#575 and #576, Adams and Madison, 2/16/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
February 16, 2013: Adams & Madison

Trails: Valley Way, Gulfside Trail, Air Line Trail, Osgood Trail

Summits: Adams, Madison

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Peakbagger (Dennis), and me

We have been watching the weather reports and waiting for suitable conditions for a day above the treeline in the Northern Presidentials. We attempted this hike on our last hike day of last February with the intentions of finishing our February grid hiking on that day. The conditions were too severe once we reached the treeline and we were forced to turn around. Now we have nearly ideal conditions in the forecast and we’re taking another run at these final two peaks.

As planned, we met Peakbagger at the Appalachia trail head for an on-trail target of 7:30am. We all took care of our final hike prep, Peakbagger checked the early trail conditions and suggested we start on MICROSpikes due to the solid trail conditions. We also had snowshoes and crampons on our packs. We left the trailhead expecting to make a change in footwear at some point but didn’t know where that might be.

The lower part of Valley Way was very solid and the light traction did the job. We were able to hike along without causing any trail damage. Roughly half way to the Valley Way Tentsite we were passed by Bignslow (VFTT) and his hiking partner (sorry, I didn’t get the name). Yeah – he’s big but I wouldn’t call him slow. As we gained elevation the trail condition gradually changed. Above the Valley Way Tentsite the trail surface was much softer and we eventually made the change to snowshoes to avoid trail damage. We reached the Madison Spring Hut and headed south on Gulfside. Our plan was to summit #575 - Adams first and finish on Madison for #576. After we made our way through the small section of scrub near the hut we found the windblown, rocky trail conditions were better suited to light traction than snowshoes and changed back. Along the way to Adams we enjoyed views to the west and northwest that included a great amount of undercast. Once we made the turn onto Airline and started the final section leading to Adams, the cloud cover became pretty thick and we had limited visibility. Being able to follow the trail wasn’t a concern since we could always see the next cairn or two.

There is much less ice than I expected above the treeline. It’s important to watch your step since the areas between the rocks are soft. Some places seem to be bottomless. Stay on the rocks to avoid a problem, but the MICROSpikes take a beating. I have broken multiple sets of MICROSpikes on hikes to Adams. Slowly we made our way along Airline and eventually could see the signpost on the summit. Visibility wasn’t good as we approached the summit; we were probably within fifty yards of the summit before being able to see the signpost. Once we arrived to the summit of Adams the conditions opened up a little and we had some interesting undercast views to enjoy along with a very nice view to the summit of Washington poking through the clouds. I’ve been on Adams quite a few times and this is the only visit I recall that had no wind. The conditions were calm; quite a surprise. We got the summit pictures and started down to head back to the Madison Spring Hut and on to #576 – Madison.

From Adams to Madison we stayed with MICROSpikes and probably none of us even thought about making a change. We passed by the hut and started the final climb. Again there was limited ice, lots of big rocks, and the need to watch your step. We were in no hurry at all and maintained a very comfortable pace to the summit. One couple passed us on the climb. High on Madison as we approached the short ridge leading to the summit we started to experience some wind. It was very light but building. I knew the forecast predicted very high winds overnight but they weren’t expected to start ramping up until a couple hours after dark. We expected to be on the road south by then.

The three of us slowly made our way to the summit occasionally stopping for pictures along the way; first it was a couple of the large cairns, and then it was the signpost on the summit. Finally, we had #576 as Sue and I stood together on the high point of Madison. Peakbagger had the camera and snapped some pictures. The first pictures had me with an elevation advantage over Sue but that soon changed. A while earlier we met Hikerfred and his companions. Hikerfred pointed out it wasn’t official until we were back to the trailhead. He was right; we had only 4.2 miles to go – mostly downhill.

There wasn’t a great deal of wind but enough to make standing around for a long period of time uncomfortable. We wouldn’t have to give up much elevation to get below the wind and started our descent. When we reached Madison Spring Hut we retired the MICROSpikes and went with snowshoes for the remaining hike to the trailhead.

When the day started we had a terrific trail to hike. In the course of the day the trail took quite a beating. The three of us plus Hikerfred and his companions all did our exit hike on snowshoes and completed some grooming and repair on the way out. We couldn’t correct all of the damage done during the day but six sets of snowshoes made a step in the right direction.

