Baxter Park Nesowadnehunk access in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
Hi, all- I just called Baxter inquiring about access this winter to Nesowadnehunk via Golden Road/Telos Road. They said they are "not encouraging people to park there anymore"- whatever that means. They would not say if the area is/isn't plowed in winter. Do any of you have any information on the traditional access out there currently? Many thanks.

We were up there a week ago and parked at the large parking area just before Abol Bridge, then took the trail east to the park road.

Are you talking about going NW beyond Abol Bridge toward Herrington Lake to Nesowadnehunk, north of Doubletop Mt? Golden road is a private road and maybe that is why they were not recommending it beyond Abol Bridge.

I think LL might be talking about Williams Pond Road, off of the Telos Road which is the short way to Nesowadnehunk. AFAIK, when a bunch of us went to Nes. we parked at the telos/Williams Pond Road intersection and skied/snowshoed in. The road itself wasn't plowed or anthing but it is shorter than coming all the way from Abol Bridge.....

The intersection was sort of plowed when we got there so were able to stash all our cars there... Not sure about current conditions, obviously the park would have better info than me :)

Jay

I think LL might be talking about Williams Pond Road, off of the Telos Road which is the short way to Nesowadnehunk. AFAIK, when a bunch of us went to Nes. we parked at the telos/Williams Pond Road intersection and skied/snowshoed in. The road itself wasn't plowed or anthing but it is shorter than coming all the way from Abol Bridge.....

The intersection was sort of plowed when we got there so were able to stash all our cars there... Not sure about current conditions, obviously the park would have better info than me :)

Jay

Jay- BINGO. The park person was pretty vague about it. I know people who have stayed in 'sowadnehunk in past years who parked there no problem but now the park is specifically recommending against it. I've only parked at Abol Bridge in winter before. Didn't know if anyone had more info on this.

Thanks to you both.

Here is an interesting online article about the Golden Road.

This is from Baxter's own winter brochure BSP#43 Rev. 11/10, available on their website as a PDF:

At Nesowadnehunk Field: This mid-Park location is an ideal spot from which to hike the Brothers or Doubletop. Winter visitors to this area usually access the campground from the west, driving up the Golden Road to the Telos Road, parking cars at mile marker 35, and skiing the 5.2 miles into the Park. Hikes in this area will offer solitude and a chance to see a wide assortment of animal signs.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting online article about the Golden Road.

This is from Baxter's own winter brochure BSP#43 Rev. 11/10, available on their website as a PDF:

At Nesowadnehunk Field: This mid-Park location is an ideal spot from which to hike the Brothers or Doubletop. Winter visitors to this area usually access the campground from the west, driving up the Golden Road to the Telos Road, parking cars at mile marker 35, and skiing the 5.2 miles into the Park. Hikes in this area will offer solitude and a chance to see a wide assortment of animal signs.

Hi, Joe. Yes- that is the spot where many have parked in the past for shorter access to Nesowadnehunk. In spite of that brochure being available on the website, if you call the office, they are "officially" discouraging parking there (I called to verify if it gets plowed). You hate to make reservations with the intention of a a 6 mile hike in only to find out you cannot park there because a giant snow storm has come by that time and now you need to park at Abol Bridge. While I wouldn't mind the longer haul in on my skis from Abol, I'm heading there with a few people who are snow shoing. They would not be up to that much work- it will be their first time there in winter with a purpose of simple R&R. (Not an "Inge and Peter" type outing!)

But thanks for the input.

The Abol Bridge Store/Restaurant is now open, and the parking there remains safe. I've never parked up Telos.

LL, I do remember the approach to the fieldhouse is about 5-6 miles and the last 1/3 mileish was on a trail in the woods (not sure if that was temporary or not) but it was somewhat marked and either way,. not far and wasn't hard to follow... Spits you out right by I think a fieldhouse for the park crew and just a short walk from there to the bunkhouse and then a bit farther to the leantos/campground there..

Jay

Hi, Joe. Yes- that is the spot where many have parked in the past for shorter access to Nesowadnehunk. In spite of that brochure being available on the website, if you call the office, they are "officially" discouraging parking there (I called to verify if it gets plowed). You hate to make reservations with the intention of a a 6 mile hike in only to find out you cannot park there because a giant snow storm has come by that time and now you need to park at Abol Bridge. While I wouldn't mind the longer haul in on my skis from Abol, I'm heading there with a few people who are snow shoing. They would not be up to that much work- it will be their first time there in winter with a purpose of simple R&R. (Not an "Inge and Peter" type outing!)

Hey Lucky!! WHAT?! We neeeeed to get together and do a "Peter and Inge" type hike! Carl has even promised to wear his crampons this time :) I hope that all is well and we see you this winter! xxoo Inge

You might want to consider booking a cabin at Daicey or Kidney Ponds campgrounds which are "only" 8-10 miles from Abol Bridge. There is a total of about 900 ft climb to Daicey but most groups should be able to do it.

And a short snowshoe to Sentinel Mt is worth it!!! :) (even if you are breaking trail). That was one of my solo trips from Abol Bridge the week I spent up around there in winter...I broke pretty much all the way from Foss and Knowles Pond.. and then missed the short cut to Daicey pond and bushwacked a bit to do an end around Daicey pond..

Jay

Thanks to all of you. I have two reservation forms filled out and I'll probably bag the one for Nesowadnehunk in consideration of my "tender" hiking friends. Inge-I'm dying for an "Inge and Peter" type hike- especially if you bring Carl to amuse us... and secretly, I'm thinking I could at least keep up with Carl, hopefully!

Jay- love your icon or avatar whatever you call those things. Giffords is top 3 in ice cream in my personal rating. Only behind Manchester based "Blakes" and either tied with or slightly behind "Perrys". Wish I had some for breakfast today.

Jay- love your icon or avatar whatever you call those things. Giffords is top 3 in ice cream in my personal rating. Only behind Manchester based "Blakes" and either tied with or slightly behind "Perrys". Wish I had some for breakfast today.

Thanks :), I finally found a ice cream store here that carrys Giffords AND their "Maine Black Bear" flavor here in Pittsfield, MA this past summer. There was another place that carries Giffords but they didn't carry the brand and I almost got a small grocery store here to carry the gallons. This is after contacting a local ice cream distributor who wasn't allowed to sell directly to the public. I thought of starting my own LLC so I could buy those 5 gallon bucket things... :)

The ice cream place in Waterville Valley sells Giffords and MBB, which is another excuse to go hike Sandwich Dome or Tecumseh for me....

We can get Perrys down here, many stores scoop Perrys and you can find them in gas stations as well as the ubiquious Stewarts (still 1/2 gallon!). I'll have to look into tracking down Blakes....

There are a bunch of very small local creameries that make ice cream too that they sell in my local "trader joes" like store... Super expensive but obviously very fresh, creamy and yummy.

Jay

I'm dying for an "Inge and Peter" type hike...

i'd like to join in on a "Lucky Laura and Inge and Peter" type hike, if you don't mind friends tagging along ? i owe you some trail-breaking for breaking out the Sewards a few Winters ago ...

hope you're having a fun Winter :)

i'd like to join in on a "Lucky Laura and Inge and Peter" type hike, if you don't mind friends tagging along ? i owe you some trail-breaking for breaking out the Sewards a few Winters ago ...

hope you're having a fun Winter :)

Arm- you are too much. Are you telling me that you did the Sewards that March weekend in '08? I didn't break that out- I poached the work of Ferris and Dunbar. And it was thanks to you that I lost my status as a "Baxter winter virgin" when you invited me in with that great, steamy group in '06 or so!

Inge and Peter are right up your "strong hiker" alley- I just need someone along who would be a "plodder" like me! If I can get those NY clowns to finally deliver on their promise to come to NH, we'll surely ring you up to join us. Maybe they are afraid of our Whites? Too much of a challenge for them? I need stronger bait than that, probably.

I haven't been out as much as I'd like- been down to a lot of basketball games at UConn- two more this weekend. Hope you are swell!

And to Jay- amazing that Perry's is in MA. I always get it when I go to Syracuse! Good to know it's available not too far away.

The park person was pretty vague about it. I know people who have stayed in 'sowadnehunk in past years who parked there no problem but now the park is specifically recommending against it. I've only parked at Abol Bridge in winter before. Didn't know if anyone had more info on this.
I would say the park is being typically conservative about recommending the use of someone else's property. Why not contact the owner of the Golden Road who can tell you what is plowed and what the parking rules are?

I would say the park is being typically conservative about recommending the use of someone else's property. Why not contact the owner of the Golden Road who can tell you what is plowed and what the parking rules are?

Roy- I wish I had done that but it didn't occur to me. At this point, I already changed the cabin but if I get any more intel when we go, I will share the information.

We are getting ready to go to Baxter State Park this week to stay at Nesowdahunk and called the office several times about the parking situation discussed here. What I got during the first couple of calls is similar to what has been mentioned here, while they don't prohibit parking at Williams Pond Road, they do discourage it. When I called today I again asked why and was told that Telos Road is not always used during the weekends so if there was a storm on Saturday or Sunday the road might not get plowed right away. I followed up with a call to Katahdin Forest Management who oversees that area and spoke with one of the foresters. He told me that parking at Williams Pond Road would be fine, and in fact the plow has cleared parking spaces for several cars along the side of the road. He did suggest though that we bring a shovel in case there is a storm - the road does get plowed but we may get plowed in.