Easily accessible, must-see destination in the Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ow2010

Reaction score
I'm planning a roadtrip across the major mountain ranges of the northeast this summer (Berkshires, Adirondacks, Greens, Whites, mtns of Maine)... I'm wondering what are some must-see places for hiking in the Adirondacks? I realize it isn't enough time to do the place justice, but I will likely only devote a day or two to the area, so I'm looking for a day-hike with dramatic views... I'd like to do a peak in the Great Range but it sounds like those peaks are pretty isolated. Any suggestions are welcome :)

The most remote of the peaks in the Great Range is Marcy, and that's about 14 miles round trip from the Adirondack Loj. Despite being the longest distance-wise, Marcy is actually one of the easier peaks (provided the weather is good- above treeline is no where near "easy" in adverse conditions!). The difficulty in the Great Range lies not in how remote these peaks are, but how rugged they are. The isolated peaks in the Adirondacks (like Allen and the Seward and Santanoni Ranges) tend not to have great views.

I'd say that if you're used to climbing 4,000 footers, with an early start climbing one or two peaks in the Great Range shouldn't be too bad of a day hike for you. Marcy from the Loj, Haystack from the garden (Keene Valley), or Gothics from the Ausable Club (St. Huberts) are all good options for "must see" views.

Algonquin from the Adirondack Loj could also be a good hike- amazing views. It's only 8 miles round trip, but it is pretty steep.

Dix or Whiteface would also be good options. You might even choose to drive up the Whiteface toll road! (Or avoid this mountain because it had a road to the summit!)

If you want to avoid crowds, I'd suggest timing your visit for midweek. :)

Last edited:
I'm no Dacks expert, but I'd do Marcy or Algonquin (see Marcy Dam also if you only do Algonquin) if you had the time. Less time, easier access would be Cascade and Porter. If you have time for it, the views of Lake George from Tongue Mountain are pretty spectacular.

My favorite hike for someone new to the Adirondacks is still Gothics via Pyramid. It gives you some steep climbs, a 360° view from the summit, and some great views of the unique Adirondack slides from Pyramid. If you want some short hikes for a quick morning/afternoon, I'd recommend Noonmark or Hurricane - both have open summits with fantastic views.

My favorite hike for someone new to the Adirondacks is still Gothics via Pyramid. It gives you some steep climbs, a 360° view from the summit, and some great views of the unique Adirondack slides from Pyramid. If you want some short hikes for a quick morning/afternoon, I'd recommend Noonmark or Hurricane - both have open summits with fantastic views.

...what he said!!!

What they said...Gothics is a wonderful hike with fantastic views. Depending on the amount of time you have to spend, a hike on Noonmark has a lot of bang for the buck. Ampersand has a great summit with views of the lake country.

Ampersand has a great summit with views of the lake country.

This is also an excellent recommendation. Being able to see the sprawling lake country and the High Peaks from the same summit is pretty cool. And it can be done in just a few hours.

This is also an excellent recommendation. Being able to see the sprawling lake country and the High Peaks from the same summit is pretty cool. And it can be done in just a few hours.

And if you do Ampersand on a hot summer day, you can go swim in Middle Saranac Lake afterwards...

Jay

Pyramid, Gothics, Armstrong Loop

IMO, there are few views unsurpassed in the High Peaks and Pyramid is at the the top of that short list. Although not an "official" 46er summit, the summit shelf of Pyramid (4595') is breathtaking (literally and figuratively) and provides a spectacular perspective of the south rampart of Gothics and the massive upper great range.

The Alfred W. Weld Trail approach from the Ausable Lake Road begins your unforgettable, clockwise loop. Pyramid opens the show followed by Gothics, 4736' - with extensive views in every direction. From Gothics, there is a wonderful section of the Range Trail that takes you 400' down to the Gothics/Armstrong col. Armstrong (4400') is close enough from this point for a viable out and back option that provides another great perspective of the rugged terrain of the High Peaks.

From the Gothics/Armstrong col, the descent to close the loop begins on the Beaver Meadows Falls Trail where you can eventually link with AMR Trails back to the Lake Road and public parking (off Route 73).

The entire loop with Pyramid, Gothics and Armstrong is approximately 14 miles and 3500'+ of vertical ascent.

I also concur with Dunbar and Peakbagr with their recommendations regarding Noonmark and Hurricane Mountains, but unfortunately my opinion of Ampersand (although a great mountain) is not as high due to distracting and unsightly graffiti on the summit rocks.

Mt. Jo gets a lot of grief from the "REAL" hikers on this and other forums... But the round trip is less than two hours for a family of four, and the views are amazing. Track on Wikiloc.

Next up in difficulty would be Cascade and Porter. Less than 6 hours for a family, and the views are stellar. Track on Wikiloc.

Another one with fantastic views would be Giant, include Rocky Peak Ridge if you want more of a challange. Track on Wikiloc. BTW the family depicted in the pictures is not mine, they were borrowed for the day.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great recommendations! I have some great options to weigh now.

Gothics had always caught my eye and Pete's suggested loop sounds like a tempting choice.

Thanks also for the recommendation of Giant...that was another one I had looked into.

Also depends on how much time you have or your tolerance for crowds. Giant and Giant-Rocky Peak is a great destination. But expect Giant to be very, very crowded on weekends, and just merely crowded during the week. Ditto Cascade and Porter.
The Gothics-Pyramid hike will always see less crowds, but unlikely you'll have the trails to yourself.

Mt. Jo gets a lot of grief from the "REAL" hikers on this and other forums... But the round trip is less than two hours for a family of four, and the views are amazing. Track on Wikiloc.

Next up in difficulty would be Cascade and Porter. Less than 6 hours for a family, and the views are stellar. Track on Wikiloc.

There are no trails in the Adirondacks with a difficulty that falls between Jo and Cascade/Porter? ;)

Doesn't have to be a 4K foot peak.

Two interesting peaks that give you a lot of views for a small amount of work are Hurricane and Pitchoff. Bigger is not always better. Hurricane provides interesting views of most of the high peaks. Pitchoff is a relatively short climb, then a walk along a ridge which has numerous viewspots.

My first Adirondack hike was Pyramid>Gothics>Armstrong>Upper Wolf Jaw. Though we saw little but the inside of a cloud, I'll concur that it's a great hike.

Wright & and Algonquin offer stunning views and it's a relatively easy hike.

ow2010, are you including the Chic Chocs in your tour. Though they're seemingly in another Galaxy, they're marvelous.

I'd also recommend Brothers and Big Slide, with views of the Great Range coming early and often, and the option of a loop down to John's Brook and back.

ow2010, are you including the Chic Chocs in your tour. Though they're seemingly in another Galaxy, they're marvelous.

I hear about the Chic-Chocs every now and then but I just took the time to look into them....they definitely look worth seeing but they are WAY out there. I think they would need a trip of their own.

So a couple of days, see some sites from the car & a couple of hikes? So much to see, so little time.

Just yourself? How fit, how many hikes can you do in a day? I'm in agreement with the general sentiment that more "must sees" are in the High peaks, here are a view from the South of the Route 73 area though:

There is a good view you can see from the car in Newcomb of the High Peaks. The view from Elk Lake Lodge is fantastic also (open this summer?) You can easily walk up the road from the Dix parking of Elk Pass & the peaks overlooking Elk Lake is fantastic. It's graced their ad for years.

In that general area, Vanderwhacker provides a great view of the High peaks from it's summit

For the Keene Valley, ADK Loj area....

Stop at Chapel Pond for a couple of minutes.

There are two general views on Gothics, the views are great from it except you can't see Gothics, maybe the best visual peak in the ADK's. (The Pyramid option addresses that to some degree)

If I'm in the type of shape I was in at age 30 or in 2006, if it's rained lately, I hike in to Beaver Meadow Falls seeing the Ausable Club - maybe even going to the 1st lake. (A trail runner could probably runmost of this) The lake & fall are wonderful. I then drive to the Garden & do the Big Slide & Brothers loop as the views are great & you're across the valley from Gothics. Whether you do the Gothics hike or this one, you really can't go wrong. I'd say the footing is a bit easier on the Big Slide trip (although maybe a decade plus is dulling my memory)

I do a little shopping at the Mountaineer, maybe a slice of pie from the Noonmark & then head to ADK Loj. Even after a full day, you can climb Mt. Jo, it's about 700 feet above the parking lot. The view from the Loj road is fantastic too, even if you don't do Jo.

On the second day, I'd do the Wrights Algonquin loop (Throw Iroquois in too) & then descend to the lake & head out through Avalanche Pass. If you get an early enough start, you should have enough time to drive up Whiteface & take the Elevator up to the top. Can walk back to your car. This will bring you past the Olympic ski jumps too.

Hurricane is a Great peak & Cascade is maybe the easiest 4K peak in the East. If the summits are socked in & weather is miserable, Ausable Chasm is neat as far as a tourist roadside attraction goes.

I'm heading up myself in a couple of weeks, staying in the central region but just thinking about the ADK's is a plus.