Pretty much on plan we arrived back to the trailhead lot. Peakbagger packed up his things as Sue and I took care of ours. We all said our goodbyes and headed off in opposite directions.

Dennis, I’m really glad you were able to join the fun, you’re a pleasure to hike with.

As always, Thanks Sue.

Pictures will follow.

Congrats to you both and look forward to seeing the photos! Some of my very best shots in the Whites were from a mid-February hike up those two with Jefferson looking like an island from Adams that day. Just imagining how many rewarding sights the mountains have given you two in hiking 576 peaks! Round two?;)

Congratulations to both of you! Your trip reports are always accurate, informative, and classy. As usual, looking forward to the pictures. :)

What an awesome experience it must be to accomplish such a large undertaking as The Grid! You both deserve a hardy congratulations for persevering through some incredible weather and trail conditions over the various months of the year. What would you say were the toughest months to accomplish your grid needs in? I'm going to guess April? By the way, great pics. Glad you had company on your grid finish!

Congrats to the both of you. I've enjoyed the handful of hikes I've shared with you two, look forward to more in the future.

Hearty congrats Earl and Sue !
Been enjoying some, ( but certainly, not all ) of your TR's over the years.
About a year ago, I started thinking, Jezz.. they must be getting close !

What's next ???

Congratulations Earl & Sue

I hope you don't quit writing TR's. You have a unique style that is all your own. It is casual yet technical that conveys insights into hiking in all conditions. Someone wanting to learn about hiking the NH 4K's in all conditions would do well to read your stuff. What's next?? a book???

Oh yeah... Your and Sue's project have helped dozens (maybe 100's) of other mountain hikers achieve their hiking goals in NH 4K's. Posting your trips have promoted esprit de corp, hiker safety by providing opportunities for hiking in groups. You guys deserve a medal and a scroll.

Jazzbo (Ray)

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for your positive comments. It’s been quite a trip.

…..
What would you say were the toughest months to accomplish your grid needs in? I'm going to guess April?
…..
I think April is tough for a lot of people because of the wet conditions and end-of-winter monorail on many trails. The hiking is just not as pleasant in April as other times. We tried to always make the best of whatever we had for conditions. This made April a pretty good month.

The toughest months were probably November and December. The holidays and deer season present stiff competition to hiking. Once you get rid of the schedule conflicts everything is easier; it’s just a matter of dealing with the weather at that point.

…..
What's next ???

Good question.

Congratulations Earl & Sue

I hope you don't quit writing TR's. You have a unique style that is all your own. It is casual yet technical that conveys insights into hiking in all conditions. Someone wanting to learn about hiking the NH 4K's in all conditions would do well to read your stuff. What's next?? a book???

Oh yeah... Your and Sue's project have helped dozens (maybe 100's) of other mountain hikers achieve their hiking goals in NH 4K's. Posting your trips have promoted esprit de corp, hiker safety by providing opportunities for hiking in groups. You guys deserve a medal and a scroll.

Jazzbo (Ray)
Ray,

Thank you.

When I started hiking my main resources for guidance were the White Mountain Guide, Mohamed’s site, and VFTT. I gathered a great deal of very helpful hike planning information from each. For most of my first pass through the NH4K’s it was a one-way street regarding information flow. I decided that needed to change and I started reporting on my hiking experiences. The most helpful details I received from Mohamed’s site and VFTT were trail conditions and route guidance. Recognizing how important and helpful this information was to me I have tried to focus on providing similar details in my reports and pictures. I’ve never claimed my approach to a particular hike was the best approach; it was nothing more than my approach. At times we used an unusual approach. I usually tried to explain our motives, which could be just for new scenery, or a little extra distance/elevation, perhaps an added peak, or maybe just silly/twisted variety. Bottom line, I tried to provide that same sort of help as I received from Mohamed’s site and VFTT.

Many have asked the question “What’s next?” At this point the future is very unclear. We’re all affected by things that are beyond our control. I’m trying to understand if there is a “next”.

I said it in the other thread, but let me say it again: Congrats you two! It's been great this last year running into you guys several times as you were working on this, and I can only hope we cross paths again (and I'm sure we will). Good luck with whatever is "next".

Earl and Sue,

I just want to congratulate you and Sue on a remarkable achievement and add that your written TR's and amazing photo-journals have been a trustworthy and reliable resource for my White Mountain trip planning. You have been the "go to" source of intel and enjoyment for several years. I hope someday our paths will cross so I can personally thank you and Sue.
With admiration and sincere gratitude.

