Stretching plastic boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success having double plastic boots stretched by a boot shop to gain width? I tried it a couple of times years ago with Koflach Para's thru Stan and Dans in Conway (recomended by IME) and a boot fitter at Sunday River. I never felt that it did much beyond draining my wallet. I have a pair of Scarpa Invernos now that sure could use it.

Woked well for my downhill ski boots

I'v enever had it done for a pair of platic mountaineering boots but it worked on my downhill ski boots. Although, on my ski boots I needed to blow out the toe box, no the width of the entire boot. That sounds like it could be very difficult do well. I've always thought of it as a technique to adress a specific hot spot, not change the shape of the entire boot.

Risky - but aye

I did some widening on my Koflak Ultras using a heat gun (not a hairdryer) and a short length of broomhandle. The plastic shell softens quite quickly and is easily pushed out. I used a bit too much heat on one boot and the normally pebbly surface turned shiney in one small section. Seems to work OK.

stretching plastic

i would tend to think by just the nature of the materials used for the boot they could not be stretched and should not. you don't want to weaken the structure or cause any type of hairline cracks that may not show up immediately but ruin the boot down the line. plastics are what they are hard and immobile. if you are talking about a new pr of boots maybe you'd be better off going up a size vs trying to think of ways to make a too small or narrow boot fit that can not be adjusted.

stretching scarpas - from scarpa

this info is from scarpa regarding stretching their boot , specifically the inverno which you mentioned. i would think the part about voiding any warranty would apply to any boot you tried this on but this is what scott had to say:

Hello,
Boy, this is something that we really don't have much of a comment on. Bottom line is that yes, it can be done (either by a boot or ski boot fitter or by yourself). However, it is something that will void the warranty on the boot, so if you do it make sure you get it done right the first time. If it's just one point on the boot that is bothering him, then enlarging that point would be fairly straightforward. If it is a general fit problem (too narrow throughout) his best bet might be to sell the boots and get a wider brand since enlarging the whole boot would be very tricky.
Cheers,
Scott
Scott Shillinglaw
Black Diamond Retail
2084 E 3900 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84124

[email protected]
801-278-5533
www.bdel.com