20 Mile Katahdin dayhike 7.20.12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
I've been wanting to hike the Northwest Basin area for a long time. I'd stay at Davis Pond but the glorious rules at BSP require you stay at least one night at another campsite in the park. This makes for short days and lots of money. After looking at the maps I found that I could do it in a day and go over Katahdin via the Knife Edge in a long loop of just over 20 miles. The weather looked primo for Friday and I had off so I through my pack together and decided to go.
My route followed these trails: Helon Taylor-Knife Edge-Saddle-quick jaunt to Hamlin-Northwest Basin-Russel Pond-finish Roaring Brook.

It was a chilly start and a little breezy going up Helon and across Knife Edge. Clear except for a little fog hugging Hamlin Ridge. I made it to Katahdin with on a duo there and a lone hiker arriving not too long after me. I didn't linger too long maybe 20 mins and a quick snack. Hike to Caribou Spr was beautiful with nearly endless visiblilty. I dropped my pack and trotted over to Hamlin even though I was there 3 times in the past but it was only .2 miles from here. I continued now on NW Basin Trail. I never been to this area but it's very unique. I've been above treeline since part way up Helon. But this stretch is very flat and it doesn't feel like your at elevation except for surrounding peaks are lower towards Brothers, Doubletop, Owl, and beyond. Approaching NW Plateau it is very flat. Drop into basin is pretty with its sheer wall.
A quick stop at DAvis Pond Lean to I had a snack and continued. I've been all over New England and this felt just about as remote as anywhere in the east. The last few miles to Russel Pond were flat and smooth allowing me to trot to gain some time. From Russel Pond to Roaring Brook the trail is in forest with few partial views but relatively easy hiking. The view from Whidden Pond is gorgeous.
I saw 3 groups near trailhead. two groups on Katahdin. One pair climbing out of NW basin, and 3 groups along length of Russel Pond Trail. I think with Hamlin total trip was right around 21 miles.

Katahdin.NorthwestBasin7.20.12 007.jpg Fog over Hamlin Ridge
Katahdin.NorthwestBasin7.20.12 037.jpg Looking back at Katahdin on NW Plateau
Katahdin.NorthwestBasin7.20.12 040.jpg Heading into NW Basin
Katahdin.NorthwestBasin7.20.12 047.jpg Davis Pond
Katahdin.NorthwestBasin7.20.12 054.jpg Whidden Pond

One very ambitious hike. Great pictures. I have stayed at Davis a couple of times and when the weather is good its hard to beat. But when the weather is bad, the run from Davis to Chimney is something that I wouldnt look forward to. One of these days I need to get back to see if I can find the herd path to Klondike Pond, I have looked for it twice but I havent seen it yet.

I'm pretty sure you've figured out...

... your loop was about 23 miles! You didn't say how long it took you - sun-up to sun-down?

I started about 550 AM. I hiked at my normal pace all the way to Wassataqoik Str. with the exception of my short diversion to Hamlin which I dropped my pack and trotted up and back the .4 mile Round trip. I have a fast "normal pace" and my speed doesn't change much up hill. Beyond the stream, the trail was pretty level and very smooth at many spots. On this stretch I trotted to make up time. There wasn't much scenery in this area in the solid woods. By the time I reached Russell Pond, I was starting to feel it. From Russell Pond to Roaring Brook I trotted on the flats but it was rockier and not as easy to trot with fatigue setting in on the rockier sections and the more rolling trail. I still managed to get back to Roaring Brook and finish my loop just a few minutes after 130 PM. I suprised myself with that time. I stopped for about 20 minutes on Katahdin summit. Periodically to take photos on Knife Edge, snack at Davis Pond, a stop to rewater along Russel Pond Trail, and a few minutes admiring Whidden Pond views. It was a relatively flat hike though apart from the Helon-Davis Pond part.

nice tomcat

how much longer did this take you vs. the standard roaring brook up helon to knife edge to hamlin and back down to roaring brook loop? Impressive hike, way to get after it!