Winter Boot Recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffAm1

Reaction score
Hi I am searching for a good, solid, warm winter hiking boot that stays truly dry all day long along with excellent comfort. My 3 season Keen's work great for all but the snowiest treks, just need something heartier that I can use with snowshoes, etc. throughout the winter.
Thanks in-advance for any/all suggestions and Merry Christmas!

Get some $175-$225 MSRP Asolo boots with gore-tex and then get a pair of the $22 smartwool mountaineering socks. I've used this combo down to -10 degrees with no problem.

Check sierratradingpost.org for great deals (tip: sign up for their email service and you'll get 20-35% off coupons all the time).

I doubt that anyone except you can determine which boots have excellent comfort when mounted on your feet. You need to try some until you find which ones fit best, then decide.

Get some $175-$225 MSRP Asolo boots with gore-tex and then get a pair of the $22 smartwool mountaineering socks. I've used this combo down to -10 degrees with no problem.

I will second the advice about the socks. Almost equally inportant IMO.

Hi I am searching for a good, solid, warm winter hiking boot that stays truly dry all day long along with excellent comfort. My 3 season Keen's work great for all but the snowiest treks, just need something heartier that I can use with snowshoes, etc. throughout the winter.
Thanks in-advance for any/all suggestions and Merry Christmas!

Not sure which Keen 3-season boot you're referring to. I have a pair of Keen Summit County winter boots that I've worn for a couple of seasons. They work great with all manner of spikes (microspikes, Hillsound TCPs) and snowshoes. This inside of the boot says "-35F", and they've certainly kept me warm. If you like the fit & feel of Keen boots (these have a really nice wide toe box compared to my other boots), then they deserve a look.

Wore them yesterday 1st time this season...swear my them. Within 1 hr they were comfortable as slippers. Insulated to -35.
Upgraded this years because of new bigger orthotics. I have horrible feet so for me comfort is difficult to come by.
http://www.zappos.com/garmont-momen..._id=ULI9pQAAWngcnBM8:20121227143909:s#prdInfo

IMG_1530_zps38a0692a.jpg

Wore them yesterday 1st time this season...swear my them. Within 1 hr they were comfortable as slippers. Insulated to -35.
Upgraded this years because of new bigger orthotics. I have horrible feet so for me comfort is difficult to come by.
http://www.zappos.com/garmont-momen..._id=ULI9pQAAWngcnBM8:20121227143909:s#prdInfo

IMG_1530_zps38a0692a.jpg
I love mine. Just bought them a couple of weeks ago. Wore them locally for 2 weeks and then had them on for my Kinsman's hike. They are very comfortable and light. Took them out for a heavy slush hike for about 1.5 hours and they were dry inside throughout the time frame. I am happy. They are plenty warm enough, light weight and comfortable.

My current winter boot of choice is the LL Bean Wildcat. Much lighter and less bulky than my old felts. And warm enough!

In preparing for a hike in Vermont tomorrow, I discovered that my 18-year-old, hard-used LLBean Nor'Easters have finally bitten the dust. They've been threatening to do so for a few years now. The sole finally separated. So I'm going to duct-tape them for tomorrow, and I'm hoping that a quick order of the Wildcat Pro boots from Bean will be a similar enough replacement and get here in time for my next hike. I wish I had more time to research this. But I'd appreciate anyone affirming my choice of the Wildcat Pro? I like the boot to be useable for fall hunting as well as winter hiking. Alas, they don't make the Nor'Easter anymore, and I am 100 percent sure there never was a better boot.

In preparing for a hike in Vermont tomorrow, I discovered that my 18-year-old, hard-used LLBean Nor'Easters have finally bitten the dust. They've been threatening to do so for a few years now. The sole finally separated. So I'm going to duct-tape them for tomorrow, and I'm hoping that a quick order of the Wildcat Pro boots from Bean will be a similar enough replacement and get here in time for my next hike. I wish I had more time to research this. But I'd appreciate anyone affirming my choice of the Wildcat Pro? I like the boot to be useable for fall hunting as well as winter hiking. Alas, they don't make the Nor'Easter anymore, and I am 100 percent sure there never was a better boot.

Well, for what it's worth, I like the Wildcat lace up version. I think you will be satisfied with your choice.

Three cheers for duct tape and plastic shoping bags! The bags were held in place by my gaiters and snowshoe bindings, all of which held the duct tape in place. My feet were the driest part of me all day. Still hoping the new boots come soon, though.