Winter nh 48 canine finishers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that info, :) here's the updated list:

Brutus Jan. 18, 2004
Feb. 22(?), 2007
Marley March 16, 2009
Pepper Jan. 29, 2011
Romeo March 15, 2011
Izzy-Israel March 16, 2011
Lauky February 16, 2012
Cinilla March 7, 2012
Quinn March 10, 2012
Kali Feb. 16, 2013
Tobi March 10, 2013
Pemi March 15, 2013

Last edited:
I received a very interesting E-mail today. It's especially interesting because it concerns a winter finisher from 2007 that we didn't have listed. In fact the date given comes just three days after the finish given for Atticus. The fact of the matter is I don't know for sure when Atticus finished. In an exchange of E-mails with Tom he said he didn't know for sure when it was. He didn't keep those kinds of records which he said is why he didn't post on the 48 in one winter website. The date I gave comes from reading and rereading Tom's book. It was the closest I could come to a date. Up to this point it didn't matter too much but now out of curiosity and in the interest of accuracy if anyone was with Tom and Atticus when they finished or has any idea when they finished please let me know. Thanks. Below you will find the E-mail and the picture of Denali.

Hello Ed,
I'm not quite sure if we have crossed paths in the mountains before. My wife Jen, I, and our now 11 year old black lab "Denali" spend every opportunity we have in the Whites. Back in 2003-2007 we would occasionally post on the VFTT site. Although we never became members, to this day we follow the site and enjoy the information. The canine winter finisher thread caught my eye.
We would like for you to add Denali finishing her Winter 48 on February 25, 2007. At the time we were inspired by Brutus who we had read about. When Denali finished on Mt. Lafayette we believed she was the second dog to complete the Winter 48. This was done between the years 2003-2007. Denali was 4 1/2 years old when she completed them.
Like all of you, we have so many stories and memories of these hikes. The ones that stand out are all of the ones we took extra precaution with and we too turned around many times to keep her safe.
Just 2 weeks ago we ran into Pepper and his owner on Mt Moosilaukee and always like seeing so many great people enjoying the mountains with their dog.
I know we are late to posting this info but wanted to share.

Happy New Year

Todd, Jen, & Denali Bausch

Denali on Moosilaukee 2004

Here is the updated list:

Brutus Jan. 18, 2004
Feb. 22(?), 2007
Denali Feb. 25 2007
Marley March 16, 2009
Pepper Jan. 29, 2011
Romeo March 15, 2011
Lauky February 16, 2012
Cinilla March 7, 2012
Quinn March 10, 2012
Kali Feb. 16, 2013
Tobi March 10, 2013
Pemi March 15, 2013

Last edited:
Pepper (Sobetzer) finished his SSW48 yesterday on Washington. Silverfox has photos.

Tim

Congratulations to Pepper. He's one tough little dog. He's also proved what dogs are capable of doing in the winter. On top of it, I know John and I know he would never put Pepper at risk. Thanks John and Pepper for being an example to us all.

While on my last hike here in the Tennessee Mts. I got to thinking about the winter canine finishers. Dusty and Thor must be pretty close to finishing if they haven't already. Please let us know when this happens. If you're a member of VFTT just post it here and we'll pick it up. If you're not a member and your dog has completed the winter 48 you can contact me at: [email protected].

Also, while in the hiking with dogs mode, I just learned that Bill Irwin the blind hiker who hiked the AT in 1990 with his seeing eye dog Orient, just passed away. His dog Orient died back in the 1990s. http://www.salisburypost.com/article/20140303/SP01/140309941/

Hannah finished her winter 48 (and her 5th round!) today on Mt. Adams. Of course she's happy hiking anywhere and doesn't care about lists, but I'm very very proud of my hiking beast!

IMG_0035.jpg

Last edited:
Hannah finished her winter 48 (and her 5th round!) today on Mt. Adams. Of course she's happy hiking anywhere and doesn't care about lists, but I'm very very proud of my hiking beast!

View attachment 4913

Of course you're proud of her, and with good reason. Congratulations to Hannah, we're all proud of her. Thanks for posting and thanks for the picture. I assume she finished today, is that correct?

Here's the updated list of finishers:

Brutus Jan. 18, 2004
Feb. 22(?), 2007
Denali Feb. 25, 2007
Marley March 16, 2009
Pepper Jan. 29, 2011
Romeo March 15, 2011
Lauky February 16, 2012
Cinilla March 7, 2012
Quinn March 10, 2012
Kali Feb. 16, 2013
Tobi March 10, 2013
Pemi March 15, 2013
Hannah March 8, 2014

For any additions or corrections post them to this thread or contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Ed

Thank you for keeping this going. Kali and I finished another single season together 3/16/14. What a great companion. I am so lucky to have her and cherish every hike we take together. She is my freedom that keeps returning me to these hills. A love I never before felt.

Congratulations. That't really great. You're obviously quite the hiker yourself. She wouldn't have the opportunity to do all that without you. Maybe we should make a category for multiple and single season finishers.

Sometimes when people talk to me about the hiking Lauky had done they will hesitate and then ask do you go with him. I guess I must not fit the profile. Anyway, my stock response now is "Well usually, but sometimes he just asks for the keys and takes off by himself." That usually elicits a quizzical look, then a smile. :)

Pepper--first canine redline finisher

John Sobetzer reports that Pepper the fourth ever canine winter 48 finisher and the first and as far as I know the only canine grid finisher is now the first ever canine reline finisher.

Here is John's report:
Hi Ed:

Pepper finished his Redlining today on Williard, after a morning doing
some short trails in the Randolphs. We were joined by Georg, Per &
Cinnilla and Marty D for the final hike, and Hiker Ed and Tim C with
Nyx joined us for a tailgate afterwards. Per even had a certificate
made for Pepper, in red ink of course.

When Pepper and I finished our Grids, I thought nothing could ever be
as much fun to do together. But I think I can say his post Grid
redlining was even better, since we did trails I hadn't been on in
years and little remembered and had fun playing the "game", while he
found freedom/solitude, sips n dips, lots of squeaky "toys" and new
terrain to explore.

As you well know, it's the hikes in the mountains with our
incomparable buddies that matters most, the lists are games that
spread it around, taking us to new trails or peaks in different
seasons. It was so much fun that we'll just keep on redlining trails
come the next warm weather season, although we may toss a few more 4Ks
in there. After all neither he nor I have done the 366 yet.

John and Pepper

Congratulations John and Pepper. I really wish Lauky and I could have been there with you for that finish today, we're just to far away right now.

Last edited:
I've noted with interest the mention of a number of canine finishers both this year and in past years of the NH 48 winter peaks. Since the AMC does not recognize canine finishers I was interested in trying to put together a list.
I thought the AMC did recognise them until after Brutus finished, so that he was the one and only AMC recognised NH4kW canine finisher. I thought I read that once, but I also have CRS.