Hillsound Trail crampons vs. Kahtoola micro spikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
I destroyed one of my Hillsounds today. It's the second time in a couple of years. I stopped by EMS in Conway on the way home to see about a replacement. One of the workers there said that while the Hillsounds are more aggressive, the feeling at the store there is that the Hillsounds are not holding up as well as the Kahtoola micro spikes. I was wondering if there are any opinions out there on this.

This is my second year on my Hillsounds and I have had no problems. I hike 2-3 times a week, often on Mt Monadnock, where there has been a lot of exposed rock and ice above 3/4 mark the last couple years. A real test, in my opinion. All my hiking friends have also switched over and no one has had any problem. I used microspikes for several years before and although I knew many who broke straps I never had any problems with breakage, just dulling quickly and lacking enough gripping power. One thing I notice a lot is people don't ensure that the microspike or hillsound is placed on the foot correctly. I make sure unit is centered on the foot, all the chains are tight and symmetrical on the boot. If the toe of the traction devise begins to drift off center I take the time to readjust it before the elastomeric bands begin to stretch too the extreme. What broke on yours and where are the problem areas you have heard of? I'd like to keep any eye out. I do always carry a spare pair or crampons, just in case.

Good post, Kerry. I've had MSs since they came out and use them in a lot of mixed rock and light ice.
I also have Kahtoola's ss crampons which I carry for as a lighter and quicker to put on substitute for my old boot crampons.

I also have Kahtoola's ss crampons which I carry for as a lighter and quicker to put on substitute for my old boot crampons.

I saw this and said to myself "What?...Kahtoola is making stainless steel crampon AND I DON'T HAVE A PAIR?"

I then googled "SS Kahtoola", which brings up various websites selling Kahtoola's "Stainless Steel" crampon. Oh joy, they exist!

Except they don't. Only the connector bar is made from stainless steel, the body of the crampon is steel. Evidently some of the merchants selling them are mislabeling them, probably by mistake.

However, I did notice at their site that they do have a new addition to their lineup, the K10, a slightly less aggressive, slightly lighter version of the KTS with what looks like a quicker binding system:

K10 Crampons

Anyone try these out yet?

Good point, Tom. One thing, though. Stainless steel much harder to sharpen and keep sharp than regular steel? They are super light and once adusted at home you push in the toe of the boot, bring up the back part, click, and you're hiking.

Yes, that would most likely be true - I am not up to speed on the latest in stainless steel alloys, but I suspect that carbon steel probably keeps it's edge longer.

....but I would just but a pair if they were really SHINY. :)

You have the K10 model?

OK, just curious - I'm on my second pair of KTS - the first ones held up for a good three years of thrashing until the points got a bit too short to sharpen.
Looks like the K10 has 3/4" points instead of 1".

"the first ones held up for a good three years of thrashing until the points got a bit too short to sharpen"
...yeah, but you put on 'dog years' on your hiking equipment. Thats like 15 years of wear for 'normal' hikers. :eek:

This is my second year on my Hillsounds and I have had no problems. I hike 2-3 times a week, often on Mt Monadnock, where there has been a lot of exposed rock and ice above 3/4 mark the last couple years. A real test, in my opinion. All my hiking friends have also switched over and no one has had any problem. I used microspikes for several years before and although I knew many who broke straps I never had any problems with breakage, just dulling quickly and lacking enough gripping power. One thing I notice a lot is people don't ensure that the microspike or hillsound is placed on the foot correctly. I make sure unit is centered on the foot, all the chains are tight and symmetrical on the boot. If the toe of the traction devise begins to drift off center I take the time to readjust it before the elastomeric bands begin to stretch too the extreme. What broke on yours and where are the problem areas you have heard of? I'd like to keep any eye out. I do always carry a spare pair or crampons, just in case.

All four attachments at the rear of one broke. I was having a great deal of trouble with balling and that no doubt had something to do with it. I noticed one strap had broken and I pushed it a bit until I noticed others had broken too. Not sure if it matter a whole lot, with one broken I think I would have been looking to replace them anyway. They were actually replacements for an original pair that broke which they replaced under guarantee. These have gone about two winter seasons. Since the only receipt I have is the original one they are way over guarantee.

Since I hike with Lauky on a leash the Hillsounds are about the most aggressive spikes I feel I can safely use with him. If I were to step on his foot with anything more aggressive it could be lethal. My MSRs work because there is a fair sized protective edge around the crampon section.

I suspect that part of the problem is that my winter size 13 boots are fairly bulky. I'll probably try another pair of the largest size I can order.

Thanks all for you input.

Traction care?

I picked up a pair of Hillsound Trail Crampons this year and have used them a couple time and was wondering if folks that have used them (or similar traction devices) for a while could post any tips on taking care of them so they will last as long as possible - I've been rinsing them off with water when I get home, and letting them dry off where the water won't freeze... Overkill? Anything different that should be done?

