Outings for the last few weekends of the winter season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As this winter season winds down (in the equinox sense at least) I was curious what people have on the docket for these last few weekends of official winter outings.

In the wake of the storm I know a lot of people will be keeping a watchful eye on trail conditions and hoping trails are broken out again soon.

I am posting this thread as a means of getting a dialogue going so…

1: others can determine what trials will soon be broken out and
2: hopefully some meet ups will develop through PMs and posts.

I have met some great people this winter season through Views and I look forward to making more connections in the future. Maybe this thread will be a springboard for others to connect or reconnect.

So what’s next for you? :D

Thanks,

Z

At 1400 feet in Gorham I got 8 to 10 inches. Its not "concrete" but it has less of fluff factor than prior storms. Great base for snowshoeing but more work for the trail breakers. I expect the snow accumulation is very elevation related as the first 6 hours of the storm didnt tend to accumulate.

So a rare occasion these last few years where heading north (and east) is where you want to go for snow.

Cannon is now tracked out. There was a dusting down low and then slowly increased depths to the summit. The glades had about 6 inches and then once off the glades depths were around 8-12 inches of wet, heavy snow. I was the lone soul out there today so the track is started.

There is one advantage to living in the North Country, you know when the weatherman is fibbing. Sat on my couch this morning eating my breakfast staring at the Franconia and Kinsman Ridges. Sunny skies and very few clouds. Figured I could get up and back before the predicted rains come.

Not much here in Lakes Region, 2-4" maybe. I still need Twins/GH, anyone up for that this weekend? Yes, Washington and surrounding peaks were pretty white (almost flourescent, actually) when I went through Crawford Notch today.

Moriah or a 19 Mile > CMT > Imp (south) loop on Saturday if it isn't totally rainy; next weekend whichever of those we don't do; finish our 48 on Carrigain before the winter is out. That's the plan at this point ...

Moriah or a 19 Mile > CMT > Imp (south) loop on Saturday if it isn't totally rainy; next weekend whichever of those we don't do; finish our 48 on Carrigain before the winter is out. That's the plan at this point ...

Those sound like some pretty good options. Moriah is a great hike but I hope the weather holds out for you. I would like to do Cabot but not in the rain.

Thanks for your reply to the thread. Let's hope more people jump on board and post some suggestions.

Z

^^ Hope you have a nice day for Cabot. We hiked it late on a gem of a Saturday in January -- wicked windy at first, but settled into an amazing afternoon with skies so clear the blue was nearly purple, and we walked out the last mile by the light of the stars alone.

Good Morning Mirabela Family,

Thank you for your encouraging reply. I have been watching the weather and Lincoln looks like a better option (no rain, just snow). I just read a TR on Newenglandtrailconditions.com by Sunshine. I saw her and Pemi (her pretty well-known pooch) on Monroe on Tuesday.

I will be at the Lincoln Woods lot at 7:00. At this point it will probably be a solo-mission (haven't had any takers from my usual contacts). This will be my first ascent of OH, but the trail is supposed to be in great shape and this would be my 2nd attempt (water crossings were impassable last time).

TO ALL: I would make this an open invite but due to my lack of experience with this hike I don't feel I would be a good candidate to lead this outing. :eek:

I hope you have a safe and dry hike this weekend,

Z

Last edited:
We're looking at the Carters, maybe just Middle or maybe just South. Not a super early start and not super fast. Just fun, we hope. Three of us so far.

Twins and Galehead Saturday 3/9/2013 and Whiteface and Passaconway Sunday.....anyone interested, they could be flipped? I need 16 to finish and I have next friday and the following Monday and Tuesday off! I know I won't quite be done but I want to get in as many before the 20th as possible!

And on that note....Does anyone know where to park to go in on North Twin trail? How about a direction that is better to tackle this hike from? Or because I only have 1 car, how about coming in from either direction and doing three and coming back out? Any input for me??