Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter nh 48 canine finishers

Kali has finished her any season winter peaks! Can she be added? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kali last day of winter.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	4399
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Cinilla at the Glencliff Trailhead, February 2012

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    We now have an update on Marley. He finished on 3/16/09. Hope we can get a picture of him posted here sometime.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

OK, we now have some more pictures of Cinnilla. I can't tell you the feeling it gave me to see those pictures. She reminds me so much of my Duffy. The pictures were taken on the top of Madison and North Twin.

I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

This is a great thread and a showcase for some amazing dog's. I at last have a hiking dog, Buddy the Australian shepard. We are along way from any list as this is a our first season and we are taking it slow and learning as we go. We will have the 4'ks done sometime this summer, maybe next year the winter 4'ks. As as long time soloist, the pleasure of watching my dog on trail before me is priceless. I paused him before a steep icy section last week and wondered if he was ready, while I pondered, he bolted up and was done so effortlessly I was in awe. We hope to see you all out there in our coming hikes. I did notice some dog's wear jackets, how can you tell if they need it? so far my dog doesnt seem to get cold, but I do think about it.

I didn't put a jacket on Kali until the year and the reason I did is her hair is longer and heavy wet snow/rain parts it and exposes her "scalp?". That cannot be good. It also keeps the smelly dog smell at bay as she stays drier over most of her body.
    I am pretty sure she likes sporting that darn coat too!
    Heather & Kali

As far as we know right now, Kali is the latest finisher. She finished on Feb. 16, 2013. Here's the list as it stands now:
    Brutus Jan. 18, 2004
    Feb. 22(?), 2007
    Marley March 16, 2009
    Pepper Jan. 29, 2011
    Romeo March 15, 2011
    Lauky February 16, 2012
    Cinilla March 7, 2012
    Quinn March 10, 2012
    Izzi-Israel March 12, 2012
    Kali Feb. 16, 2013
    Last edited by Ed'n Lauky; 03-23-2015 at 09:28 AM.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    This is a great thread and a showcase for some amazing dog's. I at last have a hiking dog, Buddy the Australian shepard. We are along way from any list as this is a our first season and we are taking it slow and learning as we go. We will have the 4'ks done sometime this summer, maybe next year the winter 4'ks. As as long time soloist, the pleasure of watching my dog on trail before me is priceless. I paused him before a steep icy section last week and wondered if he was ready, while I pondered, he bolted up and was done so effortlessly I was in awe. We hope to see you all out there in our coming hikes. I did notice some dog's wear jackets, how can you tell if they need it? so far my dog doesnt seem to get cold, but I do think about it.
    It never even occurred to me to put a coat on my Airedale Duffy. I never saw him get cold. Lauky has the same double coat as Duffy, but with 1/3 the body mass he does get cold. One rather obvious rule of thumb is that if you see your dog shivering he's cold and needs a coat. That was the case with Lauky. On two occasions while breaking trail going slowly up a steep trail even with a coat Lauky started shivering. Both times we just turned around and headed down. Moving faster down hill warmed him up and guess what. The trail was still there when we went back the next time and made it up. Also, with a dog like Lauky, the tale is in the tail. He always carries his tail straight up. If I notice that the tail is down even at half mast I can tell that he's not comfortable. And if he starts to slow down, I can tell he's getting cold. While Duffy never got cold, he did have problems in the heat and I had to be very careful in the hot heat of summer. He did get over heated once on Madison. We rested for a long time that day until he cooled down.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    That would require the six people report that they completed and wish to remain anonymous. If they do neither, not much anyone can do to record that fact...
    Not exactly

If someone truly wants to keep it a secret and doesn't even tell their friends, that's one thing - but there are many well-known finishers who just may not want their name on somebody else's website

There is a best-selling book about Tom & Atticus that I'll bet people affiliated with the site know about

If a blind guy finishes, apparently his dog does too

Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want their dog's name listed but if there are any "anonymous" dogs out there that have done the 48 in the winter I'd be more than happy to list them anonymously here. I'd like to make the list as accurate as possible.
    Apparently the above at one time didn't want to be listed on the website for reasons I'm not aware of

Here's a picture of Kali. As they say: Happy dogs are hiking dogs--Summer and Winter.

Last edited by Ed'n Lauky; 03-01-2013 at 10:20 AM.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Thank you EdnLauky for posting that. She is so pretty. This was the last Sunday of winter 2012 we did Galehead and Garfield together and this was from the lookout just below Galehead. One of my favorite Kali pictures. So proud.

This makes my heart sore to see
    Heather&Kali

Every year on Dr. Seuss's birthday (March 2 but celebrated today because the 2nd is on a Sat.) it's national reading day in the schools. Rotary sends its members into the schools to read to the students. This year Lauky had a special invitation to come to the Steven's Brook school in Bridgton to show off his hiking bandanna and share a few hiking stories. We talked about winter hiking and told the kids about how he had chased off the bear this fall. He also showed off a few tricks and played ball with everyone--he both throws it and catches it. I wish I had a picture of him there in the middle of the floor with a class of 4th graders literally on top of him. He was the center of attention and he absolutely reveled in it. I read a story to a totally silent class about a dog named Vicki. I don't know about the kids but the teacher had tears running down her face when I finished.