Thanks,

TomK

I picked up a pair of Hillsound Trail Crampons this year and have used them a couple time and was wondering if folks that have used them (or similar traction devices) for a while could post any tips on taking care of them so they will last as long as possible - I've been rinsing them off with water when I get home, and letting them dry off where the water won't freeze... Overkill? Anything different that should be done?

The only thing I do is visually check the links and rubber connections. As I mentioned above my friends and I have not had any problems with the Hillsounds, however, with the microspikes we have had three instances where links from both boots locked together while walking. It is like someone ties your boots together in the middle of your stride. First time it happened we all had a good laugh and didn't think it could happen again in a million years. Then it happened to me last year and it happened to another friend this winter. If it happened on the microspikes I am sure it is going to happen with the Hillsounds. The constant tension on the links will gradually separate them so check them and squeeze them back together as soon as you notice the link ends separating. Also noticed that with the Hillsound plates there is a tendency for the links to slip over a spike or two when you are putting them on. It is difficult to tell when it happens other than looking at the bottom of your boot. It has happened to me a couple times but I caught it. This could impact the effectiveness of the crampon and also weaken the links or cause separation. Also look at the elastomeric/ link connections after you have put them on. If there is excessive stretching at the elastomeric connector probably means something is not aligned correctly or you have something kinking of links on the bottom.

Thanks,

TomK

You've had some good suggestions here about putting them on properly and getting them properly adjusted. One other thing I would suggest is that when you get above the treeline on a wind swept ridge avoid as much as possible walking on bare rock. That wears the points down fairly quickly. If you can safely pick your spots step on the ice and snow rather than the rock.

Last March, I remember trying to decide which made more sense - wearing Hillsounds and seeking snow and ice, or bare booting and seeking bare rock. It was a 50/50 proposition.

I have a bit of a beef with the Hillsounds - the XXL, which is the recommended size (by them) for size 13 boots absolutely swim on my boots. I changed them for an XL and they still move around too much. The XL Microspikes never budged.

Tim

I had a pair of Hillsounds break last year. I had switched to size 13 columbia winter boots and they were larger than my previous boots. It was obvious that the Hillsounds were borderline small and they failed at a couple of spots during a long hike with BIg Earl Sue and a few others. When I contacted them and told them when I bought them, the rep said "oh you have the original sizing". The sent me a new pair of XXLs and they fit perfectly on the Columbias but are large for my New Balances which are closer to a regular hiking boot. I think Ed may have the same issue. I have a pair of XL kahtoola that I switch over to for the new balances. Unlike smaller size boots a jump up in one size in size 12 and 13 boots results in a much larger boot so I think the sizing is more difficult. I do know that my XXL Hillsounds are definitely too big for the New Balances. The trade off is that in icy conditions I definitely loose some traction compared to the Hillsounds.

A general observations I have made before is that the rubbers tend to get damaged as much by pinching of the rubber between the side of the boot sole and a rock as they do by classic stretching. Loose microspikes tend to shift around and the rubber can end up in this location. The rubber should set on the boot above the edges of the sole of the boot by at least 1/2". If they are loose, the velcro strap across the top of the boot to hold the rubber up is nice add on by Hillsound. A strap like this could easily be set up for Kahtoolas. It also keep the chains tight and you cant walk out of them.

Peakbagger I think you're right on with your comments especially with regard to sizing. It's also a good observation about rocks. However, Saturday there were no exposed rocks so I would go with excessive stretching from large boots and also perhaps from the snow balling which may also have exacerbated the stretching. I think I had extra large and I have decided to try the XXL.

I really think there would be a market for some Hillsound or Katoola type mini crampons but with the Hillsound Pro type bindings. I know that would raise the cost but with less breakage I think it would cost less over the long haul and they would go on and off more easily also.

Didn't realize this thread was so old. Came to during a web search for hillsounds. I have to replace my microspikes (lost 1 last winter) and they are on sale this week at EMS. But what is the latest opinion of MS vs Hillsound Trail crampons? I have a pair of what Hillsound now calls their trail crampon pro which has longer spikes and than the MSs and has toe spikes which I carry as a backup for tougher ice (I have a 3 falls rule before I switch). But I have only switched up to them 2 or 3 times in four winters. Any suggestions of MS vs. Hillsounds trail crampons?

I definitely prefer my hillsound trail crampons to the Kahtoolas. I have to switch between the two frequently dependent on which boot I am wearing as the My Hillsounds are one size up. Its noticeable the Hillsound spikes grip ice far better than the Kahtoolas. I usually go right up ice with the Hillsounds while I try to avoid it with the Kahtoolas. The extra Velcro strap over the top of the boot also make a difference so I rigged up one on my Kahtoolas. Some claim the Hillsounds "ball" a bit more in wet snow but I find that the difference is pretty minute, if I have balling issues with the hillsounds, the kahtoolas usual have the same issue very soon.

Hillsound also make the "Free Step 6" which have smaller spikes than the "Trail Crampons", similar to the "MS". Also . They cost less.

Last edited: