NE111 Certificate Numbers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
Ok, a little bragging first. My son Eric and I received our NE111 certificates in the mail today from Mike Dickerman. What was shocking was the assigned numbers - 647 and 648. And only 68 NE111 winter finishers. Is that all? I expected there to be alot more considering 8,000 ADK finishers and 10,000 White 4k finishers.

Does anyone have any counts of certified finishers on the other lists, i.e NEHH, NH48W, CAT35, etc. Just curious.

How about the Colorado 14ers? I'm getting an itch...

I was Number 480, finished September 11, 2004. So at least 170 more in 7½ years. Probably the per-year rate is increasing.

Did you get a complete list, and a booklet, or just a list of people who finished last year? (I got only ’04’s finishers.)

The Forty-Sixers are up to 7355, but that doesn’t include anyone who finished this year. As mentioned in the ‘‘10,000th’’ thread, the AMC hasn’t updated its list in more than four years.

Ok, a little bragging first. My son Eric and I received our NE111 certificates in the mail today from Mike Dickerman. What was shocking was the assigned numbers - 647 and 648. And only 68 NE111 winter finishers. Is that all? I expected there to be alot more considering 8,000 ADK finishers and 10,000 White 4k finishers.

Does anyone have any counts of certified finishers on the other lists, i.e NEHH, NH48W, CAT35, etc. Just curious.

How about the Colorado 14ers? I'm getting an itch...
I can tell you that there are just over 2000 C35'ers and about 700+ W35'ers.

I was Number 480, finished September 11, 2004. So at least 170 more in 7½ years. Probably the per-year rate is increasing.

Did you get a complete list, and a booklet, or just a list of people who finished last year? (I got only ’04’s finishers.)

The Forty-Sixers are up to 7355, but that doesn’t include anyone who finished this year. As mentioned in the ‘‘10,000th’’ thread, the AMC hasn’t updated its list in more than four years.

I received a 2011-12 NE111 finishers list. #643 - 661 all season, #61 - 68 winter. Mike Dickerman stated that a full list is being compiled and will be available shortly by request.

The latest data is from early 2008 and is in the link Raymond cited in reply #2 above. There could be more recent data, but it doesn't appear to be online anywhere.

Tim

2012 4000 footer numbers

below are the numbers announced from the stage at the annual meeting:
List; new/ total
WM 48; 384/ 10098
NE 67; 67/ 2557
NE 100; 23/ 761
WM 48W; 47/ 548
NE 67W; 12/ 144
NE 100W; 3/ 94

I wish we had all the yearly totals so we can see the trends. 47 is higher than average for winter finishers, but winter trails have been crowded the last 4 years, and I would love to see if there is a ramp up to 47 or if the milder-than-average winter caused a bunch of finishers. The single-season finishers went way up this year.

Anyone write down the missing years? I was there for 2008/10 but didn't write the numbers down.

Tim

At the risk of stating the obvious - keep in mind that these numbers probably do NOT represent unduplicated counts of individuals. Rather, most likely they represent the number of certificates handed out.

For example, a NE 100W finisher has probably already obtained a certificate for the WM48, WM48W, NE67, NE67W, and NE 100, for a total of 5 certificates. And, a 111W finisher would add WM48, WM48W, NE67, NE67, W46er, 46erW and 111 for a total of 7 certificates. (That's a lot of patches and certificates!) And I suspect the many 111'ers (like me) did the NE100's before they finished the 111's, especially if they're New Englanders.

Just something to keep in mind when looking at those numbers. View them as the number of certificates issued, not the number of different individuals who completed the lists.

Ok, a little bragging first. My son Eric and I received our NE111 certificates in the mail today from Mike Dickerman. What was shocking was the assigned numbers - 647 and 648.

Congrats Eddie and Eric too. What did you finish on?

My wife Melissa and I finished on Lafayette in 2004 during the transition from Gene to Mike, numbers 489 + 490. Like Raymond, we only got a list of that year's finishers. Tom Rankin's on it, not too many other names I recognize. Went from #467 to 492, with only one winter finisher.

You should think about the NE Hundred Highest, we are still chipping away at them and hope to finish this year.

Last edited:
the slow updating is due to AMC beaucracy - when the lady that did the 111 was ready to retire a friend in NY and i both put in a bid for it (one to handle new members and the other to put out a newsletter) and were told it was already being given to the 4000 footer comittee (dickerman) - the AMC likes to be in "control" of everything that has to do with the white mountains (even though many of those peaks are not all in new england (or white mountains) - also we volunteered to give out certificates at AMC dinner in new hampshire, adk46er dinner in NY and catskill 3500 club dinner in NY (all part of the 111 climbs) - big shots said (no, she said we have have it all, so you cant have it) we argued that it should not belong to the AMC since only half of the climbs belonged to the white mountains - if we had been given the records and blessing you would be getting your numbers quicker, your patches quicker and any information that you wanted (plus a newsletter) - we were promised when we were turned down that things would change - they didn't (maybe even got worse under amc leadership (gene had even told us that after he didn't want it, in retrospect he should have kept it and made the two of us "subcontractiors for him and it would have run better.....

the slow updating is due to AMC beaucracy - when the lady that did the 111 was ready to retire a friend in NY and i both put in a bid for it (one to handle new members and the other to put out a newsletter) and were told it was already being given to the 4000 footer comittee (dickerman) - the AMC likes to be in "control" of everything that has to do with the white mountains (even though many of those peaks are not all in new england (or white mountains) - also we volunteered to give out certificates at AMC dinner in new hampshire, adk46er dinner in NY and catskill 3500 club dinner in NY (all part of the 111 climbs) - big shots said (no, she said we have have it all, so you cant have it) we argued that it should not belong to the AMC since only half of the climbs belonged to the white mountains - if we had been given the records and blessing you would be getting your numbers quicker, your patches quicker and any information that you wanted (plus a newsletter) - we were promised when we were turned down that things would change - they didn't (maybe even got worse under amc leadership (gene had even told us that after he didn't want it, in retrospect he should have kept it and made the two of us "subcontractiors for him and it would have run better.....
It's just this kind of dysfunctional behavior and attitude that the AMC displays that has always kept me from not needing any stinking bozo buttons or decoder rings. Having hiked and climbed in the Northeast for almost 50 years and lived in the shadow of Mount Washington for 35 years I can definitely tell you there is a lot of local disdain for the AMC. IMO most of that disdain originates from their all controlling attitude. Not to mention their self perceived mojo of knowing it all.

Last edited:
I'm proud of finishing those lists and simultaneously aware that they don't mean anything. Accepting or asking for a patch or certificate doesn't mean that I support or even agree with the AMC does. And even though I have no data to back this up, I believe all organizations are dysfunctional on one level or another.