Ticeteneyck or is it Ticetonyk?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCKYSUMMIT

Reaction score
Catskills: Ticeteneyck or is it Ticetonyk?
Well there has been some debate in the past on this peak and it's spelling. But there will be little debate about the views of this lesser known mountain. Being inspired by Rivet and Beagle's report a few weeks back, Peakbagr, Bookah, Hermit and I found this "trailhead" and headed in! Wow, very pretty area right off the bat as Rivet mentioned following the woods road through the narrow path of state land. Lots of deer sign and many other critters had Bookah going nuts. Shortly as we followed the ridge and woods roads north the views began to appear. Tonshi Mtn to our left and Ashokan Reservoir spreading across everywhere else. There was very little snow cover if any at all as we were in the sun almost the whole time. At the western side of the mountain the views spread all the way to the Burroughs Range. After scouting around the summit we made our way around and through a large area of laurel that spread to and down the north side of the mountain. We then came out to the eastern ledges with more views from the Devils Path to Yankeetown Pond, Tonshi Mtn, the reservoir and Ashokan HP. Very cool! On the way out the wind began to pick up and it started to feel like February instead of a fall hike. Heading down the ridge it felt like we were on a 2500 ft elevated peninsula with water practically all around us. Photos just can't capture it all! Anyway, I tried.https://picasaweb.google.com/111456...&authkey=Gv1sRgCNvzq9jBrZX5HA&feat=directlink

Last edited:
Being inspired by Rivet and Beagle's report a few weeks back, Peakbagr, Bookah, Hermit and I found this "trailhead" and headed in! Wow, very pretty area right off the bat as Rivet mentioned following the woods road through the narrow path of state land.
I couldn't find the report above or a map showing state land, any clues?

I've seen this one for a few years abut didn't have details until corresponding with someone who hiked it last year. Then a poster here also went last year and his hike got the wheels going. A recent blog post, with photos, got the plans in place. If something hadn't come up we would have run into Rivet the day he and Howie hiked it.
I have a DEC contour map showing the mountain and access. There is a thin, curvy, DEC access corridor at the bottom that quickly widens out to encompass the entire south side of the mountain right up to the summit benchmark. DEC acquired the 440+ acres a few years ago from the adjacent landowner.
PM me your email address and I can send the map.

Photos from the hike last Saturday with Hermit, Tony and Bookah:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.593835743966289.150729.100000196052414&type=1&l=ed5395bbe0