Wildcat D and A - SUNDAY - 1/13/13 via Ski Area ($10 trail fee applies)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Meet in the Wildcat main parking lot for 7:45AM. Gear up, ready to go by 8AM. Buy the required pass for $10 when the ticket window opens, (at 8) and immediately head up to D, over to A, and back to D. My GPS recorded 8 miles and 3450 feet last winter. It will be warmer than average, and it may rain. The snow will be soft. You must wear snowshoes on the ski trails. I expect to wear mine the entire trip. We may cut through the woods to avoid re-climbing D peak. I anticipate returning to the cars by 1:30.

Go early, go fast, get home in time to watch the Patriots.

Let me know if you want to join us, so we know to look for you. I have no idea how crowded it will be. I know there is the main lot, and the main building, and then a bridge over the river to get to the lifts. We'll be heading up Straycat/Polecat which is over to the far left below the triple near the C lot. If you are definitely coming, bring a $10 bill with you and whoever is ready first can go wait and buy tickets.

Tim

FWIW - have seen reports that the 19MBT approach is now open. Damage from Sandy between the hut and the peak has either been cut or is negotiable.

after much cutting by several groups of many blowdown nests for sure the ascent from the Notch is open..was there a couple of weeks ago and friends there last weekend. The amount of blowdowns on the Carter Notch side is incredible...thankfully most off trail but there are some bigs ones to deal with. IMO easiest way to grab these peaks in winter is ski area out and back tho..

Thanks for the beta. 8 miles via ski area, 14 out and back from 19MBT, and the Pats are on at 4:30, plus the drive is nearly 5 hours RT from southern NH... worth the $10.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for orchestrating this outing. I was wondering about another option for taking on the Cats without having the 19mb option or dealing with possibly dangerous ledges. This sounds great. Do you think crampons would be necessary for the ridge? I was planning on using my MSRs and bringing microspikes as well. I just need to move a few things around before I can commit 100% but this sounds like a great day!

Z

This hike sounds very enticing, especially being able to get back to watch the Pats. Unfortunately a friend of mine has been bugging me to ski at Pico with him tomorrow. I told him we could hike Wildcat and ski down but he had no interest. He's not a "hiker". If plans fall through I will let you know. I will also be interested to see where you cut through the woods to avoid reclimbing D Pk. Have fun and GO PATRIOTS!

So my friend has bailed on skiing. I will see you in the am. Any idea where you might try to park? Left, right, front or back of main lot?

Generally, they "park" you in whatever order they feel like so as to fill up the lot... so you might not have much choice. We can meet right near the ticket window, or just over the bridge over the river behind the building, but before the lifts.

Tim

734666_515062415183679_421868919_n.jpg

SummitSeeker, BernerBabe, Peter, BikeHikeSkiFish, IQuest on the D-peak platform.

Tim

Last edited: