Thread: bear and moose smell like ?

bear and moose smell like ?

Been close enough to smell deer (like horse) and coyote (no smell noticed). Dog was freaking out in yard the other night, made me pick her up. I couldn't see anything, not sure if she did, but there was a noticeable musky/muddy smell. I assume moose smell like deer. Bear ?
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Rockburn, Quebec, Canada living in an old (1830) one room school house just north of the NYS border on the last escarpment of the Dacks.
    A moose nearly stepped on me once and that is probably why I don't remember any smell.

Bears, however, stink to high heaven. They sleep and roll in their own mess! I have had a few close encounters with bears both in the Dacks and in the Rockies and you smell them before you see them. I had a grizzly sow and cub pass right by me in Alberta, but probably for the same reason as the moose (fear) I don't remember a smell.

I never came really close to a coyote, but I did run into a vixen and two kits running across the road as I was on my way to the village this morning.

I've been within a few feet of deer, bear and moose in the wild, never smelled anything (and no, I wasn't fearful). However, I have a pretty poor sense of smell, especially when it comes to musk and dung. I can differentiate horse dung from cow dung in the air inside a stable or when it's being piped onto a field as fertilizer, but I've been known to walk right past a pit toilet without noticing it, when my companions were retching. I can smell wet dog in a house or car, or sweaty horse if I stick my nose under a saddle blanket, but if you say "the smell of horses" [assuming you don't mean horse dung], nothing comes to mind.
    Last edited by nartreb; 05-07-2012 at 02:11 PM.

I'm wondering if my daughter's Axe wearing boyfriend was in the area??
    Stash

What matters is what I do. Not what they do.

Hiking Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35709829@N08/

I would assume a moose would smell similar to a big deer. :P

bears on the other hand often stink pretty bad... like a very stinky wet dog. Often the area they've walked through will continue to smell for 30 minutes or more.

I came withing three feet of a moose and it was kind of horsey smelling. I think depending on what they eat, their nuggets can smell kind of horsey as well

I can't really recall what a moose smells like, although I smelled Star on Madison before I actually saw her. Also, I've had four bears in my yard at one time on more than one occasion and I smelled nothing. Forest Gnome should be able to tell us all about the way a moose smells.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by nartreb View Post
    ... but if you say "the smell of horses" [assuming you don't mean horse dung], nothing comes to mind.
    Not their dung: horse and deer body odor - the smell of their sweat/skin/hair - are similar. This smell was MUCH stronger, again not a dung smell. Apparently male bear this time of year excrete musk. I'm thinking that's what it was, unless someone chimes in about moose or boar or fisher.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
    Sometimes when a fox has recently passed through you get a very strong musky, almost skunk-like smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    A moose nearly stepped on me once and that is probably why I don't remember any smell. Bears, however, stink to high heaven.
    Agreed.

(Why does my minimum post size need to be 10 characters?)