dead coyote pic

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sabrina, yes he was...it's sad to see him dead, but I still find it facinating to get a look at such a cool forest creature

dead coyote pix

OK- not sure why this is needed. I'd much rather see a photo of a live animal. I have a photo of a dead cat- anyone want to see?

We can start a whole new thing- dead animals on line- oh wait they have that already. Where is that spring wildflower thread...

OK- not sure why this is needed. I'd much rather see a photo of a live animal. I have a photo of a dead cat- anyone want to see?

We can start a whole new thing- dead animals on line- oh wait they have that already. Where is that spring wildflower thread...

I kind of agree with you. However, at least the picture is not directly on the page - it must be clicked on, if that's any consolation!!! There have also been other pictures of dead animals in other posts that haven't posted warnings ahead of time, so, at least this said "dead" in the title....

I felt bad looking at the picture but curiosity got the better of me, so, I had to click on it!!!! :(

Also, I've occasionally posted some gross things in my posts probably unintentionally grossing people out!!! :(

Last edited:
Many folks have never seen a coyote live or dead, so this could be a very helpful ID photo...I have also seen a "gray fox" road kill in NH before, and seen one or two in the flesh, and it was really difficult to tell them apart until I happened to be seeing many more coyote...and good luck catching a photo of a live coyote, but I can look out my window and take a photo of the neighbor's calico....

I've never seen one before (beautiful animal) but I have heard them, or at least that's what I think. One night my wife and I were in bed and a large number or pack of them crossed our back yard. Boy were they noisy, and scary. The noises they made were something straight out of hell, or so it seemed. And so close. It really gave us the creeps. Oddly enough, I think I heard the same thing this weekend, from the summit of Mt. Passaconaway at around noon. In the bowl northwest of the summit, somewhere out there in the woods, I heard the same exact noises albeit at a greater distance. Again it sounded like a whole pack of animals.

:confused: No love lost here, 45 lb rats in my book. Both my wife and I have been within 20' of them in our back yard, closer on local trails and golf course. Our old dog contracted "fox mites" (mange) from them. Missing Dog/Cat signs are ubiquitous. Neighbor's invisible fenced dog was just killed by one. I'm sure they'd happily invite our new puppy to dinner, if given the chance. Road kill is common. Rabies is a potential. I guess we're spoiled.

I for one am interested in seeing and tracking animals so this pic is interesting and not the least bit offensive to me. It DID have a disclaimer :)

Back OT, this guy/gal looks more representative of coyote than red wolf lineage, relative to other coyotes (dead or alive) I've seen. There seems to be a strong population of both in the Whites.

Last edited:

sniffle:(

...Well, first, we share our forest experiences, which includes wildlife such as coyote, because we want to. Your dead cat photo would not be relevent to this forum.

Second, you didn't have to click the link. The post title indicates the coyote is dead, so you didn't even "need" to click on the thread, let alone the image.

Third, naturalists learn alot more about wildlife from dead animals than from live ones.

Hopefully, this will sooth your hurt feelings...from the Gulf of Slides

9-29-07-046-vftt.jpg

9-29-07-024-vftt.jpg

WARNING!!!!! the next photo is may offend some!!!!! Warning!!!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/9-29-07-039-vftt.jpg

Thank you forestgnome bro! Awsome pics as always.I try often to get animal pics,including spending days trying to get the good shot.Two weeks ago,I got the drop on a woodpecker but had no camera on me.Next three days,he would not let me within 200 yards.I also recently tried to get some pics of some wild turkeys who wandered up to my "camp' by accident.I followed them very aggressively to a open clearing where they got pissed and flew off.I was laughing so hard because I do not remember ever seeing one fly off.It was like a cartoon watching this huge bird try to take off,it would go up 10 feet and then down 5 feet before gaining slight altitude.The whole time it was yelling at me.I am amazed at the shots you get.
These pics you put up of the coyote are VERY important here in the northeast.They are all over the general area now and could shift the balance of the environs they share with other animals in a negative manner.

These pics you put up of the coyote are VERY important here in the northeast.They are all over the general area now and could shift the balance of the environs they share with other animals in a negative manner.

Or a positive way. It isn't a terrible thing to have something besides cars and hunters to keep the deer population in check. Deer negatively affect the rate of regeneration of hardwoods in areas where they browse heavily, which is a problem for folks who are trying to manage their forest for timber. Especially with numbers of hunters on the decline.

Or a positive way. It isn't a terrible thing to have something besides cars and hunters to keep the deer population in check. Deer negatively affect the rate of regeneration of hardwoods in areas where they browse heavily, which is a problem for folks who are trying to manage their forest for timber. Especially with numbers of hunters on the decline.
Very,very good point.I always explain my love for the woods to people as a "attempt to help the forest get back to a more mature stage of tree development,ie;hardwood forest".I have noticed less deer this spring so far and a ton of hardwood saplings. My local logger buddy tells me there are plenty of coyote in our area.Could they[coyote]be making more of a ecological impact,a faster one then previously thought?With the up till recently drought conditions,the hardwood sapling increase made no sense while at the same time the white pine immature trees are being wiped out by lack of water.To me the discussion of the coyote is going to be big in the foreseeable future.I am glad to get pics of what they look like.

Last edited:
Understanding the local coyote/deer relationship isn't exactly the same as the Yellowstone wolf/elk relationship, I'd guess they are similar. I've seen a coyote moving a herd of deer locally. The below implies just keeping the elk (in our case, deer) moving prevents over grazing and allows for improved habitat. So perhaps the coyote is worth something higher, in my mind, than rat status;

article on subject said:
"So in Yellowstone national park when wolves returned, they kept the elk herds on the move. This prevented overgrazing which allowed willow and aspen trees to return and thrive. With the return of the willow and aspen, we saw a decrease of erosion in the stream beds in the river ecosystems in the park, which meant that song birds, fish, amphibians beavers and all sorts of other life could return to those areas," said Hunt.

yellowstone_tx700.jpg

Different species often interact in ways that may not be obvious.

Sometimes removal of a single species (a keystone species--often an apex predator) can have large effects throughout the local ecosystem. The increase of aspen in Yellowstone following the reintroduction of wolves is a classic example. Historically, wolves and large cats were probably the apex predators in the Whites--in their absence coyotes (or wolf-coyote hybrids) can probably serve the the role.

Deer currently overpopulate the NE, a viable predator could bring their population down to a more reasonable level and reduce their impact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_species

Doug

Little off topic. I am not sure if it is the lack of water but my wife and I took a short road trip and I spotted three dead turkeys from car strikes and several live ones running around. They must have had an easy winter. There are lots around. Now they might be moving a lot to try to find water - maybe?

Keith

Now they might be moving a lot to try to find water - maybe?

Keith

Maybe. Flocks are also breaking up, moving to spring breeding areas. I saw a first for me yesterday; I've seen turkey roosting in trees and feeding/walking on the ground but yesterday I saw several just laying/sitting in a field. It was weird. I didn't recognize them at first.