Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter nh 48 canine finishers

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Thanks for the great pictures, I've reposted them here.

Marley on Jackson

Marley on Agony Ridge

Marley doing some trail work

Marley supervising the shoveling of the driveway

I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    On two occasions while breaking trail going slowly up a steep trail even with a coat Lauky started shivering. Both times we just turned around and headed down. Moving faster down hill warmed him up and guess what. The trail was still there when we went back the next time and made it up. Also, with a dog like Lauky, the tale is in the tail. He always carries his tail straight up. If I notice that the tail is down even at half mast I can tell that he's not comfortable. And if he starts to slow down, I can tell he's getting cold. While Duffy never got cold, he did have problems in the heat and I had to be very careful in the hot heat of summer. He did get over heated once on Madison. We rested for a long time that day until he cooled down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin, Judy and Emma View Post
    In the end, I would neither encourage nor discourage anyone from attempting this with their dog. I would ask that your dog’s comfort and safety be first and foremost in your mind when hiking in any season, but especially in winter. We turned back on hikes where snow was clumping on her fur more than once, and on other hikes where wind, weather or sheer frigid temps made conditions dangerous. I would hope that all would consider the risk of winter hiking fully before pushing on in tough conditions merely to bag a peak which will still be there when the weather is nicer.
    The AMC 4k Club decided not to list winter dogs because of potential abuse by owners but it seems that owners instead are extra careful - I know I have done plenty of winter hikes that I wouldn't subject a dog to :-)

Maybe a new HikeSafe rule should be added: Bring a dog, it will make you behave more carefully :-)

The AMC 4k Club continues to list winter finishes by people under 18 which could be disallowed by the same logic, that is in line with society in general where animal welfare organizations thrived long before concern about cruelty to children and spouses

One of the things I've learned from correspondence with some very serious winter hikers is that those who are the most into winter hiking are the most careful with their dogs. They understand the risks and don't take them with their dogs. I think the biggest risk to a dog comes from the casual hiker who goes out often unprepared and puts both himself and his dog in danger. This is true in the summer as well.
    Yup, I'll bet a lot more dogs have died hiking in NH from heat problems than cold, often out-of-shape pets on easy peaks - and this may be true for people too

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    The AMC 4k Club continues to list winter finishes by people under 18 which could be disallowed by the same logic, that is in line with society in general where animal welfare organizations thrived long before concern about cruelty to children and spouses
    Where? The following pages summarize and detail finishers but not by age.

http://www.amc4000footer.org/faq.htm#finish
    Q. How many people have finished the lists?

A. As of April 14, 2012, 10,098 people (and 138 dogs) have reported finishing the White Mountain 4000-footers, but only 550 have done them all in winter. 2,557 people have reported completion of the New England 4000-footers (148 in winter) and for the 100-Highest, the numbers are 761 and 94 respectively. A detailed tabulation of finshers by year is available online.

http://www.amc4000footer.org/finishers.htm

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Where? The following pages summarize and detail finishers but not by age.

Tim
    While the ages may not be posted, when it comes to the youngest and oldest and anything significant in between, a comment is generally made about it when the certificate is awarded at the awards ceremony.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Smallest canine finisher

I met Bob, Geri and Dusty on the trail Saturday. We got to talking about the smallest canine finisher. I just checked with John Sobetzer about Pepper and he's 30 lbs. Lauky is 24 lbs. Therefore to date, we figure the smallest finisher right now is Atticus who was probably about 20 lbs when in full trail condition.

Dusty weighs 18 lbs. right now and when he finishes next year he could well be the smallest. There is one factor John and I were discussing. Pepper put on close to 8 lbs of mostly muscle over the years of hiking and Lauky at one year was 20 lbs. At two years he was 22 lbs and at 4 years he was 24 lbs. The vet told me that normally he wouldn't like that kind of weight gain but he could see that it was all muscle and he had no problem with it.

All that being said, watch out Bob, if Dusty starts putting on those weight lifter quads he may get bigger than Atticus.

As for all season finishers I'm wondering if Emma might be the smallest finisher. I met a fellow on South Twin this fall with a Min Pin. He was saying that he thought when his dog finished she might be the smallest finisher ever.

As for the largest finisher I doubt there will ever be one bigger than Brutus, the undisputed heavy weight champion.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
    If Thor and I get Monroe through Adams this weekend he will have finished the all-season and will have just ten winter peaks left for next year. We lay low in July because the heat is tough on both of us. i also have been waiting for snow on the Northern Presis because he is not into booties and its the only time I will take him to that rock haven!
    The heart of the journey is in the path not the peak!

Bon Voyage. Can't wait to get the mighty Thor on the list.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Israel Buddha Cano ("Izzy")

Here's a photo of the magnificent IZZY and his owner Tim Muskat

Izzy completed his first winter round on March 16, 2011. He completed eight full rounds of the WM 4,000-footers -- four of them in consecutive seasons -- and 393 overall.

Wow, that's very impressive.
    Last edited by Ed'n Lauky; 06-10-2013 at 04:27 PM.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Good thing that Dusty started when he was 15 pounds! Don't need to give Geri any ideas on putting him on a diet

FYI - Toby who hikes with Larissa (Lriz) finished his Winter 48 last Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by bobandgeri View Post
    Good thing that Dusty started when he was 15 pounds! Don't need to give Geri any ideas on putting him on a diet

FYI - Toby who hikes with Larissa (Lriz) finished his Winter 48 last Sunday!
    Actually Larissa has Toby posted back on page 4. Congratulations again to Toby. No doubt he'll be bagging MANY more peaks before he's done.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry.

Updated list

This is our list as it stands so far. If you know of any other canines who finished their winter round please let me know or just post it here.

Brutus Jan. 18, 2004
    Feb. 22(?), 2007
    Marley March 16, 2009
    Pepper Jan. 29, 2011
    Romeo March 15, 2011
    Izzy-Israel March 16, 2011
    Lauky February 16, 2012
    Cinilla March 7, 2012
    Quinn March 10, 2012
    Kali Feb. 16, 2013
    Tobi March 10, 2013

I did receive an E-mail letting me know that in two or three weeks there will be a blockbuster announcement concerning one of our finishers.
    It will be probably the most significant canine accomplishment to this point here in the North East.
    Last edited by Ed'n Lauky; 03-23-2015 at 09:26 AM.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

I did receive an E-mail letting me know that in two or three weeks there will be a blockbuster announcement concerning one of our finishers.
    It will be probably the most significant canine accomplishment to this point here in the North East.
    Pepper will finish the grid?

Tim

Pepper, the first canine to finish the grid

Pepper and his owner John Sobetzer just finished the grid today on Isolation. Pepper is the first dog ever to complete the grid. Congratulations Pepper.

Pepper on Monroe yesterday.

More photos and details here: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...inish-the-Grid

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed