Garmin to use my trailhead waypoint file

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, good on ya! Thank you! I've just received a Garmin eTrex 30 and have lots to learn, I'm sure, but appreciate that you made this available to folk. (It will be easier to learn now that I have gotten the language back to English, I think.)

Yes, good on ya! Thank you! I've just received a Garmin eTrex 30 and have lots to learn, I'm sure, but appreciate that you made this available to folk. (It will be easier to learn now that I have gotten the language back to English, I think.)

You have some company. I once found a like-new eTrex that someone had returned to the store as defective. I turned it on and realized in pretty short order that the reason the screen was unreadable was because someone had been fiddling with the brightness control and couldn't figure out what to do. I tracked down the customer and called him. He explained that a friend had gotten it for him and had been attempting to show him how to use it. I invited him to come to the store, whereupon I gave him a short primer with some words of encouragement to overcome his slight technophobia and sent him on his way, a presumably happier camper. (Ask T-Rex, I imagine she can tell you some similar tales about various articles of gear ... :rolleyes: )

Anyone had any luck opening Mohamed's file in MapSource/BaseCamp? When I follow his link, my browser opens a new web page, in HTML with a metadata header. My HTML editing skills aren't up to stripping out the HTML data and saving the resulting file as a .gpx.

Kevin,

Right-click and "Save link as" should do it (you supply name of file).

Alternately, there is nothing that needs stripping in the file (the headers are all GPX headers) so saving from thje browser's File menu should do it.

Anyone had any luck opening Mohamed's file in MapSource/BaseCamp? When I follow his link, my browser opens a new web page, in HTML with a metadata header. My HTML editing skills aren't up to stripping out the HTML data and saving the resulting file as a .gpx.
I just downloaded the GPX file and it loads into Mapsource without difficulty.

FWIW:
* The GPX file begins with (first line):
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
* and ends with (last line):
Code:
</gpx>

Doug

Thanks, Mohamed. I'll blend it into my own TH .gpx info for my Garmin Nuvi's. I have about 250 TH entries for east, west and BC locations.

You might try setting the mime type to application/gpx+xml -- right now it is text/html and thus the browser renders it as such.

Code:
<a type="application/gpx+xml" href="...Trailheads.gpx">Trailheads.gpx</a>

Tim

That's great Mohamed! I'm curious about how they plan to include the info. Is it going to be in the 100K or 24K topos (or even better, as part of the base map)?

I just bought a new Garmin 62S a couple of weeks ago and used it for the first time last weekend. Very happy with the performance. The experience of finding the right maps for it was a bit more of a challenge. After about a week of fooling around I came up with a pretty good combination of tools and maps that so far are working out well. I don't want to hijack this thread and will start a new one this weekend on that topic. I'm really interested to hear what others are using as well.