historic fire "tower" on Katahdin?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umsaskis

Reaction score
I was reading through this website (http://www.firelookout.org/towers/me/hiltonlegacy/page2.htm) on Maine firetowers and saw a listing of a "ground house" type fire lookout on a ledge on Katahdin, built in 1913 and abandoned in 1920 due to severe weather. I can't find any other information about it. Has anyone ever heard of this, or know where there may be some pictures? It is fascinating to think of any structure having been on Katahdin.

Peakbagger is correct, from "Legacy of a Lifetime: The Story of Baxter State Park" Dr. John W. Hakola 1981.

"In 1913 a cabin was built by Frank Sewall, who also served as the watchman, on the south side of Katahdin, at the terrace on Abol Slide where hikers had often camped en route to the summit. The cabin was often used by hikers. Because of its location, which allowed a view only in certain directions and was in an area of much fog and clouds, the lookout was abandoned in 1920, though the cabin was used by hikers for several more years before it collapsed. A tower was erected on Doubletop, also in 1913,..."

Sources cited in "Legacy..", Forest Protection and Conservation in Maine Maine Forest Servive 1919, and Ten Million Acres of Timber: The Remarkable Story of Forest Protection in the Maine Forestry District Austin H. Wilkins 1978.

No picture in Legacy.

Last edited:
I have seen references on one of the hiking forums that a few folks have attempted to locate the actual site of the cabin but dont know if any one has been successful.

There was also a private cabin hihg up on the on the Hunt Trail just below treeline long ago that was used by a sporting camp to house guests. This was when access to the mountain from the west was from somewhere in the area of the current abol bridge (long before BSP or the Golden Road).

Interesting thread. I was just up on Abol this summer looking for some of these sites.

Yes, there was indeed a fire lookout station on Katahdin operating from 1913 until the end of the 1919 fire season. As described above, Frank Sewall was the watchman during these years. The Sewall Camp or Cabin, which is what it was referred to during the time and after 1919, was the watchman's camp for the station. It was built on an outcrop of rock that created a ledge or terrace on the south side of the Abol slide.

sewall-cabin-sm.jpg

The Sewall Camp circa 1918.

The other structure that was built just below the Sewall camp around 1901/1902 was the Garland Camp. It was just off the Abol slide on the north side. This was an outcamp for the Debsconeag Outing Camps, also known then as the highest elevation sporting camp in Maine.

garland-camps.jpg

The Garland Camp

The 1930 Katahdin topo gives some perspective on where they were located. Notice the new and old Abol trails are both listed. There was also a 3rd lower spur that is not shown there.

kata30nw-detail.jpg

1930 Katahdin Topo cutout

This past summer, I searched around a bit for some of these sites. The Garland camp site may still be visible. I did find some old camp artifacts in the approximate location, but I am not sure it was the precise location. The Sewall camp site was a bit more elusive. At the appoximate location, there is what looks like a terrace or ledge that is socked in with tight spruce. I didn't spend too much time looking to verify. The exact location has been documented at many different locations and elevations. I have 3 or 4 different locations and 3 seperate maps that show it in different places. It will take several hours or snooping around these areas to find it for sure.

The actual fire lookout was not a groundhouse or tower, it was a simple log platform built out on the slide just out from the camp. I do have one photo that I suspect is the lookout platform, but I have not confirmed it yet. These sites are definately intriguing and are worth a look if you like locating old Maine artifacts like I do.

Bill