Maine NEHH Six Pack plus Elephant, 8/11/12 - 8/14/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first half dozen or so should be doable in most vehicles, and there is a landing / parking area off the road before the next batch. I got out of the car for several of them, but remained in the car for the descent as we had found a route through each. A low-clearance vehicle will have trouble and you may be forced to walk for 2 additional miles each way.

I had no difficulty driving my low-clearance Honda Civic up to the farthest landing on East Kennebago on 7/13/13. The water bars were mellower than I'd expected. On the descent I gently scraped the undercarriage several times, but the bars are all soft gravel, so at slow speed they won't cause any damage.

Re. North Kennebago Divide, the blue tape in the col is gone.

Last edited:
Ate breakfast once at The Looney Moose (formerly Mainely Yours), and dinner once at Tufulios . Otherwise, we cooked/ate at the Spillover.

Is the velvet Elvis still hanging on the wall at Mainely Yours, now the Looney Moose?

I don't remember, Kevin... I don't recall it there either time I was up there (2010 and 2012). I am glad to hear that the road is passable -- I may just be ultra cautious with my vehicle - with the higher clearance on the Subaru, I think we scraped once. I remember someone else bailing because of these and reporting someone was coming down with a truck without problems.

Tim

I think that many people significantly underestimate their car's capabilities & toughness. I don't know if it's from growing up driving backwoods roads in Vermont, or riding along with or seeing people drive up roads that I once considered all but impassable, but I've had no trouble with the access to CVR, Boundary, White Cap, East Kennebago, etc. That said, it does require driving *slowly* when appropriate & finding the right line. I think one of the biggest dangers to cars are the solitary rocks sticking up in the middle of roads like CVR, and overestimating your clearance of them. Like driving in snow, speed makes all the difference.

P.s. Great trip report, Tim. With a little aid from your & Damselfly's TRs, it was relatively easy to bag the six-pack this weekend. Cup Snow, White Cap, North Kennebago Divide, & East Kennebago on Saturday. Snow COP & Boundary yesterday.

Last edited:
Tim:
Great posting I will be using your 2012 posts as a guideline for these. I’m planning on doing a few of these before any significant snow arrives. Are the GPS traces for these hikes accessible anywhere. I have some tracks from wikiloc but would like options. It will probably take me three over nights to do these seven. Does anyone know of any recent changes to the roads Tim used?