Outings for the last few weekends of the winter season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted on the Mt Washington OBS website today "... An additional 1-2" of snow will fall today, nearly all of it coming very early this morning. Strong winds during the first half of today will pick up the light and powdery snow pack in place, resulting in significant blowing and drifting of snow."

This means that the eastern side of the Presidential Range will have increased avalanche risk; i.e., Huntington, Tucks, Oaks, etc.

Didja?

I think I am hiking Whiteface and Passaconaway on Friday and Madison, Adams, and Jefferson possibly on Saturday, and something short on Sunday before the long drive back

So did you do Whiteface and Passaconway? Was it broken out?

Thanks everyone, I think we are going in from Galehead River and the plan is 3 and back. Seems Saturday will be the day with the beautiful weather we are supposed to have!

Sent you a PM about possibly joining your hike and helping with car spot so it can be done as a loop.

I hope that people are able to take advantage of this weekend's favorable weather. The SteveR crew saw my post here and joined Dedyrator and I for Jefferson and then Washington.

I am planning on finally doing Owl's Head next weekend but with this warming trend I am concerned about losing the snow-bridged crossings. I would like to thank all the people who have extended open invites to others via this thread. I think that gesture is what Views is really all about.

Good stuff:D

Z

I hope that people are able to take advantage of this weekend's favorable weather. The SteveR crew saw my post here and joined Dedyrator and I for Jefferson and then Washington.

I am planning on finally doing Owl's Head next weekend but with this warming trend I am concerned about losing the snow-bridged crossings. I would like to thank all the people who have extended open invites to others via this thread. I think that gesture is what Views is really all about.

Good stuff:D

Z

It was good to see you again yesterday, and what a fabulous day to be above treeline. I can't remember seeing anything comparable. Our trek over Jefferson, Adams and Madison was the highlight of the winter, and have never seen that many people in the North Presis regardless of time of year.

I'm going to make trip to Owls Head on Wednesday, so will post a trails report on NE Trails.

It was good to see you again yesterday, and what a fabulous day to be above treeline. I can't remember seeing anything comparable. Our trek over Jefferson, Adams and Madison was the highlight of the winter, and have never seen that many people in the North Presis regardless of time of year.

I'm going to make trip to Owls Head on Wednesday, so will post a trails report on NE Trails.

Thanks Kevin!

It was nice to officially meet you and I hope to hike with you at some point. Yesterday was one of those days where I couldn't stop admiring the views and it was a pleasant struggle to remain focused on the footing.

I look forward to reading your TR on Owl's Head and I hope you have a good trip.

Be well and thanks again,

Z:D

That's GREAT! I'm so glad that you and your children share these amazing hikes and moments together. Have a great hike and I look forward to hearing about the bagging of your final peak.

Hopefully our paths will cross one of these days.

Be well

Last edited:
Saturday, March 16 – Mt. Waumbek. Trailwrights’ Hiking chairman Dan Blanchette will lead a hike up the Star King Trail to Star King, taking in the view? Then on to the wooded summit of Waumbek. Approximately 7 miles round trip. Full winter gear required. Contact Dan for details at knapsac at aol.com.

Looking at Middle Carter and maybe South on Sunday. Three of us at an easy pace (my friends are faster than I am).

Hello all,

Once again I would like to thank all the folks who have used this thread to plan trips, share trail conditions, and extend invites to others. Your posts and efforts are much appreciated. :)

This Saturday there will be at least two large groups taking on Owl's Head. Kevin Rooney's trail report states that this trail is in great shape and the water crossings are manageable.

If you are considering checking off the elusive OH from your winter 48 list this sounds like the time to do it.

Crampons might be prove useful on the final ascent up the Brutus Bushwhack but the trail is broken out and fast.

I look forward to hearing about what peaks people will be pursuing on the final "official" winter weekend. I will be doing OH on Saturday and helping a friend of mine check off his first 48 on Sunday (Jackson, a good place to start).

Enjoy and be safe.

This Saturday there will be at least two large groups taking on Owl's Head. Kevin Rooney's trail report states that this trail is in great shape and the water crossings are manageable.

Zac - here's a Facebook link to photos from yesterday's Owls Head hike showing the brook crossings.

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to thank all the folks who viewed and responded to this thread.

It was great to connect with so many people from previous hikes and see so many familiar faces on the trail. I'm looking forward to hearing about, and seeing, what people did on this final Sunday of the official winter season.

See you on the trail.:D

Z