Pete

Congratulations Earl and Sue! What an incredible accomplishment. I wish I'd had a chance to hike with both of you more recently but there are some great memories still. Sue was in the group I went with on my first 4K - Mt. Jefferson. I remember being amazed at how fast she hiked, which is still true to this day. Earl, you got me up and over quite a few 4Ks in just a few short trips, including a very memorable first winter 4K trip to Tom, Field and Willey and a grueling 80-degree trek over the entire Franconia Ridge. I hope to get a chance to hike with both of you again someday soon.

Good report. I was talking last night in EMS-Manchester to a man who said he and his buddy were going up to summit Adams on Sunday. Yes, they were bringing crampons. No they were not bringing snowshoes. He didn't care about post-holing. He and his buddy are training for hiking the AT starting in March. At some point, one has to just walk away from a pointless conversation, but I did have my say about maintaining the integrity of the trail for others. Should have had a print-out of your report to hand over to him.

Congratulations, Sue and Earl! It was nice crossing your paths last spring on Carrigain and Garfield. Good luck on your next endeavor.
Lucky Laura

I said it in the other thread, but let me say it again: Congrats you two! It's been great this last year running into you guys several times as you were working on this, and I can only hope we cross paths again (and I'm sure we will). Good luck with whatever is "next".
Thanks Matt,

I agree with you, it’s been a treat to bump into you at random places in the mountains. Hopefully we’ll actually hike together again soon. They’re not all crazy hikes.

I’m still trying to figure out “next”. Nothing is easy.

Congrats to you both! What a great accomplishment!
Nice trip report, too! :)

Mike
Thanks Mike.

Earl and Sue,

I just want to congratulate you and Sue on a remarkable achievement and add that your written TR's and amazing photo-journals have been a trustworthy and reliable resource for my White Mountain trip planning. You have been the "go to" source of intel and enjoyment for several years. I hope someday our paths will cross so I can personally thank you and Sue.
With admiration and sincere gratitude.

Pete
Thanks Pete,

I’m really happy to hear the reports and pictures are appreciated. They’re done with the hope of being sometimes helpful, sometimes entertaining, and sometimes both. The hikes haven’t always gone the way we wanted but they have always left wonderful memories. It’s been a fun trip with Sue and I’ve always been happy to share the experience with anybody that wants to come along.

Congratulations Earl and Sue! What an incredible accomplishment. I wish I'd had a chance to hike with both of you more recently but there are some great memories still. Sue was in the group I went with on my first 4K - Mt. Jefferson. I remember being amazed at how fast she hiked, which is still true to this day. Earl, you got me up and over quite a few 4Ks in just a few short trips, including a very memorable first winter 4K trip to Tom, Field and Willey and a grueling 80-degree trek over the entire Franconia Ridge. I hope to get a chance to hike with both of you again someday soon.
Hey Bob – Good Times!

The Tom, Field, and Willey hike was an interesting day (glissading the Willey ladders was especially fun – in a scary sort of way). Franconia Ridge was an interesting test. The one that you must be working hard to block from your memory is Washington and Jefferson. That was a hike! For you it was a two-day day hike as I recall. We’ve got great memories from all of them and we’ll continue to talk about them for a long time I’m sure.

Good report. I was talking last night in EMS-Manchester to a man who said he and his buddy were going up to summit Adams on Sunday. Yes, they were bringing crampons. No they were not bringing snowshoes. He didn't care about post-holing. He and his buddy are training for hiking the AT starting in March. At some point, one has to just walk away from a pointless conversation, but I did have my say about maintaining the integrity of the trail for others. Should have had a print-out of your report to hand over to him.
Thanks Ellen,

There are many self-centered inconsiderate folks wandering the trails. And, around here they’re free to behave this way. I’ve heard there’s no law against stupidity. Common sense, however, can be legislated. The approach in New York that requires snowshoe use might be a nice change around here – as long as it gets enforced. The revenue from fines could go to a general SAR fund. That could be a win-win.

Congratulations, Sue and Earl! It was nice crossing your paths last spring on Carrigain and Garfield. Good luck on your next endeavor.
Lucky Laura

Congratulations Sue and Big Earl!

Thanks Laura and Scott.

Last edited: