Moosilauke via Glencliff, Carriage Rd., Hurricane (loop)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NH Tramper

Date of Hike: March 31, 2012

Trail Conditions: On Glencliff it was a dry start changing to an inch or two of new snow on most of the ascent with some icy patches closer to the Carriage Rd. junction, ice floes, but nothing major because they were mostly on flat stair sections. Nothing I felt dangerous enough for me to put on my crampons. If I had microspikes (on my to-get list), I would have worn them. Just about everyone I saw was wearing them. There were ice bridges over runoff sections but they were hard and secure (in the morning, anyway) On the Carriage Rd. from the junction to the summit (and from the junction to the south summit as well) there was a difficult-to-walk-on monorail covered with fresher powder. The monrail was hardpacked so I wasn't sinking but it was awkward to negotiate, a few shallow holes. Not good for the ankles. On Carriage Rd. to the junction of Hurricane Trail it started off really difficult. No real monorail and awkward walking, the snow there was a bit deeper and softer. Others I met ascending were wearing snowshoes. If I had them I might have put them on just to make it easier going. That said, it only lasted about .3 miles or so then conditions improved dramatically. The trail then got muddy and soft, then became fairly dry and road-like to the Hurricane Trail junction. On Hurricane Trail (W) It started snowy almost immediately upon leaving Carriage Rd. (probably due to the lack of sun on that section). It stayed like that, albeit getting deeper to the Hurricane Mtn. summit (3015'), until I was well into that peak's descent. On Hurricane trail there were a number of blowdowns/deadfalls and the markings were sparse or outright missing in most sections. I never went off the trail but I did have to stop a couple of times to make sure I was still going the right way. On the Hurricane Mtn. descent there were a couple of ice floes but nothing major, but the trail was rough with lots of holes between roots and rocks, a lots of water. It was like a small stream in places. There was no monorail. My tracks were the only human tracks on that trail (though I did see bobcat, fox, moose, turkey, rabbit, and squirrel tracks). It seems to be a deteriorating, seldom-used trail. Later it got soft and muddy then dried out closer to the Glencliff Trail junction near the trailhead.

Special Equipment Required: I barebooted all day but microspikes would be handy for better speed and security. Snowshoes on the part of Carriage Rd. described above. I used poles and would have put on my crampons if I didn't have them.

Comments: I loved the Glencliff trail. It was very pretty and fun to hike. I didn't care for the Carriage Rd. that much, a couple of views but kind of boring, road-like. Hurricane Trail was also a lot of fun and it had some really nice/pretty sections close the the Hurricane Mtn. summit. Having a second ascent really helped make the hike interesting by breaking things up a bit. I would recommend Hurricane Trail to any one who likes rough, seldom used trails. The loop was over all pretty nice, though I'll probably never do the Carriage Rd. on its own.

There were some nice views on the way down, but on the ascent and on the summit of Moosilauke (and the south summit) there was nothing but clouds to see. Very cool, though, like a winter wonderland. Also, I met some nice folks both ways. I did get to see the snowy Presidentials part of the way down Carriage Rd. The summit of Hurricane mountain was no frills; no views even though it was really sunny and clear by that time. I did see Vermont on the Hurricane Mtn. descent though. Great day, overall.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH