for some amazing dog's. I at last have a hiking dog, Buddy the Australian shepard. We are along way from any list as this is a our first season and we are taking it slow and learning as we go. We will have the 4'ks done sometime this summer, maybe next year the winter 4'ks. As as long time soloist, the pleasure of watching my dog on trail before me is priceless. I paused him before a steep icy section last week and wondered if he was ready, while I pondered, he bolted up and was done so effortlessly I was in awe. We hope to see you all out there in our coming hikes. I did notice some dog's wear jackets, how can you tell if they need it? so far my dog doesnt seem to get cold, but I do think about it.

I didn't put a jacket on Kali until the year and the reason I did is her hair is longer and heavy wet snow/rain parts it and exposes her "scalp?". That cannot be good. It also keeps the smelly dog smell at bay as she stays drier over most of her body.
I am pretty sure she likes sporting that darn coat too!
Heather & Kali

As far as we know right now, Kali is the latest finisher. She finished on Feb. 16, 2013. Here's the list as it stands now:
Brutus Jan. 18, 2004
Feb. 22(?), 2007
Marley March 16, 2009
Pepper Jan. 29, 2011
Romeo March 15, 2011
Lauky February 16, 2012
Cinilla March 7, 2012
Quinn March 10, 2012
Izzi-Israel March 12, 2012
Kali Feb. 16, 2013

Last edited:
This is a great thread and a showcase for some amazing dog's. I at last have a hiking dog, Buddy the Australian shepard. We are along way from any list as this is a our first season and we are taking it slow and learning as we go. We will have the 4'ks done sometime this summer, maybe next year the winter 4'ks. As as long time soloist, the pleasure of watching my dog on trail before me is priceless. I paused him before a steep icy section last week and wondered if he was ready, while I pondered, he bolted up and was done so effortlessly I was in awe. We hope to see you all out there in our coming hikes. I did notice some dog's wear jackets, how can you tell if they need it? so far my dog doesnt seem to get cold, but I do think about it.

It never even occurred to me to put a coat on my Airedale Duffy. I never saw him get cold. Lauky has the same double coat as Duffy, but with 1/3 the body mass he does get cold. One rather obvious rule of thumb is that if you see your dog shivering he's cold and needs a coat. That was the case with Lauky. On two occasions while breaking trail going slowly up a steep trail even with a coat Lauky started shivering. Both times we just turned around and headed down. Moving faster down hill warmed him up and guess what. The trail was still there when we went back the next time and made it up. Also, with a dog like Lauky, the tale is in the tail. He always carries his tail straight up. If I notice that the tail is down even at half mast I can tell that he's not comfortable. And if he starts to slow down, I can tell he's getting cold. While Duffy never got cold, he did have problems in the heat and I had to be very careful in the hot heat of summer. He did get over heated once on Madison. We rested for a long time that day until he cooled down.

That would require the six people report that they completed and wish to remain anonymous. If they do neither, not much anyone can do to record that fact...

Not exactly

If someone truly wants to keep it a secret and doesn't even tell their friends, that's one thing - but there are many well-known finishers who just may not want their name on somebody else's website

There is a best-selling book about Tom & Atticus that I'll bet people affiliated with the site know about

If a blind guy finishes, apparently his dog does too

I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want their dog's name listed but if there are any "anonymous" dogs out there that have done the 48 in the winter I'd be more than happy to list them anonymously here. I'd like to make the list as accurate as possible.
Apparently the above at one time didn't want to be listed on the website for reasons I'm not aware of