Owl's Head Coordinates (via Black Pond)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
I found a lot of numbers when searching the web, some on this site, but there were some inaccuracies/discrepancies. Thus, here are the coordinates I recorded on my 16.11 mile Owl's Head hike yesterday:

• Lincoln Woods Trailhead: N 44°03'55.8" by W 071°035'16.0"
  • Black Pond Trailhead: N 44°05'54.5" by W 071°034'34.3"
  • BP Whack South: N 44°06'24.3" by W 071°034'57.3"
  • BP Whack North: N 44°07'08.8" by W 071°035'12.4"
  • Owl's Head Path: N 44°08'16.2" by W 071°036'56.7"
  • Old Owl's Head Summit: N 44°08'33.0" by W 071°036'20.8"
  • Current Owl's Head Summit: N 44°08'39.7" by W 071°036'17.7"

I figured this might be helpful to someone.

Last edited:
I found a lot of numbers when searching the web, some on this site, but there were some inaccuracies/discrepancies. Thus, here are the coordinates I recorded on my 16.11 mile Owl's Head hike yesterday:

• Lincoln Woods Trailhead: N 44°03'55.8" by W 071°035'16.0"
  • Black Pond Trailhead: N 44°05'54.5" by W 071°034'34.3"
  • BP Whack South: N 44°06'24.3" by W 071°034'57.3"
  • BP Whack North: N 44°07'08.8" by W 071°035'12.4"
  • Owl's Head Path: N 44°08'16.2" by W 071°036'56.7"
  • Old Owl's Head Summit: N 44°08'33.0" by W 071°036'20.8"
  • Current Owl's Head Summit: N 44°08'39.7" by W 071°036'17.7"

I figured this might be helpful to someone.

Nice list of coordinates. Thanks.

When you took the waypoint for BP Whack North, were you on the Lincoln Brook trail where it runs south of Lincoln Brook, or was the trail still on the other side (north side) of Lincoln Brook? I plotted this point on my map and it looks like at this point, the trail has not yet crossed over to the south side of Lincoln Brook.

Nice list of coordinates. Thanks.

When you took the waypoint for BP Whack North, were you on the Lincoln Brook trail where it runs south of Lincoln Brook, or was the trail still on the other side (north side) of Lincoln Brook? I plotted this point on my map and it looks like at this point, the trail has not yet crossed over to the south side of Lincoln Brook.

I agree that asking NH Tramper if he remmebers where he was when he took the way point is the only way to be sure.

Trying to match a GPS track and/or GPS waypoints to an indicated trail on a topo map is tricksey.

For example, look at the NHF&G GPS track vs the indicated trails on these topos maps.

http://www.wildnh.com/maps/topo.html

Personally, I prefer to have a compass bearing when doing a whack...but having a GPS coordinate can help give some a target. I seem to have much more successful off trail ventures using the map and compass.

Personally, I prefer to have a compass bearing when doing a whack...but having a GPS coordinate can help give some a target. I seem to have much more successful off trail ventures using the map and compass.

340 deg based on true north from where the herdpath from Black Pond dies out. It doesn't really matter since you have to hit the Lincoln Brook trail. Coming back, 160 deg of course, but it can be a little tricky knowing when to leave the trail.

If you drift too far east, you'll hit the brook before you hit the Lincoln Brook Trail. However, there is a fisherman's path along there, so just turn left and you should eventually pop out where the trail crosses to your (west) side of the brook.

Yeah, serioiusly... just sayin'

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry I didn't notice this thread had questions. The notification system on the site seems broken at times. I know exactly where I was when I marked the waypoints (I don't mark coordinates without knowing where I am). I have no cartography in my GPS so visually I don't know what the numbers look like on a map. I would say you're going to have some variation/deviation. If you head too far east on the way in the river will make you correct your route. On the way out err slightly to the east if you have to.

The coordinates taken for BW North were at the common BW "trailhead" which is in a little clearing next to the trail literally right next to the river, just west of the normal trail crossing, within yards. Personally when I went in I used a compass and map for the walk in. As it was I hit the other end almost perfectly despite losing the middle. Following the contours in addition to the compass make this easy. I did that because the trail is a big target to hit and it's hard to get it wrong on the way in. I wanted the numbers for three reasons:

1) To make it easier when exiting since I had to hit Black Pond itself (the tiny waypoint on the exit is less forgiving, miss it and the BW will be extended all the way to Lincoln Woods Trail adding at least another .9 miles to the 'whack).

2) In case others wanted to use them (use is optional, if not into using them, close your eyes, ignore thread, hold breath, etc.).

3) For my use at another time if I want to use them (again, mainly just for the exit).

Thank you MichaelJ, Tom_Murphy, Irishskier, and JoeCedar, your responses to Mark were practical, helpful, and well reasoned.

Last edited:
Thanks

NHT,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still not sure if I will stick with the trails or try the Black Pond bushwhack. I'm having trouble gathering interested partners for this particular hike, so I may be solo. I will probably throw the waypoints into my GPS and make a decision on the trail. I will certainly have a map and compass and will probably use those first if I try the whack. I like to have the waypoints stored just in case. I can see where the southern waypoint near Black Pond would be most useful on the way out.

I completely concur with your 3 reasons for tracking the data. I do the same thing, downloading tracks and waypoints off my GPS when I get home in case I ever want to use them in the future. (Often the GPS never comes out of my pack during the hike.) Hopefully, I will get to this hike some time soon.

Thanks again.

Mark

Mark and Mike,

There have been many variations of the Black Pond Bushwhack over time and also threads on the forums regarding their location and heading. A set of coordinates is a location, not deemed "the location" because of the nature of it being a bushwhack.

I don't travel by electronic bearing yet by preference. I can tell your bearing follows a lower path because of where you come out on the north end. In some seasons, most in my own opinion, it is better to be up nearer the 2000 foot contour. My own course uses map, compass and an analog altimeter. The use of the altimeter was an idea I wisely adopted from one of the folks most familiar with these trails and peaks. I also hike a dog-leg and not a straight bearing. I found my own route after following another that was quite high but still traveling on side hills and so I chose to run up even higher where it is somewhat level. My travel up a ridge Northwest is the dog-leg and up there is a very old unused fire ring of rocks if your traveling on the ground, from here a bearing past glacial erratics along the 2000 foot and a small side step east to avoid the spruces on the Lincoln Brook end. This route has very little swamp walking, is much more open, has less of the ups and downs, and is the earliest area bare of snow and slush in the spring.

Half way across you may spot one of my favorite boulders I call the Bear Cave.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2711538070103244848dmjhef

Down around 1800 to 1900 you hit some boulders but not as nice as this one!

Nice that Mike shared his locations but again, its a whack! Happy trails and trail-less hikes!;)

Dave

That picture doesn't do the boulder justice. It's the size of a small hotel. :D Good info Dave.