Outings for the last few weekends of the winter season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And on that note....Does anyone know where to park to go in on North Twin trail? How about a direction that is better to tackle this hike from? Or because I only have 1 car, how about coming in from either direction and doing three and coming back out? Any input for me??

Usually the Twins & Galehead is done as a loop, requiring a carspot. I prefer parking at the end of Little River Rd (look for sign for Seven Dwarfs), going up N. Twin first and Galehead last, ending up at the Beaverbrook rest area.

Using only one vehicle, I've done it via Beaverbrook, going up S. Twin first, then over and back to N. Twin, and doing Galehead last. That's a longer day, but doable with only one vehicle.

A small group of us are headed to Mt. Bond on Saturday from the Kanc. Meet at the parking lot at 6:30, boots on the trail shortly thereafter. There are three of us that need it for our winter Trailwrights list. Experienced winter hikers are welcome to join us.

A small group of us are headed to Mt. Bond on Saturday from the Kanc. Meet at the parking lot at 6:30, boots on the trail shortly thereafter. There are three of us that need it for our winter Trailwrights list. Experienced winter hikers are welcome to join us.

Up bondcliff? Then back? No West Bond?

I only have one car and two people! Would it be worth a road walk to do it in a loop? ( how long would a road walk be?) Or out and back would be better? The one thing that kept me from taking off from the North Twin was not being sure where the "herd path" takes off from. I have read it in trip reports but I am not certain if you just pull in a lot and there are footprints?? Also read in trip reports that the water crossings on that side were a pain?

The water crossings can be a pain, or they can be low and/or snow bridged. The old North Twin Trail is very easy to find - so easy you'll slap yourself when you see it. From the end of Little River Road, cross the gated bridge and immediately turn left to follow the bank of the Little River - the trail is there, you can't miss it.

The road walk is 4.5 miles - Little River Road is a mile long from route 3, and another 3.5 back to Beaver Brook.

Tim

To add to Tim's comments - see this trail conditions report.

If I had only one vehicle, I'd do and out and back from Beaverbrook.

Right now the brooks are in pretty good shape. That may change next week - mild temps and a bit of rain is in the forecast. Am hoping the brooks hold thru the last weekend of winter hiking.

Last edited:
Up bondcliff? Then back? No West Bond?

Adding W. Bond to this hike is a possibility. Of the three definitely committed to this hike, all need Bond and all have W. Bond. I will still need Bondcliff after this hike and will have to make one more trip that way in the future. One of the Trailwrights List requirements is that only one peak counts per hike, hence another hike to Bondcliff after Saturday. I need six more to complete the winter list and Bond and Bondcliff are two of those.

And on that note....Does anyone know where to park to go in on North Twin trail? How about a direction that is better to tackle this hike from? Or because I only have 1 car, how about coming in from either direction and doing three and coming back out? Any input for me??

It is possible to cut back from Gal River Loop Rd to Haystack Rd along a snomobile trail but I would not recommend it if you arer unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks everyone, I think we are going in from Galehead River and the plan is 3 and back. Seems Saturday will be the day with the beautiful weather we are supposed to have!

I'm so glad to see so many people using this thread to orchestrate their hikes. :) Dehydrator and I are considering Jefferson this Saturday with Isolation as a bail out option. It sounds like Iso may see some heavy traffic. Let's hope the trail is broken out and not broken by those who use it.

Z

Z, we're also considering Jefferson. Just need to see that forecast about 24 hrs from now...

I really want to make a run up Washington by winters end. Weekends suck, but maybe I could get a Saturday off near the end of the month/first sat of April (I know, no longer counts for a winter 4k, whatever).

Anyone up for doing Vose Spur this Saturday 3/9?

I think I am hiking Whiteface and Passaconaway on Friday and Madison, Adams, and Jefferson possibly on Saturday, and something short on Sunday before the long drive back

I really want to make a run up Washington by winters end. Weekends suck, but maybe I could get a Saturday off near the end of the month/first sat of April (I know, no longer counts for a winter 4k, whatever).

Keep me posted.