Parking near Stratton Pond in winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthook

Reaction score
I'm planning on spending the weekend at Stratton Pond in a couple weeks, so I probably should have asked this earlier, but does anyone know how far into the Stratton-Arlington Road you can get in winter? I'd take either the Catamount Trail or the Stratton Pond Trail into the pond. I'm guessing the parking at the LT/AT crossing would be the most likely to be open, unless it's not even plowed that far. Hmm...

The road is typically plowed as far as the AT/LT crossing. I can't say what the situation is right now but that's what I usually find. If you want to take the Stratton Pond Trail you can eliminate a bit of the road walk to the summer trailhead by following a logging road that leaves to the right a bit of a ways past the limit of plowing. I posted a map attached as a reply to this thread: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...proach-access-to-the-LT&highlight=kelly+stand

Alternatively the IP road can save you having to climb Stratton via the AT/LT. You merely follow the road north and rejoin the AT/LT where it crosses just shy of the pond. Together with the S.P. trail variation I mention above it makes a good loop on skis.

The road is typically plowed as far as the AT/LT crossing. I can't say what the situation is right now but that's what I usually find. If you want to take the Stratton Pond Trail you can eliminate a bit of the road walk to the summer trailhead by following a logging road that leaves to the right a bit of a ways past the limit of plowing. I posted a map attached as a reply to this thread: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...proach-access-to-the-LT&highlight=kelly+stand

Alternatively the IP road can save you having to climb Stratton via the AT/LT. You merely follow the road north and rejoin the AT/LT where it crosses just shy of the pond. Together with the S.P. trail variation I mention above it makes a good loop on skis.

That sounds perfect to me. Thanks for the info, bcskier. In the past, I have made a loop hike (in warmer months) by parking at the AT/LT crossing, heading AT North over Stratton Mountain and to Stratton Pond, then back to the road by the Stratton Pond Trail. It's only a half mile or so on the road from the SP Trail to the AT/LT, so parking at the AT/LT crossing and just walking the road to the SP trailhead wouldn't be so bad in winter, I think. And, if I remember right, isn't the logging road west of the AT/LT crossing the Catamount Trail? That would definitely be a good route to the Pond, since the Catamount Trail connects with the Stratton Pond Trail about halfway in.

Please let us know how it goes. I love that area and have hiked there many times all four seasons. It's a quick easy day trip from where I live or overnight as well. Grout has those nice lean-tos also. :)

Kelly Stand Road (Arlington Stratton Road) is usually plowed from the Stratton side, not the Arlington side in winter to the AT/LT crossing. Easiest route to
Stratton pond is following the Catamount Trail blazes.

And, if I remember right, isn't the logging road west of the AT/LT crossing the Catamount Trail? That would definitely be a good route to the Pond, since the Catamount Trail connects with the Stratton Pond Trail about halfway in.

Checking my Catamount Trail Guidebook (2003 ed.) Yes, you are correct. Also indicated in the book is the fact that the Kelly Stand Rd. is UNplowed from the Grout Pond parking area to the AT/LT crossing and beyond. That's not my recollection but it's been a while since I've driven out there in the winter, so your loop (if you intend to make it) might actually be less walking and more skiing (the guidebook shows a snowmobile connector with the IP road right from that parking area).

Last edited:
I was there last winter and it was unplowed from Grout pond to the AT/LT crossing, but perhaps they had not gotten to that section yet.

I guess I'll just wing it and let you all know what I find. Luckily, day one of the weekend will just be getting into the pond, which maybe be a bit of distance, but at least it's flat as a board.

I went to the mountain today, and the road was definitely plowed out all the way to the AT/LT crossing. A pretty popular trailhead today, too... gorgeous day, great trail.

I was there last winter and it was unplowed from Grout pond to the AT/LT crossing, but perhaps they had not gotten to that section yet.

Used to be a regular destination for me up to about '07. Often up to Grout Pond plowed on first pass, up to LT/AT on clean-up and wing back runs.