Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter nh 48 canine finishers

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    I just received word that Bob & Geri's Dusty who just started hiking this November did 33 peaks this winter so he seems like another sure finisher for next year.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

I've continued to receive a number of communications and we now have a pretty good list of the winter canine finishers. If anyone has any info to add please contact me by PM or E-mail or post it here. Here is the list:

Brutus Jan. 18, 2004
    Feb. 22(?), 2007
    Marley March 16, 2009
    Pepper Jan. 29, 2011
    Romeo March 15, 2011 Romeo, who passed away in January of this year was the dog of Mike Innes whom many of you know. Romeo also
    did the AT trail and the Long trail.
    Lauky February 16, 2012
    Cinilla March 7, 2012
    Quinn March 10, 2012
    Izzi-Israel March 12, 2012
    Kali Feb. 16, 2013

One observation I would like to make is how impressed I've been with the savvy winter hikers have concerning winter hiking and the extreme care they have taken of their dogs when they have taken them out winter hiking with them. There are two or three dogs that may finish in the next year or two that haven't finished yet simply because their owners are being very careful. For those that have finished their owners have mentioned how careful they were. A good example has been set, I believe, for any others who plan to take their dogs out in the winter.

Ednlauky@gmail.com
    Last edited by Ed'n Lauky; 03-23-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Ed - Minor correction. Brutus first winter round was completed on Jan 18, 2004. The following year he did them again, finishing on March 6th.

Thanks Kevin, I'll make the correction.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

I've noticed that there are a number of Canines out hiking this winter so I thought I'd give this a bump up. The list as we have it so far of Canine finishers is as follows: Brutus, Atticus, Marley, Romeo, Pepper, Lauky, Izzy-Israel, Quinn, Cinnilla.

If any more dogs finish the winter 48 this year please let me know or just post it in this thread. Or, if you happen to know of any other canine winter 48 finishers please let me know.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ed'n Lauky; 02-28-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Update on Marley

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Senior Member The Unstrung Harp's Avatar
    This thread needs photos.... ;-)
    0/1 NH48-THRU

Trek For Peace

Quote Originally Posted by The Unstrung Harp View Post
    This thread needs photos.... ;-)
    Great idea. I remember when Brutus died that Kevin posted some magnificent photos of his winter escapades. Hopefully he'll put them in again here.

I quickly picked out a few of Lauky.

The first was of us on Jefferson when I finished my winter 48.

This was of Lauky when he finished his winter 48

This one was actually taken this winter in Starr King

A couple of years ago checking out Franconia Ridge up on Cannon. We were just up there this past Friday, the snow is nowhere that deep right now.

John...if you want to send me any pictures of Pepper I'd be glad to post them for you.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Love the snow-encrusted look on Lauky. And the pic of you both is just awesome! Thanks for posting pics, looking forward to more.
    0/1 NH48-THRU

Trek For Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    Great idea. I remember when Brutus died that Kevin posted some magnificent photos of his winter escapades. Hopefully he'll put them in again here.
    Thanks for mentioning Brutus, Ed. The pictures you referenced can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Off hand, I can name 6 people who I know have done the SSW48 but are not listed on the web site... many are by choice so I won't enumerate them here.
    Ed's grid website puts in anonymous placeholders for those who have finished but don't want their name listed, I'm not sure why this site doesn't also as that would make it more of an information resource

That would require the six people report that they completed and wish to remain anonymous. If they do neither, not much anyone can do to record that fact...

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want their dog's name listed but if there are any "anonymous" dogs out there that have done the 48 in the winter I'd be more than happy to list them anonymously here. I'd like to make the list as accurate as possible.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Back in April 2007 Tom and Atticus attended the awards ceremony. Here is a picture I took of them then. I love it. I think you can see the pride and love in Tom's face as the two pose there together. Atticus is so cute. Also, I might mention that there is hardly a hike goes by but Lauky and I are asked if we are Tom and Atticus.
    Last edited by Ed'n Lauky; 03-23-2015 at 10:30 AM.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Oooh, I remember some of those Brutus pics. Love his massive eclipse-like form. Newfs rock!

Great Tom and Atticus pics too. I still haven't read his book but look forward to doing so; my 87 year old grandfather just read ad LOVED it. He is almost deaf so it was cool to be able to give him a book that not only captured his heart/attention, but kind of explained the whole hiking thing to him. Communication has been increasingly difficult but now he always asks me if I've been on any good hikes lately and it gives us something concrete to talk about.
    Last edited by The Unstrung Harp; 02-27-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    0/1 NH48-THRU

Trek For Peace

I mentioned that we're often asked if we're Tom and Atticus. But I've also been asked if we're John and Pepper. John Sobetzer just sent me this picture of Pepper. I think you can see why the question is asked.

We're hoping to have some pictures of Cinnillia posted soon.
    Last edited by Ed'n Lauky; 02-27-2013 at 10:11 PM.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed