Uphill walking in Campton to Lincoln area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I try, on most days when I am not hiking, to walk for at least an hour, and if possible two. I find it hard to raise my heart rate meaningfully on a flat road (it seems to require constant concentration) but have no difficulty doing so on an uphill road, even at a very moderate grade. Hence I do almost all of my walking on roads with some inclination.

I have just made two posts on such walks on my blog: 1,500 Feet of Vertical on Roads in Waterville Estates and Uphill Road Walking in the Campton to Lincoln Area.

I rarely take my camera on such walks, as they are all in the trees with minimal views. The walk to Russell Pond does, however, pass by a cleared viewpoint, I had previously posted some pictures from it. I returned to take a few more photos for the post, and for the first time notices that it was possible to just see the pointed peak of West Osceola through the leafless trees:

P1040997.JPG

Here is a view of three summits (West, Middle and Main) of Mount Osceola plus Breadtray Ridge:

P1040998.JPG

More pictures on the blog post!

Last edited:
Nice looking road walks Mohamed, I will have to try them. Ellsworth Hill Road in Campton is a good workout, from route 3 up past the old inn, where the view is excellent. And you can take a left just past the inn and walk to the top of Mason road, past an old farm and the little red schoolhouse, again with a great view. You do need to be alert for approaching traffic around some of the curves on the main road, but it's usually fairly quiet on weekdays.

There is also a short but very steep road off of Owl Street near the golf course, up Sunset Ridge. The view is terrific from the top, and you can continue up a dirt road where the pavement ends and find additional views in various directions.

I usually walk from my house up 49 to Burbank Hill Rd then along Upper Mad River Rd to the Welch/Dickey trailhead then down Upper Mad to six mile bridge, then walk along 49 back to my house. Another hike I like is to hike up Chickenboro to the forest land then through an open field, which then connects to an old forest road that leads to Sandwich Notch Road, then back to 49.

Nice road walk

Ellsworth Hill Road in Campton is a good workout, from route 3 up past the old inn, where the view is excellent. And you can take a left just past the inn and walk to the top of Mason road, past an old farm and the little red schoolhouse, again with a great view.

I agree here, I just walked to the old Inn from my apt off Rt. 3 a week ago. Park at the steel bridge over the Pemi (Rt. 49) then walk up Ellsworth Hill then Mason roads for extra mileage and elevation (3 miles one way). Take a right and extend it even further to the end of Cook Hill Rd for views north over sweet parcel of land (3.9 miles.)

Last edited:
Ellsworth Hill Road in Campton is a good workout, from route 3 up past the old inn, where the view is excellent. And you can take a left just past the inn and walk to the top of Mason road, past an old farm and the little red schoolhouse, again with a great view.

Park at the steel bridge over the Pemi (Rt. 49) then walk up Ellsworth Hill then Mason roads for extra mileage and elevation (3 miles one way). Take a right and extend it even further to the end of Cook Hill Rd for views north over sweet parcel of land (3.9 miles.)

Thanks!!

I knew that Ellsworth Hill Road goes up steeply, but did not know about Mason and Cook Hill roads. Also good to know where to park.

On the topic of parking: there is a dirt lot across RT. 3 from the Sunset Grille with no signs ... is it OK to park there?

I agree here, I just walked to the old Inn from my apt off Rt. 3 a week ago.

Many thanks, guys! I have driven up that road years ago when hiking Three Ponds and Mount Carr, but have never thought of walking there. Went today all the way to the end of Cook Hill Road, about four miles each way with 1,100 feet of elevation gain. Excellent views at the site of the old inn, many good views on Mason Road, and excellent views again at the end of Cook Hill Road. Will post something after looking at the photos.

Forgot to post a link to my blog post: Ellsworth Hill Road, 4/13/2012.

Last edited: