Site Near Mt Moosilauke's Glencliff Trailhead Added to NH Register of Historic Places

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Many readers of this Forum are likely already aware of this. However, for anyone who isn't aware (and who might have an interest), there is a place that was recently added to the NH register of historic places in February 2012.

If you've ever hiked the Glencliff Trail to Mt. Moosilauke, then you've driven past this site. The place that I'm speaking of is the High Street Cemetery in Benton. There are 46 grave markers, the oldest of which dates to 1812 and the newest to 1877. Buried here are the pioneers who settled this remote and rugged area in the early 19th century.

The Littleton Courier newspaper recently published a fine article written by Khela McGann which provides details about this cemetery and the background story about it being added to the NH Register of Historic Places.

Khela graciously agreed to allow me to post the content of her article. If you're interested in reading it, please click HERE.
- - - - - - - - -
Shown below are a few photos taken when I visited this site about 6 weeks ago in conjunction with a trek to Mud Pond along the nearby Tunnel Brook Trail.

P1050511.JPG

P1050510.JPG

OldGraveyard.jpg

Interesting story. Quite a bit of work was certainly involved to make this happen. Sometimes when I'm hiking along a trail, especially if it looks like a cart road, I imagine that I am on my way "home" to one of those early settlements. I used to do that when I rode off-road motorcyles and we'd string together as many old, abandonded ways we could find. I love stone walls but am also fascinated by the history of the ancient cemeteries hidden away and forgotten, as this one was.