Maine Huts & Trails--New Executive Director

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to see our huts start being structured like they are in Europe...

~ many huts have a range of basic ($) to luxurious accommodations ($$$) to appeal to a wider audience
~ some/many huts allow you to opt in for a cooked meal (i.e. "demi-pension") or you can bring your own
~ every hut I stayed in France, Switzerland and Italy costs less than $70/USD with dinner and breakfast. Our huts are a ripoff in comparison.
~ there are enough huts in many areas that you can show up without a reservation

Very good, glad she got her old job back...apparently after being less than welcome in the Maine Trails System.

We stumbled across their office in Kingfield a few days ago. I was not familiar with their organization, but I figured 'with a name like [that], you know it has to be good'. :D

Well, not so fast. We were greeted immediately by a very friendly man, who asked how he could help us. I asked him if they had any information on Mt. Abraham, which is only a few miles away. We quickly realized that this was a very specific set of 'Maine Huts and Trails', not an umbrella organization. They knew nothing about Abraham, nor about any of the 4Ks in the general area. They did offer us a free map, and showed us where the 'groomed trails' were. I got the impression that these trails were NOT for hikers, they were for skiers. (Is that correct?). I'm sure that's not the case for summer, but Laurie whispered to me as we left the office, "And never the twain shall meet".

I got the impression that these trails were NOT for hikers, they were for skiers. (Is that correct?). I'm sure that's not the case for summer, but Laurie whispered to me as we left the office, "And never the twain shall meet".
The groomed trails are also for snow shoes with the usual courtesy of staying to the side and avoiding ski tracks. There are also separate "hiking" and ski trails in some places and in some places the ski trails are not maintained for "summer" use. Unless you're hell bent to peak bag you'll find a lot of interesting trails; my favorite views of the trail to date are on Flagstaff Lake looking west to the Bigelow Range and Grand Falls, but I haven't been to the latest hut to open.

BTW, they serve wine and beer at the huts.

Did someone say beer? :D

Thanks for the clarification. My point of reference is the ADK Loj (private) property. There are trails there that do not allow snowshoeing at all, but most are shared.

Tom, I expect the confusion is intentional on the name, the plan appears to be to market the system as a desitination location for international trekkers and folks from other parts of the country so making sure Maine prominently in the name is marketing.

Someday if the finish out the system from Quebec to Moosehead and connects up with Maine AMC hit to hut system in the 100 mile wilderness it would probably live up to their name, Right now more appropriate would the Western Highlands huts and trails.

Very glad to hear about Charlie getting this position: great guy who truly loves the outdoors but also understands how you get things done here in Maine.

New Director

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/12/...rails-selects-new-leader-plans-for-expansion/

Of interest beyond the PR is the now stated goal of two news huts to connect up with Rangeley. I expect one will be in the Caribou Valley and another north of the Navy facility. Once they get a 6 day hut to hut experience in place I expect they are going to start bringing in a lot of international visitors as week long trip seems to be the hook that most folks are looking for.

And I met the new Director. Shes very nice. Apparently MHT was doing some briefing, team-building exercises for the new hut crews at Poplar Falls Hut.

We barebooted up the trail. Fairly easy walking, although it was cold as hell. Next week will be better after it snows and they can start grooming the trails.

Of interest beyond the PR is the now stated goal of two news huts to connect up with Rangeley.

Sounds brilliant to me. The whole Redington region is well-deserving of protection, light recreational development, appropriate access, in a careful balance. I can't think of any single model that would really be appropriate...it's certainly not a National Park or National Forest or really anything Federal-level thing for so many reasons. Folks getting together to sort it out on the ground seems the best way.

I've been to each of the huts at least twice and look forward to more.