Rare Bird Sighting Along Zealand Road. Incredible!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
Today we were exploring some historical sites from days of yore when our little group decided to stop for lunch at the wildlife pond along Zealand Rd. It's a good thing we did. We saw an incredibly rare sight today. These rare Pink Peeps migrate through the Whites about this time of year, every year. We were just fortunate to be able to watch the little critter for several minutes before it finally disappeared. What a day!

Our first sighting of the rare Pink Peep. They usually are yellow. The pink one's are extremely rare.
P1070314.JPG

Breathtaking.
P1070316.JPG

Their migration must be extremely difficult with no wings.
P1070317.JPG

It was just hanging out, gaining strength for the next leg of its migration.
P1070319.JPG

It must be very tired as at one point it just fell over.
P1070320.JPG

Admiring the view.
P1070322.JPG

None of us saw it fly off, but the next thing we knew, the Pink Peep was resting in this tree. I think it was looking for handouts. What a day!
P1070325.JPG

Bird geek that I am, you had me all excited with your title :eek: ..... Oh well this well save me the drive. I'm heading out into the front yard to photograph my local pink flamingoes ..... :rolleyes:

Hope you got some chocolate sauce to go with this. Some of us will do anything to get a greenie.
:confused::eek::)

Here in NYC we only have the common yellow peep fly through this time of year. The Pink is a rare find for sure.

You had me hooked too. Sad that the one swimming in the pond seems to have gone belly up.

Happy Easter everyone

What a great sighting to add to your life list! If I'm not mistaken, these are usually seen in groups of 5. Perhaps the others were lost to predation.;)

Nice! I've seen these before near home, resting peacefully at a mellow marsh whose name escapes me.

Like the Bob-white the peeps in the Northeast have escaped from a breeder...in this case an easter basket. You can take care of them by creating a nice nest of easter hay and feeding them jelly beans. It is good thing you took photos because the rare bird committee of New Hampshire usualy will doubt such sightings.

What an incredible stroke of luck! The Pink Peep is one of the most elusive of all the coniferous birds of the North East. Reminds me of the time I had the good fortune of seeing a chocolate rabbit go hippity hoppity down the trail several years ago.

:D LMAO good post!

Wow! What an amazing sight! You were both so lucky! I've been trying to lure these birds to my birdfeeders for years! I was told Halloween candy corn would do the trick. :eek: