Mt. Carrigain via Signal Ridge Trail - 10/24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Oct. 24, 2012

Trail Conditions: Normal fall conditions as there were lots of leaves on the Signal Ridge Trail making it slippery in places. Moreover, the leaves mask roots and rocks so use caution. There was one large blowdown but it's an easy over. I removed what I could elsewhere. There is lots of trail work going on: A new relocated entrance (now west of the Whiteface River); a nice new log bridged by-pass upstream on Carrigain Brook (the final crossing over the marshy part is no longer); bog bridges going in on what used to be a sometimes particularly bad muddy, wet section. Overall these are great improvements. One section might be hard to follow if one is not paying attention due to the leaves and sameness of the particular stretch of woods near the new by-pass section, before the new ridge switchback. I think blazes are still being added. I suspect the detour might make the trail slightly longer (~.3-.5), but Sawyer River Road is open so overall it's shorter than ever. The trail was muddy and wet in places but it wasn't too bad. No ice or snow yet. The old second crossing is still there, but today, especially thanks to trekking poles, it was easy to negotiate via log and rock hops.

Special Equipment Used: Aside from my poles, none yet. I brought Crocs for the crossing but they weren't needed, but it could still be a concern if the water is higher.

Other: Bugs, none; foliage, mostly on the ground but still some nice color here and there. Again, no ice or snow yet.

Comments: Unlike last time, in the rain and fog, it was a perfect, gorgeous day. I hiked this one solo and I had the mountain to myself seeing no one all day. That doesn't happen much. I haven't posted in a couple of weeks but I was taking a WFR course at Solo, so I wasn't slacking. I'm back :-/

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH

Last edited: