Mt Isolation - 2d attempt. Suggestions, Recomendations, Trail coinditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
My 1st attempt at Isolation (which was to be #47/48) failed on Feb 22, :( because of unbroken trails. I struggled for a couple hours going knee deep with shoes on before I admitted to myself that it was undoable (for me). Luckily I salvaged the day and did Madison for #47 :D. But that still leaves Isolation. I would really like to finish my 48 before Spring. This weekend looks like a possibility. Either Sunday or Monday. Weather looks good and I’m hoping for a lot of weekend trail traffic on Rocky Branch. I’m thinking, as we get closer to the end of winter (March 19th?), the better chance there is for trails to Iso being broken out by procrastinating hikers trying to finish their winter 48. Only 2 weekends left!
Again any input of trail conditions would be great. I saw a posting on VFTT by Lucky Laura that indicated that the trail was broken out last Sunday, but I’m not sure how much snow has fallen up there since then or how much traffic. As long as the impression of the trail is still visible, I think I’d be okay, but when I was there on the 2/22 it wasn’t and I kept getting off trail and going deep.
Also if there are any groups doing Rocky branch to Iso this weekend that would be good to know. I am too slow to join a group but do start real early and wouldn’t mind struggling along until a group passed me.
Thanks for any info:

The best place to check trail conditions is New England Trail Conditions. If you check the website, you'll see that Isolation has gots tons of traffic this week. Personally - if you want it, do it this weekend, not next. Saturday will probably be the better day.

Replying to my own post. I just checked Trails NH.com (just started using that site and didnt think to look), it looks like the trail wasn't fully broken out before the 3rd (Sunday) but has seen a lot of trafic, every day since, and is in pretty good shape as of yesterday. As long as there isn't a big snow dump between yesterday and Friday night, I may even try it Saturday. Will appreciate any snow reports from that area. Thanks

It was sure broken out well the previous Tuesday when we did it. I know that there was significant snow the next few days after that, but the base was really solid and I'm sure the new stuff should be well packed out from last weekend. I'm also sure that with the got forecast this weekend that Tim is right and there will be lots more traffic. Good luck getting #47 in the books!

It was sure broken out well the previous Tuesday when we did it. I know that there was significant snow the next few days after that, but the base was really solid and I'm sure the new stuff should be well packed out from last weekend. I'm also sure that with the got forecast this weekend that Tim is right and there will be lots more traffic. Good luck getting #47 in the books!
thanKs all. It looks like Sat is a go.
mtruman: actually it will be the big #48, I did Madison the day I bailed on Isolation for #47 so all that is left now is ISO. I am really psyched about this but not sure how I'm doimg it yet. I would have liked to drive up and hike Sat then stay at the shapleigh bunkhouse again but they are full Sat night. I thinking about either backpacking in Sat and sleeping at the BW Sat night or driving up friday night and grabbing some z's at the trailhead. Some times this works, sometimes the wmnf rangers kick me out of the TH.
Coming from RI a drive-up - hike drive back is just too much for thgis long of a hike.

mtruman: actually it will be the big #48, I did Madison the day I bailed on Isolation for #47 so all that is left now is ISO. I am really psyched about this but not sure how I'm doimg it yet. I would have liked to drive up and hike Sat then stay at the shapleigh bunkhouse again but they are full Sat night. I thinking about either backpacking in Sat and sleeping at the BW Sat night or driving up friday night and grabbing some z's at the trailhead. Some times this works, sometimes the wmnf rangers kick me out of the TH.
Coming from RI a drive-up - hike drive back is just too much for thgis long of a hike.

If I were you, I would consider getting up there Friday night and hiking early Saturday. The temperatures are going to be warm this weekend. Hiker Ed and a couple of others did Isolation on Monday and I doubt much snow has fallen that far north this week. The trail should still be gorgeous and by starting as early as you can (Saturday morning it will be fairly light out at 5:30/6am- next day we turn the clocks ahead), you can avoid heavy snow sticking on your snow shoes. The Engine Hill bushwack started a couple of minutes downhill from the height of land. By the way- I think Shapleigh is at least $42 or more a night. The Maple Leaf motel in N Conway is just $50- decent clean rooms and just 15 miles or so from the trailhead. And there is a hostel in Conway for $23. Good luck!
Lucky Laura

Coming from RI a drive-up - hike drive back is just too much for this long of a hike.

48? Better yet!! Perfect day and perfect place to finish! I agree with Laura - head up Friday night and get an early start. I hadn't noticed that you're from RI. I feel your pain with the single day drive up/back and hike thing. We've done it a lot, but I definitely wouldn't want to do it for one this long (and this far north). That would be a REALLY long day. Hope you find a place to stay and have a great day tomorrow!!!

48? Better yet!! Perfect day and perfect place to finish! I agree with Laura - head up Friday night and get an early start. I hadn't noticed that you're from RI. I feel your pain with the single day drive up/back and hike thing. We've done it a lot, but I definitely wouldn't want to do it for one this long (and this far north). That would be a REALLY long day. Hope you find a place to stay and have a great day tomorrow!!!
I'm taking Lucky Laura & Mtruman's advice, I am pulling out of my RI drive way in 10 minutes (8pm friday) will drive up tonight sleep in the back cab of my truck at the TH until about 5am and start. Hope no rangers wake me up and kick me out of the TH (like they did once before). I'll cover up good so they dont see me ;) Sounds like a good weekend, i suspwct I'll be passed by many hikers.

I hope you let us know how it went! Must have been a great day for it. Tell all!

Hoping that it was a successful and memorable 48th...

It was a fantastic day| Trail was well broken out and I met some good people.
I surprised myself and did it all in the daylight (barely)
Thanks for the congratulatory note, Lucky Laura (and the chocolate?)
and thanks to a lady who goes by "cindysmom" for finding my cellphone and leaving it at my truck.

details and most of the pictures are on my website at the following signature

It was a fantastic day| Trail was well broken out and I met some good people.
I surprised myself and did it all in the daylight (barely)
Thanks for the congratulatory note, Lucky Laura (and the chocolate?)
and thanks to a lady who goes by "cindysmom" for finding my cellphone and leaving it at my truck.

details and most of the pictures are on my website at the following signature

Congratulations! Your truck was the only one with RI plates so it was an easy guess. I verified with two men in the parking lot that you had summited and were en route back. I had no beer on hand so left the next best thing. So glad you finished and on such a fine day!

Lucky Laura

Sorry for the slow reply, but congratulations Marvin!! Glad you had such a nice day for your last one. I've gone back and read most of your blog posts from the rest of the journey and you've had quite the last couple of years. I'm sure this is just the beginning.

Congratulation! That's a lot of driving from RI:eek:

Yup, it's definitely a lot of driving from RI, but we RI hikers are tough!:rolleyes: We made the trip from RI to NH 18 times last year (plus a few to Maine). Our friends tell us that we must be nuts. My response is that it's either this or not hiking. Makes it an easy decision for me. I'm pretty sure Marvin agrees :)