Five hikers rescued from High Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... AMR lands from Upper Works, huh? Ambitious hike! Glad everybody's safe and sound.

Last edited:
The article in your link misses the best, and most hilarious, part:

"As it grew dark, temperatures dipped into the 40s and rain began falling. The group tried to keep warm by urinating on each other, they told rescuers. The technique is not a standard survival technique and apparently provided limited relief."

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Lost-hikers-seek-warmth-from-within-3542789.php#ixzz1uIkofPOV

I guess it must have been a real pisser of a time!

So people in your party might have to resuce you, note to self, no hiking with anyone from Miami when it's in the 40's and raining. :eek::eek:

Can outfitters use this in ads, you can carry some gear or try this in order to keep warm......

If they do, expect long lines at EMS & the Mountaineer or no lines at the trailhead facilities, after all you may need that.... (If I recall correctly your body actually uses more heat to keep urine warm so it's better to be empty - not dehyrated)

Can we go back to real hiking questions....

(If I recall correctly your body actually uses more heat to keep urine warm so it's better to be empty - not dehyrated)
This is a myth that refuses to die...

Urinating or retaining urine does not lower your body temp--but drinking cold water does.

One source of confusion:
When you are chilled, you may have to pee. (The chill causes the production of urine, not the other way around.)

Explanation of cause and effect:
1) When you are chilled, you reduce surface blood flow by vasoconstriction to conserve heat.
2) The vasoconstriction reduces the volume of the circulatory system so you now have some excess (blood) fluid.
3) The kidneys convert some of the (blood) fluid to urine.
4) You need to pee.
5) If you then become hot, you vasodialate and become thirsty (to fill the newly-created circulatory system volume). (The other side of the coin...)

Doug

Last edited:
Glad to hear they're safe.

And Thank God they didn't attempt Allen...;)
Hiking is filled with choices. Do I cross a delapidated bridge and potentially do bodily harm to myself or do I wait and urinate on my fellow hiker? What has this sport come too? Back when I was getting into it they were called Mountains...which put a little scare of respect into my brain. Now you go out with a backup plan of your wiener,a full water bottle and a cell phone. Ouch! Without getting off the couch most of the Human Population realizes it just might hurt a little if "I go out among them Hills". Wakeup:rolleyes::confused::)

Explanation of cause and effect:
1) When you are chilled, you reduce surface blood flow by vasoconstriction to conserve heat.
2) The vasoconstriction reduces the volume of the circulatory system so you now have some excess (blood) fluid.
3) The kidneys convert some of the (blood) fluid to urine.
4) You need to pee.
5) If you then become hot, you vasodialate and become thirsty (to fill the newly-created circulatory system volume). (The other side of the coin...)

Doug
So then.... just thinking out loud here... the rule derived from this would be... if you pee when cold, you should save it to drink for when you get hot. :D

Last edited:
Glad to hear they're safe.

And Thank God they didn't attempt Allen...;)

I was thinking along the same lines :)

This is a myth that refuses to die...

Urinating or retaining urine does not lower your body temp--but drinking cold water does.

One source of confusion:

Doug

The answers to this, and many other questions will be answered today...by Doug Paul. :)

So then.... just thinking out loud here... the rule derived from this would be... if you pee when cold, you should save it to drink for when you get hot. :D
Very true except for the "minor" detail of the wastes in the urine. And, of course, the water in urine has to be recycled on long space flights.

Humans aren't very good at conserving water. In contrast, some desert rodents don't need to drink any liquid water at all--they get all they need from dry food or by oxidizing hydrogen from their food (2H2+O2 -> 2*H2O). Their urine also contains very little water.

We also lose a good bit of water from our skin via sweat or insensible perspiration. On the other hand, the ability to cool our bodies by sweating allows us to hunt by running down animals that cannot cool themselves as efficiently. http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pub/run-for-your-life
This technique was used by the Navaho, the Tarahumara, Aborigines, and others.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.