It was a great time. Lauky has visited the nursing home a number of times, but this was his first time in a school. I think he's found his vocation.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Here are two more pictures of Kali. The winter photo is on Mooselauke.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Honorable Mention

We're still looking for any more 48 canine finishers. But just as in some other websites I think we should add an honorable mention category of dogs who have done a good deal of winter hikes but for whatever reason haven't completed the circuit. Pictures are much appreciated.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Senior Member Kevin, Judy and Emma's Avatar

Honorable Mention

On Moosilauke

I have been holding off on replying to this thread, hoping against hope that Emma would somehow be able to finish her W48, but it seems it is just not in the cards. When Judy and I first started hiking the 48 in winter we were not serious ourselves about finishing. As the years wore on we successfully reached more and more peaks. There were some that took more than one attempt because of weather, trail-breaking and whatever... some where I wished I HAD turned back as I really wasn't having much fun... Last winter season I set an ultimatum, it's now or never... maybe foolish, as ultimatums quite often can be... On January 7th we hiked Mount Monroe with Emma and her friend, Blue. Things went well, despite clouds swallowing us and really poor visibility descending from the summit. That put Emma's total at 38.

On Isolation

On my birthday last year we stayed in Franconia Notch and drove early to the parking area on 302 across from Zealand Rd. In the cold, dark and falling snow I met up with the fine group of hikers I was to spend the day with traversing Zealand and the Bonds. Emma took a look around and jumped back in the car with Judy. I had not wanted to bring Emma on this journey, I felt it was just asking too much. After all, she was 12.5 yo, and really had nothing to prove to anybody. I was relieved to know that she would be safe with Judy while I forced myself across 23 miles and 5 summits, (Guyot is in there, too!) On Bondcliff my fellow hikers sang "Happy Birthday" to me, I was thankful I had not hiked my little dog all this way, and, we were only about 1/2 way done with the hike!

On Waumbek

Several weeks went by and we didn't hike. Winter was slipping away and I was getting anxious to finish. Things fell into place on a perfect Presi day. Against all hope Emma and Judy were able to join me, and along with a couple of much stronger hikers, we managed to hike Washington in what I would consider perfect winter conditions. Emma was greeted at the summit like a celebrity by a friend or two of mine who work at State Park. Despite working through some sort of illness I felt good enough to go on to Jefferson after resting at the summit, and the weather gods smiled down on us. Emma did an excellent job on this hike, and seemed much younger than her age would belie.

Also on Waumbek

The following weekend brought around more great weather and the plan was laid to hike Mounts Adams and Madison for my finish. Things started well, but somewhere along the low portion of the Airline Trail something happened, and Emma pulled up lame. Fortunately, there were good friends along on the hike who helped Judy get her down off the mountain, and other friends along so I could continue. I was certainly torn, the little one I had sworn to protect on every hike was injured and needed to turn around. I was ready to forego the summits and my finish to tend to her. I faced the insistance that I should continue from my wife Judy and two good friends who would descend and help her get Emma off the mountain while I continued on with two other members. I did finish my W48 that day, but it was bittersweet.

On Tecumseh

At the vet's the next day it was discovered that she had torn the cranial cruciate ligament in her right rear leg. We were crushed. A million things went through our heads, not least of which was that we had maybe pushed our little dog too far, and she had suffered for our misjudgment. The vet felt that it was an older injury that had just given out over time. Even if true, it did little to relieve our sorrow at her pain and suffering. Of course we sought the best of care and insisted on the most successful surgical method..

On Monroe

Her knee repaired, we began weeks and months of rehab with her, doing gentle excercise and massage while gradually building up her hiking muscles.Months later she was on the trails again, level at first, then gradually increasing the miles and elevation. Her first real hike after surgery was up Mounts Battie and Megunticook in Camden, Maine, where she had made her first “real” hike up a “mountain” as a puppy12 years before.

Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

Over the past year she is getting back to her hiking self and has hiked more than 20 summits with 5 of them over 4k. Being an older dog we are much more attune to her comfort and well being while on the trail, and limit what she does in a day. Besides her bad knee she has some other old trail dog injuries, so we let her have plenty of rest between hikes. It seems now in her old age that she will never have completed her W48, being sidelined at 40, but not a bad run for the old girl. So, what was never a goal for us only became a reality for me through luck and perserverance. If I had had my druthers, in the end I would have finished with both my wife and my dog, but it wasn’t to be.

Washington

For now, we are retired to the smaller hills which we love as much as the higher peaks, where we can still share the trail with our most faithful companion. She has made hundreds of hikes in the sub 4ks, and will continue to do so for as long as she continues to tell us she is ready to go, and every now and then if she wants to, she can lead us up to the high country where she has officially completed 3 rounds, and would have several more rounds if we made a few trips in a row to Owls Head and the Bonds...

Jefferson

Her favorite hikes over the years have included at least 10 trips to the summit of Moosilauke, and at least 16 trips to the summit of Washington, including 2 ill advised trips up Huntington Ravine, really no place for dogs... It may very well be that the final chapter to her story is that I carry a bit of her ashes to the summit of the winter peaks she misses, there to let them drift on the wind across the mountains she loves, but until that time I will hold onto the winter peaks we did hike together, happy that we shared them, not sad that we didn’t conquer them all...

In Rehab at Home

In the end, I would neither encourage nor discourage anyone from attempting this with their dog. I would ask that your dog’s comfort and safety be first and foremost in your mind when hiking in any season, but especially in winter. We turned back on hikes where snow was clumping on her fur more than once, and on other hikes where wind, weather or sheer frigid temps made conditions dangerous. I would hope that all would consider the risk of winter hiking fully before pushing on in tough conditions merely to bag a peak which will still be there when the weather is nicer. Good luck, and take the time to enjoy your winter hikes the way your dog does, they know it’s more than just peakbagging, a number, or a patch!

For more stories and photos of Emma visit: Ghostflowers.smugmug.com

Kevin, Judy and Emma
    "Use what talents you possess- the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those who sang best."

Henry Jackson Van Dyke