Most dangerous hike in Adirondacks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
Backpacker Magazine has published a list of the 10 most dangerous hikes in America. None are in the Adirondacks. But what's your candidate for the hairiest hike in the Adirondack Park?

Click here for more info (and my opinion).

Backpacker Magazine has published a list of the 10 most dangerous hikes in America. None are in the Adirondacks. But what's your candidate for the hairiest hike in the Adirondack Park?

Trap Dike came immediately to mind, but I dismissed it because it's really a climb, not a hike - YMMV.

The ADK's have several hikes that aren't on trails, per se, so it's hard to say. Some folks are climbing slides, even the trap dike doesn't have a trail on it. Since many do climb the Trap Dike, I'd say that.

But crossing rivers after a lot of rain or maybe the trip over Iroquois to Shepard's Tooth & then to Marshall as someone was iquiring about, especially if you are not a great navigator.

Any hike is the most dangerous on a given day depending on who you are...where you are...when you are. Trying to rate something like this is based upon your own given experience. When a hiker totally defaults and relies upon given media like this that is when it truely becomes dangerous.

Any hike is the most dangerous on a given day depending on who you are...where you are...when you are. Trying to rate something like this is based upon your own given experience. When a hiker totally defaults and relies upon given media like this that is when it truely becomes dangerous.
I will grant that there is an element of subjectivity in this. For instance, you may be fine hiking Marcy, but I'll bet there are more injuries and accidents there than any other ADK peak, mostly due to the sheer number of hikers. But does that really make it the most dangerous?

What can we objectively quantify about dangerous hikes? Most exposure? Steepest pitch? Consistently wettest? Most injuries? Most remote?

The steepest climb that I am aware of on a trail in the High Peaks is the Saddleback cliffs. It might also be the most exposed. However, I do not recall a lot of injuries there, primarily because it can be avoided. The other approach is much more gradual.

As to the issue of subjectivity - I've always found the Class 1 thru 5 system quite accurate in determining whether something is a hike or a climb. Class 1 & 2 are hikes, Class 3 and above are climbs.

Using a system like this removes much of the subjectivity. However, it seems that while this system is used extensively in the West, it's rarely used in the East.

Difficulty is not the issue. Any hike you are not properly prepared for is the most dangerious. Put that in Backpacker!

Trap Dike came immediately to mind, but I dismissed it because it's really a climb, not a hike - YMMV.
One problem with these questions ("which is the most difficult/dangerous/steep route in X?") is that the definition of X is somewhat arbitrary. Anything that is too difficult/dangerous/steep is not part of X so the answer is both subjective and dependent upon one's definition of X.

Doug

I am not sure of the exact route, but if you find yourself closing crossed bridges and leaving your pack in the col, you are livin' the danger lifestyle...

I am not sure of the exact route, but if you find yourself closing crossed bridges and leaving your pack in the col, you are livin' the danger lifestyle...

But only if you are solo with an open leg fracture on the summit...or part way down. If it is the latter you would have a head start dragging yourself back to wherever your left your pack! OUCH! Life on the edge!

I am off to hike on a dangerous trail, dangerous for Molly so I will have to hang on tight so she doesn't go over the waterfall.
Me thinks DANGER is a relative word. The simplest of trails can pose a danger given the 'WRONG" set of conditions.

Last edited:
This one was pretty dangerous.

By the looks of the perpetrator's mug shot it looks as if he may have been enjoying his alleged possesion of Schedule II drugs before comitting the alleged acts. Lesson to be learned: "Hikers whom seem to be having to good a time could be dangerous". Seems to me that could make almost any hike dangerous.

By the looks of the perpetrator's mug shot it looks as if he may have been enjoying his alleged possesion of Schedule II drugs before comitting the alleged acts. Lesson to be learned: "Hikers whom seem to be having to good a time could be dangerous". Seems to me that could make almost any hike dangerous.

Isn't that the truth! :eek: