Moosilauke question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
What's the prettiest trail(s) up and down Mt Moosilauke?
This will be my first time visiting this mountain and I want
to hit all the nicest spots (brooks, falls, views, etc) on my way
to/from the summit. Not in a rush, don't care about fastest
or easiest route, just the prettiest. I can't find my Bible (White
Mountain Guide). Thanks.

And I'll be solo, so I can't do a traverse. I have to end up
at or close to where I start, or at least a reasonable hitch-
hiking distance.

Last edited:
When I did Moosilauke I really enjoyed a loop from Glencliff: Glencliff Trail to Carriage Road to summit, then back down Carriage Road to Hurricane Trail (over Hurricane Mtn.) and back to Glencliff Trail and my truck. It was a snowy day, but quite beautiful. I didn't get much in terms of views or water features that I recall, but it was a nice loop I thought.

IMO, no trip to Moosilauke would be complete without visiting the Ravine Lodge, so I'd start there and go up Gorge, down Carriage Road (stopping at South Peak) to Snapper. You can use either of those routes in combination with Asquam Ridge for a longer loop with a nice ridge walk.

If you have to pick one, I'd do Gorge and Snapper. I often do. :)

Hmm, it is all relative to what you think is scenic. I do have to agree that doing the Gorge Brook, Carriage Rd, to South Peak, then down to Snapper and back to the Ravine Lodge is a pretty classic way of hiking it, and possibly has the most variety of scenery along the way. But a close second for me is definitely the Benton trail. Its a far quieter way, with a fantastic view of Tunnel Ravine halfway up. Though I'm pretty sure the road to the Benton trail is closed, so that might be a no go unless you are all about walking. the road.

Another nice loop is up Glencliff / Carriage Road (over both summits), down Benton and loop back via Tunnel Ravine. Lots of above treeline and ponds, no waterfalls, though.

I like going directly up Gorge Brook but then coming down around Asquam Ridge. There are fantastic views into the ravine and the woods are lovely.

Tunnel Brook Road is closed due to Irene damage approximately 1-1/2 miles before the Benton trailhead.

IMO, no trip to Moosilauke would be complete without visiting the Ravine Lodge, so I'd start there and go up Gorge, down Carriage Road (stopping at South Peak) to Snapper. You can use either of those routes in combination with Asquam Ridge for a longer loop with a nice ridge walk.

If you have to pick one, I'd do Gorge and Snapper. I often do. :)

Hit the Lodge up for family-style dinner after your hik. It's a hoot. The food is good too!

Hit the Lodge up for family-style dinner after your hik. It's a hoot. The food is good too!

It was my understanding that the Ravine Lodge is exclusive to Dartmouth. Is it open to the public for meals?

Except when it is reserved for an exclusive event it is open to the general public, for meals and lodging.
Thanks, Dave. Before I posted I looked at the Dartmouth website, and it gives the impression (at least to me) that their services are available only to students and alum.

Liberty for all

Thanks, Dave. Before I posted I looked at the Dartmouth website, and it gives the impression (at least to me) that their services are available only to students and alum.

The only standing reservation is the first two weeks of September for use as part of Freshman orientation. Always call ahead for the latest information.

From http://www.dartmouth.edu/~doc/moosilauke/ravinelodge/

The Lodge isn’t just for the Dartmouth community — local residents, hikers, and visitors to the area are all welcome to stay for a night, a week, or just come up for dinner. The Lodge is a great place to just get away and put your feet up.

I like going directly up Gorge Brook but then coming down around Asquam Ridge. There are fantastic views into the ravine and the woods are lovely.

I agree with this one as well. Its a great "mellow" trek to the summit, as long as aren't against hiking the approx 5.7 mi distance it takes to make it to the top. Still, going down Gorge Brook or the Carriage Rd to Snapper is below 10 miles roundtrip if you are concerned about distance.

up Gorge, down Carriage Road (stopping at South Peak) to Snapper. You can use either of those routes in combination with Asquam Ridge for a longer loop with a nice ridge walk.

I share Dave's idea, and MichealJ's. Just did the same trip last week (the up Gorge, down Asquam Ridge one).

Beaver Brook in the winter, for sure. Lovely. And sledding down is a blast.

Last edited:
Beaver Brook Trail is my go-to on Moosilauke. Looping from the Ravine Lodge is my second choice, partially just for the historicity of it. I don't care for Glenclif myself, except for the view from the South Summit, but you can get that from starting at the Ravine Lodge and taking a loop with the carriage road (and Hurricane Trail?). The cascades and steeps of Beaver Brook, though, is my favorite stretch of trail on Moosilauke (and I think I've done every mile of trail on the mtn).

Thanks for all the tips. Went up Gorge Brook and down Asquam Ridge. The great stretch of not-too-hot, not-too-humid weather this past week was gone by Friday July 13th. Still a nice day, but the skies were a bit hazy. Could've been a 100-mile-views kind of a day if not for the milky horizons. The rock work on the upper part of the Gorge Brook Trail is excellent. Wow, that is one huge summit area. My expectations of the Beaver Brook -to- Asquam Ridge descent route were too high. I was disappointed in the lack of views. There were some through-the-trees views into the ravine and back to the summit, but not what I had been hoping for. The lodge was closed to the public, reserved for a private party.

Last edited:
I see nobody mentioning Benton, which was a wonderful trail until Irene came to visit last fall. Do we forget about that nice trail or try to find someway to bring it back to us. What can we do?

Benton is fine, it just means an extra mile and a half road walk each way on Tunnel Brook Road.